161 in 1 Cartridge (Rev. 2) not booting on MV-1C but working on MV-1FZ

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
Hey guys

I have a Rev 2 161 in 1 Cartridge which is working on my MV-1FZ but not working on my MV-1C. Other game cartridges work on both mainboards without issues.

I tried the stability fix from neo-geo-dev already as well as the capacitor mod without any luck.

It seems it freezes on the first self test pattern on the MV-1C.

I made a short video (sorry for the bad video it was 5:30AM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYq6WLayHR0&feature=youtu.be

Any Ideas ? The Contacts and everything are good - I reflowed the whole cartridge and gave it a ultrasonic cleaning with the same results.

Thanks

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I would say the issue is on the MV-1C.

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
I would say the issue is on the MV-1C.

Well probably - however all other Game Cartridges work..
One thing that is strange is that the self test that the neo geo always does when booting (the patterns and green screen) seem to be a lot faster on the MV-1FZ compared to my MV-1C.
However like said earlier - I tested other game cartridges that work flawlessly on both mainboards

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
With the screen being static like that, it gives the impression the board isn't getting enough power as the watchdog should be kicking in. I would check the voltage of the 5V rail on the jamma edge when you have the 161in1 cart plugged in and the MV-1C powered on.

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
With the screen being static like that, it gives the impression the board isn't getting enough power as the watchdog should be kicking in. I would check the voltage of the 5V rail on the jamma edge when you have the 161in1 cart plugged in and the MV-1C powered on.

Hey

The 5V Rail should be fine.. I also got a new power supply 5A and it's the same with that one.. Voltage is around 5.12V

Also all the other games I have work just fine

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
You need to check the voltage while the cart is plugged in and the board is powered. Bootlegs have a tendency to draw extra power which can cause the voltage to drop.

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
You need to check the voltage while the cart is plugged in and the board is powered. Bootlegs have a tendency to draw extra power which can cause the voltage to drop.

With the Cart inserted (161 in 1) I still have 5.01V.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Have you got original kof2003 or SVC and do both of those work on this MVS?

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
Have you got original kof2003 or SVC and do both of those work on this MVS?

I am afraid I only have Super Side Kicks 2 and Soccer Brawl to test.
And it's strange with the same power supply on the MV-1FZ it will work (and show same voltage).

Only on my MV-1C it will not go past the self test

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
Just tested another Power Supply (7A) that will hold the voltage up to 5.18V.. Same result - I don't think its power related anymore

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I am afraid I only have Super Side Kicks 2 and Soccer Brawl to test.
And it's strange with the same power supply on the MV-1FZ it will work (and show same voltage).

Only on my MV-1C it will not go past the self test

Neither of those games use the area that might cause the issues you have.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Try finding a copy of Samurai Shodown IV. If it boots up with a bank error, that is related to why multi-carts don't work.

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
Try finding a copy of Samurai Shodown IV. If it boots up with a bank error, that is related to why multi-carts don't work.

Thanks but I rather try my luck with a 138 in 1 Cart that I bought now. I think the 161 in 1 has some issues.
Also on the MV-1FZ I will get graphic glitches and reboots. The supplier from Aliexpress says its my power supply - however I tried 3 different supplies.. all of them have a lot of juice (5A, 10A) and the voltage stays stable.. Another 50 bucks lost from chinese quality control.. whatever :(

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
Quick update.. luckily after making a longer "evidence" video Aliexpress decided in my favor and I will get the amount of the Cartridge refunded since also I will have illegal instructions errors even on the console where the Cart can boot - so there is definitely something wrong with it.

Also I found it interesting that in some webshop from a Switzerland located company that is consolizing MV-1C's it clearly stated "this product is not multicart compatible" So I wonder if there is something to the MV-1C ?

Attachments

• as432.JPG
    as432.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 66

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Also I found it interesting that in some webshop from a Switzerland located company that is consolizing MV-1C's it clearly stated "this product is not multicart compatible" So I wonder if there is something to the MV-1C ?

No, that is probably simply their way of saying 'we will not offer support for issues that happen when using bootlegs on our product'.

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
No, that is probably simply their way of saying 'we will not offer support for issues that happen when using bootlegs on our product'.

Fair enough.. would also make sense. I hope I have more luck with my 138 in 1 Cartridge that will arrive soon.. Just not sure where to put that extra PCB as my case doesn't have extra space so I might have to jumper wire all the pins

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
So I got another MV-1C and a new 161 in 1 Cartridge

Test 1:
New 161 in 1 Cartridge on old MV-1C -> Same result will not boot and freeze with strange pattern

Test 2:
New 161 in 1 Cartridge in new MV-1C -> Works flawlessly

Test 3:
Original Cartridge on old MV-1C -> Flawless

Test 4:
Original Cartrdige on new MV-1C -> Flawless

So something that is exclusive to the 161 in 1 Cartridge is not working on my old MV-1C while it is working on my new MV-1C Board.
However all original games will work without any issues on both machines.. very strange

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
As mentioned before, if you have not now done so, you need to test the larger original games with that MC-1C before you can say that all original games work on it and not only the 161in1. Try original svc or kof2003.

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
As mentioned before, if you have not now done so, you need to test the larger original games with that MC-1C before you can say that all original games work on it and not only the 161in1. Try original svc or kof2003.

I don't have those carts - but let's say the bigger carts don't work, what could be the issue then ?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
It could be some of the lines on the cartridge connector that are not used by the smaller games. Could be worth looking at PWAIT0, PWAIT1 and PDTACT for example.

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
It could be some of the lines on the cartridge connector that are not used by the smaller games. Could be worth looking at PWAIT0, PWAIT1 and PDTACT for example.

I just did a further Test.. the 138 in 1 Cartridge freezes at the same screen.
So its most definitely something with the size.. :(

The Traces to the cart look good.

Attachments

• pattern_freeze.JPG
    pattern_freeze.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 26

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I think that confirms it for you that the issue is with the MV-1C.

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
I think that confirms it for you that the issue is with the MV-1C.

Yes definitely the MV-1C itself. Will try reflowing the board. Do you happen to know to which IC could be causing such an issue with freezing directly in the self test only on big carts ?