Silhouette Mirage - late to the muthaphukin party

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
This game is a ton of fun. Has a shit ton of dialogue, but it's really fun. I wish I would have played around with this when I had a Saturn but apparently I'm playing an inferior PS1 version (that's still a ton of fun)

Anyone else into this?

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I haven’t played too much of it myslef, but evidently Working Designs made the game more difficult during localization. Some peeps prefer the Saturn version because the difficulty is the way it really should be.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Is it fun or is it fun? but dialogue and fun don't go together...

Yeah. You can speed through it fortunately. You should give it a shot or don't.

Beat it years ago on Saturn, PS1 version is broken as crap.

If the ps1 version is half the game that is, then that's awesome.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Saturn version pros:
Better graphics.

PS1 pros:
Better looking movies.
Additional movies.
1 extra boss.

From the back of the US manual:

"The major change was in making the game harder than the Japanese release. We accomplished this in two ways. First, the cost of weapons was increased and the monsters made more damaging. Second, the parasites were made to use a bit of spirit power when they were used, which made it necessary for the player to replenish this power. We accomplished this by adding a "spirit stealing" power feature where the player could "steal" spirit power from enemies. In the Japanese version, the player merely reduced the enemy spirit power if the attributes were the same.

Another change for the better was that the original had "Now Loading" screens between levels, and we added screens that were a bit more fun to look at.

The font of the in-game text was changed to something more computer-like and dual shock support added.

The title screen was fairly radically changed, with the "Options" and "Status" items being added. "Status" was added so players could track their progress in finishing all the branches of the game. Ones that do might get a nice surprise that is also exclusive to the US release!

Dual Memory card support added.

The ending credits roll (not closing animation) was made interactive, and of course the song was re-recorded into English.

All the animations were re-mastered and re-compressed to look better than any release of the Japanese game.

And finally, last but not least, the Lunar 2 preview movie was added to the disc."

Anyways, this is a really fantastic game, one of my favorites on the PS1 even if WD butchered it. Essentially the weirdest change WD did is made it near impossible to max out a weapon's power and then have the weapon's power go down if you use it too much (??? why would they do that). This forces the player to just stick with a single weapon the whole game to power it up instead of trying the others.

Now the last time I played this was in 2006, but at that time I also really enjoyed the story and dialogue between characters. Treasure games really have the best stories.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Saturn version pros:
Better graphics.

PS1 pros:
Better looking movies.
Additional movies.
1 extra boss.

From the back of the US manual:

"The major change was in making the game harder than the Japanese release. We accomplished this in two ways. First, the cost of weapons was increased and the monsters made more damaging. Second, the parasites were made to use a bit of spirit power when they were used, which made it necessary for the player to replenish this power. We accomplished this by adding a "spirit stealing" power feature where the player could "steal" spirit power from enemies. In the Japanese version, the player merely reduced the enemy spirit power if the attributes were the same.

Another change for the better was that the original had "Now Loading" screens between levels, and we added screens that were a bit more fun to look at.

The font of the in-game text was changed to something more computer-like and dual shock support added.

The title screen was fairly radically changed, with the "Options" and "Status" items being added. "Status" was added so players could track their progress in finishing all the branches of the game. Ones that do might get a nice surprise that is also exclusive to the US release!

Dual Memory card support added.

The ending credits roll (not closing animation) was made interactive, and of course the song was re-recorded into English.

All the animations were re-mastered and re-compressed to look better than any release of the Japanese game.

And finally, last but not least, the Lunar 2 preview movie was added to the disc."

Anyways, this is a really fantastic game, one of my favorites on the PS1 even if WD butchered it. Essentially the weirdest change WD did is made it near impossible to max out a weapon's power and then have the weapon's power go down if you use it too much (??? why would they do that). This forces the player to just stick with a single weapon the whole game to power it up instead of trying the others.

Now the last time I played this was in 2006, but at that time I also really enjoyed the story and dialogue between characters. Treasure games really have the best stories.

Wow that was a really good post. Thanks.

Maybe I'll play the Saturn version when I build a gaming PC that can run the Saturn emulator properly. Not sure my laptop can run it (but it might be able to, fucking thing has surprised me so far.)

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I actually forgot I had a copy. I bought it slightly used at an EB Games years ago and only finally played it the other day. Lots of different button presses, but it meshes pretty well when put into action. I only have the PS1 copy, but I think I bought it for only $5.99 back in 2005 or 2006.