What's the Consoles to collect for right now? From a bang for the buck standpoint.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
What dead consoles you all feel are easy to collect for, or pick up good games for right now?

Speaking strictly from a "bang for the buck" perspective.

Right now I find PSP to have a lot of heavy hitters cheap. Lots of genre's to explore, all with good titles. Games like War of the Lions, Tactics Ogre, Valkyria Chronicles II, I.Q. Mania, Goku Makaimura Kai, Jeanne De' Arc... I could probably go on a long time naming great games that are cheap.

Also, for the most part, original Playstation is still sane, with a few notable exceptions.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Game cube, Xbox, PS2, PS3 XB360 all pretty cheap atm.

Unless you want to physically collect games the PS2 & XB/360 are also very easy to mod and run games from HDD so those would be the best bang for buck IMO.

My local retro game shop sells loads of ps2 games at £1 ea.
360 about £2 ea atm lol

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Not really looking for a console to collect for right now. I recently sold almost all my games except for like 50 of my favorites. Just been buying like 1 or 2 games at a time now, and not buying more till I beat them.

Just kinda looking for recommendations on consoles with cheap good games, and what you all are playing on them, cause I get tired of hooking up a new system everytime I beat something.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I'm collecting for retropi at the moment. The games are really really cheap...

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Not really looking for a console to collect for right now. I recently sold almost all my games except for like 50 of my favorites. Just been buying like 1 or 2 games at a time now, and not buying more till I beat them.

Just kinda looking for recommendations on consoles with cheap good games, and what you all are playing on them, cause I get tired of hooking up a new system everytime I beat something.

In that case I would get a PS2.

Has one of the best console library’s of any console IMO, backwards compatible with PS1 which again is a massive library and can be HDD mod’d cheaply.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Honestly a fully modded first gen PS3 is probably the best bang for buck there has ever been and ever will be. You have native PS1,PS2,PS3 and PSP plus pretty much every emulator under the sun. You can FTP games to and from it easily also. If you use a component or RGB cable and a CRT the PS1/2 titles actually look like they should but aren't THAT bad on an LCD anyway.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Game cube, Xbox, PS2, PS3 XB360 all pretty cheap atm.

Pretty much this, though I'd add that the GC & Xbox Classic are in for the last call before an inevitable price rise. PS2 will be cheap up to the point where a progressive enabled third party hardware will be released, which plays all the original discs enhanced for 480/720/1080p. The 360 will stay cheap for a long time, offering the best controls beyond Saturn pads, so it's a winner. The WiiU will become hot shit, since it flopped, right now would be the time to start, even a full set is possible.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Honestly a fully modded first gen PS3 is probably the best bang for buck there has ever been and ever will be. You have native PS1,PS2,PS3 and PSP plus pretty much every emulator under the sun. You can FTP games to and from it easily also. If you use a component or RGB cable and a CRT the PS1/2 titles actually look like they should but aren't THAT bad on an LCD anyway.

Trouble with the first gen PS3's is keeping the buggers running, I killed 2 of them just with general use.
Prob due to that fact they are also getting harder to get hold of, I still have my 2nd gen one though.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Trouble with the first gen PS3's is keeping the buggers running, I killed 2 of them just with general use.
Prob due to that fact they are also getting harder to get hold of, I still have my 2nd gen one though.

Probably due to lack of heavy usage my 20gb first gen is still going strong :D

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
GC/PS2/Xbox stuff is starting to rise a bit, especially on the Gamecube end. I would actually say PS3/360 are the cheapest right now as most everything is under $10.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
What's surprising about gamecube to me is how much the Mario Party games cost...they're not rare and they're not good.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
PSX games are still reasonable (especially Jap games, you can get all three Tekken games for like $10 altogether or something + shipping from Japan) even in the longboxes. may possibly be more expensive in the future so *shrugs* .

PS2 has like everything

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Vita, games are dirt cheap now and if you like JRPG/dungeon crawlers, there are a crap load of them.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Game boy advance is worth a mention, lot's of goodies on it and carts are pretty cheap for the most part.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Handhelds for sure.
GameGear prices havent moved.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
This. First-gen PS3 has a flawed blu-ray laser which dies after roughly a year of general use. If you want to actually play the games, then go with a slim PS3 and a PS2.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Probably due to lack of heavy usage my 20gb first gen is still going strong :D

I have 2 first gen ps3's and still going strong as well but I also play in moderation.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Both my first gen PS3’s got YLOD.
Had the first one professionally repaired and it lasted about 3 months before it died totally.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
PS2 and there generation are getting up there in price. PS3 and 360 are cheap and some of the best games for those consoles are dirt cheap. There's a ton of them and, thanks to HD collections on the PS4 and Xbone they are affordable.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
If you're talking about playing some older 'retro' systems (say 3rd-5th gen), I have to ask what display do you want to run these on?

If you want to play those on something like a standard definition CRT for a more authentic playing experience, please be aware a lot of the newer systems which play those older systems can commonly look like crap because those like to output everything to flickery 480i instead of native 240p. There's exceptions of course like Wii does nice 240p for a bunch of older systems, and PS2 will play PS1 games in correct 240p for example (and maybe some others I'm forgetting...but I know that OG Xbox can't do 240p only 480i, I don't believe PS3 does 240p either for PS1 games, and I know Xbox 360 doesn't for anything).

If you want to play them on a flatscreen, those newer systems (emulating the older systems) can make those games look a little better (than hooking those old consoles directly to a modern TV with a crap connection type like Composite), but they're still usually a far cry from the original system run through a proper upscaler like an OSSC or Framemeister in terms of video quality.

Anyway, back to what's affordable, I collect for these systems (usually like 20-40ish games/each – and usually only what I played or owned as a kid), and here's the average prices from my spreadsheet (shipped, in the states): NES $15, Genesis $21, SNES $30, PS1 $22, PS2 $10, original Xbox $9, Xbox 360 (which I really don't consider "old" as it's only one generation back) $9.

Last edited: