Predicting the crash of Neo Geo prices

When will Neo Geo games drop in value?

• Total voters

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Some of you think that your treasured video games will keep going up and up in value!

Others think it’s a bubble that’s going to pop once the core SNK generation have popped their clogs.

Or perhaps gaming nerds will just sell their lumps of plastic for more useful stuff as they grow older. There is a theory that hobbies fall a curve of deminshing returns, at some point your brain is over saturated and doesn’t need anymore.

Elvis memorabilia, stamp collections and other hobbies have bottomed out or fallen drastically. Could the same happen to the Neo?

I think that Neo Geo stuff will fall drastically in value within my lifetime (I’m 30), but that is not to say it will happen soon.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I think the prices will drop when people like us loose interest.

The younger generations will have little to no interest in Neo Geo (or prob any other old system) So when we all either drop dead or want to cash out due to life reasons then who will buy the stuff?

No demand = Low prices.

I still think the retro scene is running on a bit of a "fad" thing at the moment which the console manufacturers are cashing in on with the release of the mini's etc.
I think at some point in the not so distant future it will go back to just being those geeks among us that are still into retro gaming.

Thats my opinion anyways.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Tomorrow. Better sell all your good stuff to me today for 50 dollars shipped, otherwise it'll be worthless.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I understand the tactic here.

Try to strike fear into collectors so they sell off their gems because their investment will "lose value".

Your tricks will not affect my investments, believe me.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member

Try to strike fear into collectors so they sell off their gems because their investment will "lose value".

Your tricks will not affect my investments, believe me.
Bigg Tyme retirement strategy: 5% commodities, 5% currencies, 90% homecarts. Everyone can marvel at your investing prowess as you greet them at the Wal-Mart.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Sell it, be free of the chastity of plastic.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Bigg Tyme retirement strategy: 5% commodities, 5% currencies, 90% homecarts. Everyone can marvel at your investing prowess as you greet them at the Wal-Mart.

How about I greet you at the gates of envy. Too late, sounds like you've already entered. Better enjoy your stay.

Maybe you can read the wall street journal there.

I've been at this plan for a long time, you'll know all about the results in time.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I bought a retro pie off of the facebook at that has 12k games on it, I'm selling all my NES and SNES stuff and never looking back. Only keeping select DC, Saturn games and everything Post 1999/2000. No need to keep it when I can boot up the retropie and play it on there. I'm keeping all my Neo stuff of course.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Probably sooner than people think.
when are all you fucks retiring?

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Bit Rot
Lump'o plastic
The kids live in virtual reality
We all die and with us our obsessions.

The only thing that will ever be interesting in the future about any of this is the art and maybe the original art much more so

MS1 may be worth a million bucks un 30 years tho.
But just that game
And Kizuna.
Because they respond to seperate logic. They represent value

Some games are bullion.

Edit: some members have original handmade snk art right? Those are the lucky ones. I would love a Sam Spirits piece

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, the people who treat homecarts (or any games) as investments have always cracked me up.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I think the prices will drop when people like us loose interest.

The younger generations will have little to no interest in Neo Geo (or prob any other old system)
No demand = Low prices.

Exactly. There might be a few kids that like retro shit in 25 to 50 years but nowhere near the obsession there currently is.

Busted :tickled:

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Ugh, buying video games as investments is silly and the wrong reason to be into it in the first place; their actual or perceived worth doesn't really matter if you're into games for the fun of playing games, whether that be alone, with friends, or with family.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Exactly. There might be a few kids that like retro shit in 25 to 50 years but nowhere near the obsession there currently is.
Plus, there's going to be a point where the motherboards no longer work. Homecarts will be a bunch of doorstops then.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Could the same happen to the Neo?

I wish it would, but as long as video games remain at the top of the entertainment food chain, it won't happen. The crown achievement of 2D sprite art will always spawn interest among hobbyist circles. And wallets.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Within the next 10-20 years as the fans get old and the newer gen stops giving a fuck.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Honestly, If I woke up tomorrow and all my Neo carts where worthless I wouldnt care. I bought Neo games to play, not to flip.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah, the people who treat homecarts (or any games) as investments have always cracked me up.

Sure, but at the same time if you've got theoretically - just, ya know, theoretically - about $8k worth of video games that your mom just GAVE AWAY to some kid who helped her move shit in the basement, ya know, I just, I don't know where I'm going with this. She just gave them all away, man.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
If I look at stuff like Vinyl, some of it has not only maintained it's value but gone up to crazy prices, but on the other hand, more obscure shit (45s from the 1950s) have just plummeted, primarily because well ... most of the fans of that sort of music died. It's a crapshoot and no way to predict it. If the kids born today care about classic gaming it'll matter, but if they move on, well, they'll be in a box at some antique store collecting dust.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
It's hard to say. I never would have thought they would skyrocket like they have. I think, if anything, they will be collected for the cover art. Most games that is.

On the other hand, Neo Geo games have been ported to every other platform known to man via Downloads. Maybe the kids will like those and look to the original source material.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
On the other hand, Neo Geo games have been ported to every other platform known to man via Downloads. Maybe the kids will like those and look to the original source material.

Those who collect can only hope.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Prices are not going down. There are a finite number of games out there and the collections have already been made. Those who have them are not going to sell them off, not now. And if they do, certainly not at bro prices...why would they?

I mean 8man is not going to wake up one morning and say “hey I need to sell all my homecarts to fund a Mario themed ice-skating rink in my back yard”.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I'm pretty certain that 99.99% of all games will fall in prices except for those which are famous for their rarity and market value 5-10 games will stay expensive, transcend videogame collecting and be considered important cultural items which embody and represent the history of old videogaming.

The way things are, the fact computers and electronic gadgets are 70-80% of our daily lives, coomputers such as the first Mac already demand hundreds of thousands of dollars at auction. They represent something akin to The first printing press and their importance for at least the next (few?) Century will only grow. Doesn't matter if it works. The value here is related to the fetish and significance.
Museums where all about the mummies and marble sculptures up until now. This is changing and will change further with the passage of time

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm pretty certain that 99.99% of all games will fall in prices except for those which are famous for their rarity and market value 5-10 games will stay expensive, transcend videogame collecting and be considered important cultural items which embody and represent the history of old videogaming.

The way things are, the fact computers and electronic gadgets are 70-80% of our daily lives, coomputers such as the first Mac already demand hundreds of thousands of dollars at auction. They represent something akin to The first printing press and their importance for at least the next (few?) Century will only grow. Doesn't matter if it works. The value here is related to the fetish and significance.
Museums where all about the mummies and marble sculptures up until now. This is changing and will change further with the passage of time

Comparing thousand+ year old mummies with video games, I'm truly living in the new age.