Dragon Ball Z Buu Yuu Retsuden (mega drive)

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
I'm just curious what the perception of this game is. It has always been one of my all time favourite fighting games and is my favourite DBZ fighting game. I just wish that I could speed it up by 15%. Although the Genesis lacks the colour palette of the snes offerings, it plays way better and takes more skill. I particularly prefer how much longer it takes to charge up your energy. This allows for more close quarters combat while still maintaining the massive fighting stages. If Hyper dimension maintained having massive stages in the same manner I might have given it the nod. The roster of characters is probably the best of all the 16 bit games (I wish it had Broly). I find that the gameplay mechanics are good...especially when compared to the super nintendo games. Since we're entering the age of people porting genesis games to the neo geo (xeno crisis), I thought I'd put this feeler out there. The Neo could use a great DBZ game and I think this or Yu Yu hakusho mayko toitsusen would be the best possible choices. Just imagine the cover art.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Solid entry in the Butoden series.

I still like Shin Butoden on Saturn most, though.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I played it and decided it was mostly shit. I've only played it a few times though, so my words are a little loose.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Yu Yu Hakusho Makyo Toitsusen is much better than MD DBZ.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
This was one of the first games I ever imported (from buy-rite). I primarily played it on the nomad so I could have a portable dbz fighting game. It doesn’t stand up to other fighters of the time such as Treasure’s Yuu Yuu Hakusho fighter, but I really enjoyed this one. These days I tend to reach for Butouden 3 more than this title, but it’s a solid fun dbz game none the less (and pretty much your only dbz option on the megadrive).

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
It was my first import too! I think I got mine from a company called Japan videogames. They used to advertise in the back of EGM. I can still vividly remember walking out of school in the 7th grade and my mom had the game waiting for me on the seat. I don't know why it's my fav DBZ game but I just find the gameplay and the jumping and sliding trips and great animations like Ginyu's body change so compelling. I thought it was pimp shit.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
I think it's quite a solid entry in the Butoden series. Sure it's not as good looking as the SNES ones (better than 1 tho) and slower compared to 3 (which is the one which plays best in spite of its shortcomings), but it has its own good amount of stuff. As mentioned, the roster is quite interesting (mostly the same as the first arcade) and I love how every character has its own storyline and endings. Music is quite good too, though FX are horrible.

About speed, I assume you're playing in Turbo mode? The default speed is really slow...

It was nice for its time (especially if you didn't own a SNES), but it really doesn't have a lot to offer nowadays. I still think hyperdimension is the most interesting DBZ fighter of the 16bit era.

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
oh shit! there's a turbo mode cheat! I had no idea! I can't wait to break this out after work. The story mode factor in this game is great, too.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
oh shit! there's a turbo mode cheat! I had no idea! I can't wait to break this out after work. The story mode factor in this game is great, too.

Yes, IIRC you have to power up the game holding A & B, press start when Goku appears and the sky will turn orange in the title screen. Plays quite better.

One thing that annoyed me is how the game advertises 6 button controller compatibility on the box, yet the extra buttons are not used at all. Curious stuff...