What's the Consoles to collect for right now? From a bang for the buck standpoint.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Speaking ill of the VB on a website dedicated to niche 90s gaming is just dumb.
System had some awesome and weird games for it.
I bet that the WiiU does too. Will be worth playing some years down .the road. Maybe

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I thought Wii U was great. In addition to playing all the good stuff that’s being rereleased for switch years ago, there’s still some good games that seem unlikely to get ported that are worth playing—Pikmin 3, Mario Maker, and Wonderful 101 for example. Switch has better versions of most things though.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Uh, I still have fun with the Virtual Boy.
The games are all quite good.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
PS3 is dirt cheap right now as others have said - but PSVita is definitely gonna' be one people wish they had been buying stuff for later when prices shoot up.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
PS3 is dirt cheap right now as others have said - but PSVita is definitely gonna' be one people wish they had been buying stuff for later when prices shoot up.

why are the prices going to shoot up? legit curious

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
ahhh. its a shame not many vita titles interest me. mine is basically my ps1 portable

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
why are the prices going to shoot up? legit curious

Been saying this for years. In 15 years it will be like collecting Turbografx. An obscure system, that actually has good games, that no one gave 2 fucks about.

That is the Trifecta of what makes some consoles stupid expensive to collect for. Like Neo Geo AES and TG16.

The games are too good to end up like the Jaguar, or 3DO.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I own the vita and probably could count on one hand the exclusives that I would actually play. All the other games I like are available on other consoles. Only reason I still keep one around is for psn plus free and purchased stuff. Maybe hacking it would make it more appealing.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Been saying this for years. In 15 years it will be like collecting Turbografx. An obscure system, that actually has good games, that no one gave 2 fucks about.

That is the Trifecta of what makes some consoles stupid expensive to collect for. Like Neo Geo AES and TG16.

The games are too good to end up like the Jaguar, or 3DO.
true, good points, but i also wonder if the "thing no one cared about" will still have the same effect 15 years from now as the primitive, nearly useless ones that people collect today (seemingly on the principle that they're failures on the advent of relatively early gaming era and not just because they were glossed over by folks)

I own the vita and probably could count on one hand the exclusives that I would actually play. All the other games I like are available on other consoles. Only reason I still keep one around is for psn plus free and purchased stuff. Maybe hacking it would make it more appealing.
physically, i only own FFX HD Remix which I hate. For a long time I was very open minded about some exclusives/newer games but i always ended up just playing old games and nothing else. Was seriously disgusted by the HyperDimension Neptunia (or w/e the fuck they are called) games I tried, and the popular dungeon crawlers looked like tedium to the fukkin max . but other than that I am not knowledgable on the system at all so I guess I'm wondering, still, if anything super cool has come out on it...

what are people playing on hacked Vitas that they aren't playing on hacked PSPs, by the way?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
true, good points, but i also wonder if the "thing no one cared about" will still have the same effect 15 years from now as the primitive, nearly useless ones that people collect today (seemingly on the principle that they're failures on the advent of relatively early gaming era and not just because they were glossed over by folks)

physically, i only own FFX HD Remix which I hate. For a long time I was very open minded about some exclusives/newer games but i always ended up just playing old games and nothing else. Was seriously disgusted by the HyperDimension Neptunia (or w/e the fuck they are called) games I tried, and the popular dungeon crawlers looked like tedium to the fukkin max . but other than that I am not knowledgable on the system at all so I guess I'm wondering, still, if anything super cool has come out on it...

what are people playing on hacked Vitas that they aren't playing on hacked PSPs, by the way?

I don't know. Mine isnt hacked but I keep hearing that the roms run better on it.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
meh. the only thing i would actually want to play portably that i can't are like, two or three N64 games or MAME or something

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
You just mentioned N64. I can no longer take you seriously.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I have a PSP which I hacked and a Vita which the Ms has but she literally only has it for LBP.
And to be fair even though I hacked my PSP I always find myself playing Neo Geo games on the go with it!

Pick it up and have a few rounds of KOF or something when I am on a train or whatever, But If I actually want to properly play a game (like seriously) I normally pick up my DSLite. I dunno what it is but the DS is such an amazing little hand held to play on and it has an amazing Library.
Loved playing the Pheonix wright games last time I went on a winter vacation and the weather was shit LOL

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Vita games in general are pretty lame unless you’re into body pillows and anime panties. The system had so much potential.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
You just mentioned N64. I can no longer take you seriously.
bomberman 64 is one of my favorite games of all time and not really for any explainable reason other than the amount of comfort it provides me. and the boss battles are a lot of fun. and gold cards. but i fell in love with the Bomberman universe when I was a kid mostly bc of this game and its sequel (which i have mixed feelings about as a game) .

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
While i do have a hefty set of Vita titles, there are not that many exclusives. Almost everything is a port that exists on PSN or PS4.
All of the original content was in the first few years of the system, and not all of those got physical releases.

I would sayPSP is full of original games, but i rarely play the legit copies. UMD's load ungodly slow compared to an microSD card.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

I don't think they will ever be as collectible as the 8 and 16 bit generation of games, but I think the obscurity, handful of decent games, and small size of the library will help pull in the completionist type of collectors. There are just enough solid titles to pull someone in, and have them collect solely for it.

The time period you are speaking of, is basically the golden era of gaming. If baseball cards, and comics have taught any of us anything, it's that the golden era will always remain the most collectible. Golden being the 8 and 16 bit era. Highly doubtful any games after the 16 bit era will claim the throne and be as valuable as Stadium Events, Metal Slug, Euro Kizuna, etc..

I don't care if a game has a print run of 10. They will never eclipse these titles in terms of value and demand, simply because they are not from the golden era.

But I do believe due to rarity, and a halfway decent library, Vita will be one of the more expensive consoles to collect for post 16-bit era.

The library is very Turbo-Like. Lots of bad games, but a few gems in the rough.

I don't see Vita ending up like Jaguar, or 3DO, because those libraries were complete and total shit. The Vita does have some redeeming, noteworthy, titles.

And yes, I know. Tempest 2000. I'm not getting into a Jaguar discussion.

Last edited: