What's the Consoles to collect for right now? From a bang for the buck standpoint.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
If you really want to keep fat PS3's alive you should open them up and replace the thermal paste + install homebrew to set the fan at a decent speed. Most never go past 26% fan duty cycle . Almost all have pretty shit thermal paste, sometimes even the IHS itself on the cpu/gpu.

I set mine at 40% and the temperatures are 47-54 celsius on load. It can ramp up the fan speed higher if you set a curve too.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I never even thought to change the fan speed but I have given thought to the thermal paste as it would be 12 years old by now!

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
in the uk, most ps2 games are easily bought under £5, even on ebay.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I'd also say PS2 and Gamecube. I dunno anything about MSFT consoles though, never owned one. If I had to guess, values on these would go up, but by then I probably won't give a shit about gaming anymore. Plenty of great games available on those consoles for cheap. Wii games seem to still be relatively reasonable too.

Oh, if portables are included, a Lynx. Srsly. Tons of great games on there, I prefer it over the gamegear any day.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'd also say PS2 and Gamecube. I dunno anything about MSFT consoles though, never owned one. If I had to guess, values on these would go up, but by then I probably won't give a shit about gaming anymore. Plenty of great games available on those consoles for cheap. Wii games seem to still be relatively reasonable too.

Oh, if portables are included, a Lynx. Srsly. Tons of great games on there, I prefer it over the gamegear any day.

I like the Lynx a lot too but in my book it doesn't have anything as good as the two GG Shinobi titles.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
My new Raiden arrived for my Lynx. The case is just a cd with no holder for the cart...cheap as hell. The cart bounces all over inside. A box would have been better.

Now to play it...soon.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Yup, welcome to some of the Telegames releases.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
If you really want to keep fat PS3's alive you should open them up and replace the thermal paste + install homebrew to set the fan at a decent speed. Most never go past 26% fan duty cycle . Almost all have pretty shit thermal paste, sometimes even the IHS itself on the cpu/gpu.

I set mine at 40% and the temperatures are 47-54 celsius on load. It can ramp up the fan speed higher if you set a curve too.

Just wondering...how does thermal paste address issues with the laser?

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
It won't but most PS3s die from yellow light of death in my experience due to poor application of the thermal paste. I've also seen PS3's stop reading discs due to lubrication building up on the lens (it can come from the foam/tray loading of the cd) or on the disc itself. Mine leaves them on the disc. Not a big deal since I can wipe them off the blu-ray.

Here is what one of mine looked like when I replaced it several years ago.

2wmns7l.jpg

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Good idea that Chu Chu.
Must admit I have never thought about doing anything with my last PS3. It worked fine when it Went in the box after getting my PS4 though.
May look into doing that at some point.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
I dunno anything about MSFT consoles though, never owned one.

Original Xbox is pretty cheap at this point to collect for as far as I know, but they're a bit of a pain in the ass to keep running. All of them have a clock capacitor that needs to be removed because it leaks acid onto the logicboard that ruins traces (1.6 Xboxes however need to have it replaced as they brick without that cap), and it's also crucial to hardmod/TSOP them to prevent them from being permanently bricked when the internal HDD inevitably craps out, so you can unlock the board and drop in a replacement drive before/when the time comes.

Don't know much about the 360, but I think that's also pretty cheap right now for the most part. But then you still have to hope and pray your console doesn't crap out with a RROD.

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Wii U right now is cheap as hell to collect for. So many good titles that can be had for cheap.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The only problem with collecting for the WII U is that most titles are on the switch. Makes sense if you don't have a Switch.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Wii U right now is cheap as hell to collect for. So many good titles that can be had for cheap.

In my mind the Wii U is still equivalent to something like the Sega CD...what's a list of good games? Nintendo really dropped the ball there, incredible they could recover.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd say any system with a good flash cart or that can read CDR/DVDRs without much trouble.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
If im not mistaken should the xbox hdd die can't you just install a modchip and unlock a hdd anyhow?

Another common problem I see is the traces that run to the power/eject/power off being corroded. Mine will stay powered on if I plug it in and I can't turn it off unless I unplug the cord.

When it gets worse it can turn off the system randomly or not power on at all. From what I've read these traces must've been contaminated from the factory.

In any case I ordered some wire and plan to run jumper wires to fix this issue.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
If im not mistaken should the xbox hdd die can't you just install a modchip and unlock a hdd anyhow?

I suppose you could, but I would still suggest TSOPing or hardmodding before the HDD craps out just so it's fixed for pretty much good, and it won't be a worse pain in the ass when you just want to play some Xbox and you unexpectedly find it has died. But either way, it is a bit of a PITA for collectors without some decent soldering/modding skills. But OTOH an Xbox is best modded anyways. DVD Drives also fail, so having a big HDD with backups of your collection of games is also definitely a good thing to have. Long story short, finding a decently modded Xbox isn't hard (my thrift shop find Xbox already had an Alladin chip installed), and is pretty much the way to go.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
In my mind the Wii U is still equivalent to something like the Sega CD...what's a list of good games? Nintendo really dropped the ball there, incredible they could recover.

Comparing it the Sega CD is generous. A lot closer to the Virtual Boy. I'm waiting for Twilight Princess and Windwaker to be ported to the switch so I can throw my Wii-U in the dumpster where it belongs.

I understand this, but I normally resort to flash and CDR's for expensive games, and translations. Reason being, if I have a pile of CD's, or a flash cart with 300 ROMs, I never actually finish a game. I just play 10 different games over a 2 hour period and accomplish nothing. This is why flash carts are perfect for Neo Geo BTW.

This is also one of the main reasons I sold most of my collection. I feel the less games you own, the better chance you have to actually complete them.

Also, i am still partially collectard. I like reading the original manuals, and checking out the disc and cart art. That is part of the experience for me.

Anyway, tell me more about Lynx.

I had one when I was young, but only had Hard Drivin.

What are the 9/10 good titles, and what should you look for when picking up a console?

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
https://nintendosoup.com/nintendo-now-has-4-billion-dollars-of-cash-on-hand/

Nintendo has 4 billion in just cash.

They could easily weather the Wii U because they didn't spend all those dump trucks full of cash they made on the DS, which sold over 150 million units, and the Wii, which sold over 100 million.

And of course the 3DS was trucking along while the Wii U was flailing. I think they're up to like 70 million of those fuckers and counting.

From NES to Gamecube, each home console sold worse than its predecessor. Super Nintendo did worse than NES, Nintendo 64 did worse than Super Nintendo, Gamecube did worse than Nintendo 64. But they still kept on making money. And then the Wii came along and did better than any of them.

The Wii U was essentially a stepping stone to the Switch. Obviously they wanted it to do better than it did but they probably made money on it in the long run with software.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
The Wii U gave us amiibos - that is reason enough to love the system.

Show some respect!