Childish Gambino - Feels Like Summer

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I have to say seeing where this man's career has gone has floored me. When I first moved to NYC he was just sorta local popular and he was part of that comedy trio on youtube (derrick comedy), but now to see the stuff he makes is crazy.

Really liking this new video and the song. I loved the "this is America" video, but the song just wasn't to my liking. Feels like Summer on the other hand is a great song coupled with a somewhat less provocative but still entertaining video.

I think the most powerful part is Kanye being hugged by Michelle Obama.

Thoughts? Insults? Racism?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's September 28th. Summer ended a month ago. Shame this wasn't released in June when more people would care. Hope you're doing OK roke-a-stoke,

-sage0

edit: I don't like this MV, feels self-indulgent.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
It's September 28th. Summer ended a month ago. Shame this wasn't released in June when more people would care. Hope you're doing OK roke-a-stoke,

-sage0

edit: I don't like this MV, feels self-indulgent.

It's actually not about Summer, it's a song about Global Warming, fitting since it seems like Summer lasts longer than it used to.

Every day gets hotter than the one before
Running out of water, it's about to go down

Air that kill the bees that we depend upon

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
so deep roker while cameos of other Famous Black People for Singing appear throughout the video

no sir I don't like it

I really, really liked This is America tho

edit: roker you talk about careers a lot and stuff. I hope you are successful in yours, no homo.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I agree it's interesting to see how his career has grown. A college comedy troop on YT, and now he's in all forms of media.
I had no idea he did music back in the YT days.

His career path makes sense if you want to be in show business. He came at it from all angles.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I think he's a very interesting chap. Atlanta is a decent series, reminds me somewhat of 90s black america tv material, a lot which was good.
Him and maybe a few other high profile rappers (Kendrick Lamar etc.) seem to be Kanye underlings somewhat, which to some degree is great as they are truly dedicated to making refined music from/within the hip hop genre. I don't like Kanye (his music always starts with a bang but as it goes on it unravels and the words show a dullness to them not seemingly present at first).

In general though I like other up and coming rap, less cerebral/convoluted. But that just comes down to taste.

Edit: I'm sure you've heard this already Rokestar (from 2014). Its fuckin bonkers

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think he's a very interesting chap. Atlanta is a decent series, reminds me somewhat of 90s black america tv material, a lot which was good.
Him and maybe a few other high profile rappers (Kendrick Lamar etc.) seem to be Kanye underlings somewhat, which to some degree is great as they are truly dedicated to making refined music from/within the hip hop genre. I don't like Kanye (his music always starts with a bang but as it goes on it unravels and the words show a dullness to them not seemingly present at first).

In general though I like other up and coming rap, less cerebral/convoluted. But that just comes down to taste.

Kanye is a real piece of shit, end of line. He'll be ridiculous to attract attention for his latest album, his fan base is damn near religious, etc.

Oh, to be an artist who creates. C'est la vie DR.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Kanye is a real piece of shit, end of line. He'll be ridiculous to attract attention for his latest album, his fan base is damn near religious, etc.

Oh, to be an artist who creates. C'est la vie DR.

Fuck Kanye and his bullshit following, fuck anyone and their following! it's music and ain't any of us going to control that!

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Kanye worshippers are horrible
But so are Eminem followers, Drake followers, XTentacion (ríp) followers, JayZ followers, to a lesser degree Wu fans and Nas fans.
Eminem fanbase though.. fuck them.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
XXXtentacion was a terrible person who was incredibly abusive to at least one woman. Didn't deserve to be murdered, but he definitely shouldn't be deified.

Glover is one of a handful of people who could legitimately pull off the EGOT. His music used to be pretty awful, but yeah, now he's changed his style and he's a straight up heavyweight.

This is America reminds me of Anaconda by Nikki Minaj- okay to mediocre song that's better known for its music video than the actual music. TIA is far better than Anaconda, no doubt (anything is better than Anaconda), but the video is, as has been noted, waaaaaay better than the song is.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Kanye worshippers are horrible

GUILTY.

I like the old Kanye, not the new Kanye. Took me a long time to like him. His stuff after his mom died (sans My Dark Beautiful..) has't been good. Even though I don't consider his rhymes the best, I love his production work. Guy is a genius in the studio.

But so are Eminem followers

Still gets lots of love because ... DETROIT

Drake followers

annoying

XTentacion (ríp)

Maybe not shot dead, but should have been alive to go to jail.

JayZ followers

boring. Talks about being the greatest more than actually being the greatest.

to a lesser degree Wu fans and Nas fans.

c'mon, those guys are awesome.

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I've never heard or seen any of Childish Gambino's work before this, but I really liked this 'Feels Like Summer' video. For the animation style, choice of colour palette, and action to go so perfectly with the melody and lyric seems rare nowadays.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I've never heard or seen any of Childish Gambino's work before this, but I really liked this 'Feels Like Summer' video. For the animation style, choice of colour palette, and action to go so perfectly with the melody and lyric seems rare nowadays.

Pretty much this. Sat thru the whole video and really enjoyed it.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

c'mon, those guys are awesome.

Hah I know, just kind of trolling a bit.

As for X. A lot of these kids do stupid shit. Not an excuse but just saying.
Also I think his output as an artist was really interesting. I don't bop to it, prefer Zillakami and Ghostmane (not a massive fan but he's ok).
I liked some asap stuff a few years back..

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Glover is multi-talented.

But he is also says a lot of disgusting things about black women.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
But he is also says a lot of disgusting things about black women.

I've googled it to see what he said but the only thing I'm seeing is a ton of backlash for him not dating black women (he has a partner of Asian ethnicity and two kids with her).

What did he say exactly?