SNK’s Yasuyuki Oda Asks if Fans Would Like a Metal Slug Reboot

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Got this in one of my feeds:

SNK’s Yasuyuki Oda Asks if Fans Would Like a Metal Slug Reboot With Traditional One-Hit-KO Mechanic

SNK's Game Division Deputy General Manager Yasuyuki Oda has a question for you about a hypothetical Metal Slug reboot and its mechanics.

https://www.dualshockers.com/metal-slug-reboot-snk/

Discuss.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Also I wish SNK would make 2D games again... even with higher than MVS screen resolution.. a new 2D metal slug would be killer, with hand drawn graphics.... I’m sure anything they make will be inevitably disappointing though

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Run and gun with lifebar is weird. I believe they should keep things traditional, no point in fucking with the formula too much.
But an MS reboot? Sounds dumb.
The bar in that series is set well high (at least with the first games).
Just do a sequel to Cyber Lip. Redeem that shit

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Yes, but 2D or 3D fps... Maybe Duke Nukem' style. For 2D make DLC for the mini so I can validate buying it... lol.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
What an odd question.

Edit: Did I miss something? Were they releasing Slugs that weren't 1 hit kills?

Last edited:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I think that God awful 3d metal slug on ps2 might have had a lifebar, but not even positive on that... I too find it weird that they mention the 1 hit death. I thought we always had that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
What an odd question.

Edit: Did I miss something? Were they releasing Slugs that weren't 1 hit kills?

Metal Slug Advance and the ngpc titles played around with the lives/single-hit kill rules by having a life bar, etc. It worked, although I prefer the 1-hit kills.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This is just another representation of the gaming industry (mostly) never taking a chance and creating something new. We already have 5+ Metal Slug games I think we're all fucking done on that front don't you?

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
This is just another representation of the gaming industry (mostly) never taking a chance and creating something new. We already have 5+ Metal Slug games I think we're all fucking done on that front don't you?

Same can be said with Hollywood, or wherever they're producing films nowadays. Reboot after reboot.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Metal Slug Advance and the ngpc titles played around with the lives/single-hit kill rules by having a life bar, etc. It worked, although I prefer the 1-hit kills.

Thanks. Small screen forgiveness makes sense.

Yeah, it feels like there's something lost in translation and context. If they really wanted to know, they have their own site they can ask from. But, what the fuck do we know? If you asked Castlevania fans if they wanted to trade in a barbarian for an effeminate vampire with gameplay like Metroid, they'd say fuck off. Just make good shit.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Just no the original metal slug is fine as is i don't see the point in a reboot.

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
I'm kinda with Lachlan on this. I would like to see a new run'n'gun, but make something new. Maybe throw in some call backs and easter eggs for slug fans, but something new. And yes, one hit deaths please

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The short answer is no, but to be more descriptive if SNK wanted to make another high def 2d or 2.5d that looks 2d that knocks our socks off then by all means, but seeing Samurai Shodown is the same sthick as KOF XIV just done way better then no.

In all honesty I expect/demand the next game that will look or be 2d is Garou 2.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Would I like a old school slug with updated gfx etc in 2D?
Hell yes.

Do I think they will feck it up?
Defo.

Very few rebooted classics live up to their heritage. Mostly because they try to modernise the mechanics etc.

Just give the old game a facelift and some better sound and leave it at that.

Marek

Banned

they COULD kill it with a new hyper shock slug with cool sprites and sick mechanics, but they won't. so they shouldn't even try

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Anything other than 1-hit kills would mean a departure from the arcade roots. But let's take Oda's request serious for a moment, which means looking back at the evolution of Contra. Hard Cops on the japanese Mega Drive was bold enough to implement energy points and... a story.

Granted, it was as basic as it gets, but I remember how cool it was to hear the last words of the robby on the highway, laughing at my character for falling for his diversion. These lines were the perfect excuse for branching paths. In the new MS they could even lead to some Wonder Boy aspects, like offered in Blood Gear.

Blood Slug could come across with a story line, multiple endings, slugs that could be upgraded and uncompromising arcade action in-between. Maybe, like Poppy said, there would be only one hyper shock slug, wich would morph through updates, aka sick mechanics you'd get on your way, into other vehicles. Oh yeah, and plz: bring the subversive Cyber-Lip tone back, along with an appropriate ending.

Fett

Camel Slug
All the arcade classics are designed to eat quarters. Let's be honest, no one plays them with that mentality any more, and constantly having to continue when the game is set to free play breaks the game's mechanics. If they just make yet another Slug with the same mechanics they'd be releasing a broken game, again.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'm siding with no, I think the series peaked at 3 (though X is my favorite).

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I’d say yes; in the end, we have nothing to loose: if it’s good, fine, if it’s bad, nobody forces us to buy it. I’d like it in modern high res 2D, no 16bitish pixel art, with classic gameplay; I mean, somehow, something similar to CupHead (I don’t mean old cartoon style, but high res 2D). 2.5D could be an option, but I’d prefer real modern 2D.

Last edited:

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Pretty sure it will be released before kraut buster.