What's the Consoles to collect for right now? From a bang for the buck standpoint.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
Original Xbox is pretty cheap at this point to collect for as far as I know, but they're a bit of a pain in the ass to keep running. All of them have a clock capacitor that needs to be removed because it leaks acid onto the logicboard that ruins traces (1.6 Xboxes however need to have it replaced as they brick without that cap), and it's also crucial to hardmod/TSOP them to prevent them from being permanently bricked when the internal HDD inevitably craps out, so you can unlock the board and drop in a replacement drive before/when the time comes.

Don't know much about the 360, but I think that's also pretty cheap right now for the most part. But then you still have to hope and pray your console doesn't crap out with a RROD.

Fairly sure the 1.6 Xboxes came with a higher quality clock capacitor that rarely needs replacing.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I can understand someone being a big N64 fan. Especially if it was their first or second console. Gamecube is horrible though. One of the worst Nintendo consoles aside from a few good 1st party titles. Which have mostly been rereleased on later consoles. Making the system even more useless.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I can understand someone being a big N64 fan. Especially if it was their first or second console. Gamecube is horrible though. One of the worst Nintendo consoles aside from a few good 1st party titles. Which have mostly been rereleased on later consoles. Making the system even more useless.

When did they re-release F-Zero GX, Super Mario Sunshine, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Baten Kaitos, Super Smash Bros Melee, Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, Animal Crossing, Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 and 3, 1080 Avalanche, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Paper Mario 2, Luigi's Mansion, Cubivore, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, or Billy Hatcher?

And games like Wind Waker or Metroid Prime 1 and 2 being ported to consoles much later didn't take away from how great they were on the Gamecube at the time.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I disagree. GameCube was much much better than N64, especially if it was your only console. It ended up getting most of the big 3rd party stuff including EA games, THPS, shooters, so you could get by with only a cube and feel like you didn’t miss out too much. Not the case with N64 which had terrible droughts.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

False.

Tech&Music

Another Striker

While I don't fully agree on your assessment of the GC, it is kinda hard to justify having a GameCube next to a GC-compatible Wii, unless you're gonna be using the GameBoy Player. Which is most excellent in combination with the homebrew GBI software.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
XBox was way fucking shittier than Gamecube. first of all, the gamecube is a cube instead of a box, and 2nd of all, the XBox always looked so American that it was repulsive. Big, huge, heavy piece of shit with like no games on it besides Jet Set Radio and Morrowind

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
XBox was way fucking shittier than Gamecube. first of all, the gamecube is a cube instead of a box, and 2nd of all, the XBox always looked so American that it was repulsive. Big, huge, heavy piece of shit with like no games on it besides Jet Set Radio and Morrowind

No.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

The first 2 Halo's at the time were amazing, Ninja Gaiden Black, Star Wars KOTOR, Jade Empire, Forza, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Outrun2, Fable, Dead or Alive 3, The Splinter Cells played and looked better, The Sports games all played and looked better on the Xbox.

It had a hard time competing with the PS2 but it was superior to the GC IMO. It can also be used as awesome Rom Box. It was definitely the most powerful console of its era and it really showed off what it could do with the exclusives it had.

The Gamecubes had the Resident Evil's and the Mario and Zelda games which were awesome. Also if Jrpg's and stuff like that are your thing I could understand why you would prefer the GC but the OG Xbox is a Great Console.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
It’s hard to overstate how big a deal Halo was at the time. That was pretty much all I ever played with friends for years. It was the fortnite of 2001/2002

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I think that in 10 years, Wii-U is going to be a rather expensive system to collect for.

There are some really great games on the system that appeal to a lot of people, and they didn't sell that well.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It’s hard to understate how big a deal Halo was at the time. That was pretty much all I ever played with friends for years. It was the fortnite of 2001/2002

Yea Bro, Same here. I spent so much time playing Halo 2 Multiplayer. The Halo Series is what I think really put the Xbox on the Map.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I like Nintendo consoles because if I got to a yard sale and they are advertising Nintendo, there is a good chance that there are good games.

Any other system, and the games are usually trash. I hope you like 3rd person shooters and atv racing games.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I never got the big deal with Halo, Admittedly I was still PC gaming then and had a PS2 so maybe I just didn't appreciate it but even playing it years later I dont see the big deal.

As for the GC, I think it was a underrated little diamond in the rough.
8 player LAN mario kart has not been done since as far as I am aware and it had some great titles inc the RE remake.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Halo had a great story mode.

And it was one of the first games to really do 3d shooting well on a console.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
8 player LAN mario kart has not been done since as far as I am aware

Nintendo neglected LAN Play for most of the MK games after Double Dash (I mean, DS and 3DS can do local multi-console multiplayer wirelessly, so it kinda counts), but apparently they brought it back, because Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Switch supports 12 player LAN if you have a compatible USB-to-Ethernet adapter for each Switch.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Nintendo neglected LAN Play for most of the MK games after Double Dash (I mean, DS and 3DS can do local multi-console multiplayer wirelessly, so it kinda counts), but apparently they brought it back, because Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Switch supports 12 player LAN if you have a compatible USB-to-Ethernet adapter for each Switch.

Interesting! Thanks.

I thought it was a great feature but very neglected by Nintendo.

My ms wants 8 player LAN MK at our wedding LOL

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I think that in 10 years, Wii-U is going to be a rather expensive system to collect for.

There are some really great games on the system that appeal to a lot of people, and they didn't sell that well.

Hard to say, really. I do agree there are plenty of great games on the U. Of course if you want to play Half-Call of Warfare Cry 19 you won't find it on the U, though.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I used to think Wii U would eventually be a big collector's item down the road, but since most of the better games are now ported to switch I don't think that will be the case. Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong, Mario/Luigi U, Toad, Yoshi and Kirby (I think), Zelda Warriors, Breath of the Wild, and probably more have all been ported and play better on Switch or have been ported and play pretty well on 3DS. The only big stuff I can think of that hasn't is Mario 3D Land (which is a no-brainer to port to switch at some point), Wind Waker/TP HD, Pikmin 3, and maybe Wonderful 101. Anything else is just not that good or was so dependent on online/Miiverse that there'll be no point collecting it if you have any interest whatsoever in actually playing the game.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Anything else is just not that good or was so dependent on online/Miiverse that there'll be no point collecting it if you have any interest whatsoever in actually playing the game.

But people love underdogs and the trashy plastic screen has potential to become the vintage gadget in the near future.