VideoGameResource NeoGeo issues, just a warning that you may want to check your carts

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
Friend of mine ended up ordering a cart from there listed only with graphics issues, but had arrived physically busted, and had also clearly been heavily soaked in water prior and not dried out soon enough. The label looked ready to fall off the cart and it smelled pretty bad. None of this was listed in the details, and the cart did not match the stock pic condition wise. He had to do a return because of the shell damage.

After he left feedback the seller started slamming him with calls to his phone and other email mess denying responsibility and blaming the buyer. Typical scammer seller stuff. I was there when my friend opened the package, so I know what the cart looked like, and it most definitely did not match the condition of the one pictured in the auction.

I am not going to get into the details of all of that, but it is a ongoing mess and did make my friend physically reexamine his other buys from this seller, inside and out, because he had gotten a loose Riding Hero cart prior that had a heavily water damaged manual. That seemed like more then just a coincidence for him at this point with this returned cart smelling like it had been in a flood.

The Riding Hero cart looked fine though on the exterior and worked fine so he didn't care much about the manual issue at the time. Same with all the other carts he got from this guy. On the outside they look fine. But he popped them all open just to make sure the guy has not been dumping flood damaged carts on ebay over the past couple years, and he did find rust in his Riding Hero cart.

He also found that one of the Magician Lord carts had been worked on prior. One of the chips evidently had damage that was repaired, like legs were cut away in sections and bridged to the pcb with solder. I have seen this kind of repair work before on arcade boards, and its usually related to rust damage.

There is also wires all over the back of the pcb. The cart does work fine according to him, but when I saw the mess, tbh I was surprised it does. He is going to be doing clean up work on that mess, but obviously it affects the value of the cart compared to what he originally paid the seller.

The rest of his carts were fine though, so only two out of the six he currently has have any issues. The seller is located in Florida near the ocean, so I wonder if they either had a flood issue prior, or just have a moisture control issue in general. Either way, no offense to my friend, but Im glad it was him that got this stuff and not me. I had been watching this sellers listings for awhile. I am glad I never pulled the trigger on any of them.

I'm trying to talk him into handing over the damaged Magician Lord to me to convert over to MVS for him so the chips are at least on better condition pcbs. Then at least he will have a better condition copy on both formats. Will see how that goes. ;)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Why did you friend keep buying from this guy?

And why did he buy Riding Hero?

Last edited:

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
Originally he was not aware of any issues with his carts, because he did not pop them open prior. Riding Hero was the last cart he got from this guy prior to the one he had to return. As for him actually buying Riding Hero. LOL, ikr. Who plays that crap? He seems to like it. He also loves crap like 3 Count Bout and Puzzle De Pon, so that goes without saying.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
I bought from this dude before. I bought a loose Magician Lord, Riding Hero, and The Super Spy. I had an ebay coupon and it was like $60 for all three games. My Riding Hero didn't work, but he exchanged it right away.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I got a bunk nos super spy from them several years ago and they gave me a hassle trying to return it. Ended up getting my money back and told them to fuck off.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Ahh the dilemmas of those who still buy neo geo games. Meanwhile with the NeoSD...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've bought from this dude before and everything went fine, but I'm pretty sure he ran out of the good Neo stock he had years ago so anything you order from him now is the worst of the worst of the big lots he picked up long ago.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Lol, its not if your cool with crackling and glitched audio samples.

Just to be clear, are we talking about all games that use PCM2 encryption having these issues?

King of Fighters 2002
King of Fighters 2003
Matrimelee
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 5
Pochi & Nyaa
Rage of the Dragons
Samurai Shodown 5
Samurai Shodown 5 Special

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Just to be clear, are we talking about all games that use PCM2 encryption having these issues?

King of Fighters 2002
King of Fighters 2003
Matrimelee
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 5
Pochi & Nyaa
Rage of the Dragons
Samurai Shodown 5
Samurai Shodown 5 Special

Potentially yes, its not every sound sample as it only affects the first few bytes of the ROM so where those decrypted bytes fall will depend on when and where an issue occurs in game. For SamShoV Special it happened to be the Announcer voice for "Basara".

Raz found out what the correct bytes where suppose to be for SamShoV and SamShoV Special so they included a fix for those two games in the NeoBuilder software.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Lol, its not if your cool with crackling and glitched audio samples.

Next time I play neo geo I'll painstakingly analyse all the sounds of each PCM2 game instead of actually playing it.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Next time I play neo geo I'll painstakingly analyse all the sounds of each PCM2 game instead of actually playing it.

If thats your argument, why not sell your NeoSD and buy a 161-in-1? They're like $60 now.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If thats your argument, why not sell your NeoSD and buy a 161-in-1? They're like $60 now.

Hardly accurate considering the 161-in-1 doesn't cover the entire library of PCM2 games nor does it cover the entirety of all Neo Geo titles.

Again, explain why micro issues like the PCM2 emulation are enough to warrant a downgrade from a NeoSD to a 161-in-1 ?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Hardly accurate considering the 161-in-1 doesn't cover the entire library of PCM2 games nor does it cover the entirety of all Neo Geo titles.

Again, explain why micro issues like the PCM2 emulation are enough to warrant a downgrade from a NeoSD to a 161-in-1 ?

In your case, if you arnt "painstakingly analyzing the sounds" whats it matter? Hell sell all your Neo stuff and just use a Rpi.

I never said 161-in-1 was better than NeoSD, or that anyone should downgrade to a 161-in-1. Except for maybe you, since having issues in your games is a non-problem.

Dont rag on people who want to buy Neo carts when the alternative your pushing is sub par.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
In your case, if you arnt "painstakingly analyzing the sounds" whats it matter? Hell sell all your Neo stuff and just use a Rpi.

I never said 161-in-1 was better than NeoSD, or that anyone should downgrade to a 161-in-1. Except for maybe you, since having issues in your games is a non-problem.

Dont rag on people who want to buy Neo carts when the alternative your pushing is sub par.

Look at you react, all you've got is the PCM2 issues.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I've bought from this dude before and everything went fine, but I'm pretty sure he ran out of the good Neo stock he had years ago so anything you order from him now is the worst of the worst of the big lots he picked up long ago.

Yup. Dem cheap NOS AES scoopin' days are long gone. I bought various things off him over the years and never had issues, although I've had some nearly Yaton level packaging in some cases.