Any runners out there?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
My friend is an avid runner, and he's organizing a 50k in Bend, Oregon next month. I'm going to volunteer at aid stations for the runners - looks like beautiful country.

I gave long distance a go, but it wasn't my forte. I enjoyed listening to books during the runs. . . but, I'm pretty good at doing that while standing still, too.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I’ve got a half marathon coming up on the 14th october which Im training for currently. Ive always managed 10K’s in under an hour so time for a challenge!

50K though thats next level man!

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I've never gotten a "runner's high." Plus I have completely flat feet. So I just do the elliptical machine rather than run.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I've never gotten a "runner's high." Plus I have completely flat feet. So I just do the elliptical machine rather than run.

I have flat feet too, shit sucks. I only found that out when I was 16 and trying out for the lacrosse team and one of the dads noticed I ran weird.

I get runner's highs pretty easily though. It really lifts my mood up but at the same time gets me really excited? Weird but I like it.

Anyway, I enjoy running, but I'm not good at it. I only run 5 or 6k about three or four times a week. jesus lach is a beast tho, half marathon? dude probably fucks like a champ.

edit good lord Look at ggalegos here, insanity. i could never Do that

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I've got 5 marathons under my belt and might do one more to round it out before calling it quits. Doing that and the army kills my knees. I thought of doing a 60K once but the events aren't bad, it's the time dedicated to training that I just don't have anymore.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
We had a runner's thread around here years ago.

When I was very sad and very lonely living in Japan, I began running as a way to show the world how sad and lonely I was. Eventually, I began to like it and started doing marathons. Did 4 while I lived there. Ran at least one half marathon a week back then.

I moved back to the US and have gained like 50 lbs, so running has taken quite a hit. Still run 6k or so a few times a week. A lot harder with actual obligations, I've found. I am planning on getting back in marathon shape though.

50k in Bend sounds awesome!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
We had a runner's thread around here years ago.

When I was very sad and very lonely living in Japan, I began running as a way to show the world how sad and lonely I was. Eventually, I began to like it and started doing marathons. Did 4 while I lived there. Ran at least one half marathon a week back then.

I moved back to the US and have gained like 50 lbs, so running has taken quite a hit. Still run 6k or so a few times a week. A lot harder with actual obligations, I've found. I am planning on getting back in marathon shape though.

50k in Bend sounds awesome!

Yes, the thread is here

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?237268-N-G-com-Runners&highlight=Running

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I have flat feet too, shit sucks. I only found that out when I was 16 and trying out for the lacrosse team and one of the dads noticed I ran weird.

I get runner's highs pretty easily though. It really lifts my mood up but at the same time gets me really excited? Weird but I like it.

Anyway, I enjoy running, but I'm not good at it. I only run 5 or 6k about three or four times a week. jesus lach is a beast tho, half marathon? dude probably fucks like a champ.

edit good lord Look at ggalegos here, insanity. i could never Do that

:lolz:

I also have flat feet... get some shoes that don't have a ton of arch support as silly as it sounds.

That runners high is a pretty fleeting thing though it only comes when you actually push yourself usually. Somewhere around the point where your body moves but your mind stays still. Afterwards though I always feel fucking great and get the best sleep too.

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I was a great runner as a kid. If not for other sports that I liked more, I probably could have run cross country at a pretty high level. I still run roughly 3miles/5k a day, and 4 or 5 miles once or twice a week, but longer distances are harder and harder for me as I get older. I weigh 20lbs more than I did in college, have lower back and knee issues from hockey, ankle issues from soccer. I also have a hard time finding running shoes that fit my weird feet, and provide decent stability. Nonetheless, I really enjoy running and it definitely helps my overall energy level. I don't think I've ever gotten a high from running, but there is something to be said for the "zone" that you get into when you've separated the immediacy of fatigue and coordination from what's in your mind on a good run.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I run, my wife runs more.

I'll skip the theatrics but long story short, it turns out a have a minor heart condition. Found this out when I was endurance cycling (50-100 miles, 4+ hrs)...even down to 6' tall and 165 lbs, my HR would never settle down. Running is even worse, constantly pegging at 180+ BPM, even at a 10 min/mile pace.

I've been running since 2014, I can do 5K's but depending on the temp/etc, I have to run walk if the HR gets too high.

My wife is FAR better than I am, she's up to 1/2 marathon running, routinely run's 10K's weekly.

She loves it, it's calming to her, something for her to escape into. Me? I feel that way about cycling, not running. I've never got a "runner's high", I have never enjoyed it like I do long distance cycling.

Either way, I run...not well, but I do, my wife runs more.

Lastly...I have very flat feet as well, used to have large pronation issues as a kid. Years of corrective shoes straightened me out. I invested in some good shoes and have not had feet issues since, save some raw toe tips in the spring.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I’ve got a half marathon coming up on the 14th october which Im training for currently. Ive always managed 10K’s in under an hour so time for a challenge!

50K though thats next level man!
The human body isn't really designed to run 42km marathons. I could probably do 42km if I had the training and conditioning, but I don't know if I'd want to do runs that long.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The human body isn't really designed to run 42km marathons.

Did you eat paint chips as a kid or something? The human body is especially good at going for long distances. It's how our ancestors were able to hunt faster animals. Just because your fat ass would keel over doesn't mean the human body isn't designed for it.

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
The human body is especially good at going for long distances. It's how our ancestors were able to hunt faster animals. Just because your fat ass would keel over doesn't mean the human body isn't designed for it.

Don't get him started on "Abbo life".

Ajax

15 Year Member
The human body isn't really designed to run 42km marathons. I could probably do 42km if I had the training and conditioning, but I don't know if I'd want to do runs that long.

What do you suppose the human body designed to do then, I wonder? ;) I can tell you that there were several years of my life when I felt more comfortable running long ass distances than I did short ones. Just my experience though.

Also, why the hell do you only have 2 feedback on here? I clearly remember a time when every MVS prospect I attempted was scooped by you. I'm not bitter about it anymore though... :envy:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
but I don't know if I'd want to do runs that long.

This very statement shows how little running you actually do. I'm not at a marathon level at all and this upcoming half marathon will take everything I have to make it but that's just it, it's not a case of want but can I without injury? I'd love to run a full marathon but I'd need to drop 10-15kg to do it.

This calls in to question the types of fitness that you can attain. I run 8-10km twice a week and cycle 20-50km twice a week also, that's fuck all honestly and hardly can be considered training for a marathon but a 21km half? I think I'm eligible with great effort and a day off work afterwards ;)

Fit enough but I ain't a fucking athlete, I drink too much for that shit.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Fit enough but I ain't a fucking athlete, I drink too much for that shit.

mate you're fit, you're drunk but you're fit, cheers to you from 8:30PM here on a Saturday night and I'm 8 beers in, kill me lachlan, also run for me lachlan, don't let me down

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
mate you're fit, you're drunk but you're fit, cheers to you from 8:30PM here on a Saturday night and I'm 8 beers in, kill me lachlan, also run for me lachlan, don't let me down

At the finish line I'll make sure to down a can of VB just for you, for you all.

I'm about 4 pints in at the moment also...

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
What do you suppose the human body designed to do then, I wonder? ;) I can tell you that there were several years of my life when I felt more comfortable running long ass distances than I did short ones. Just my experience though.

Also, why the hell do you only have 2 feedback on here? I clearly remember a time when every MVS prospect I attempted was scooped by you. I'm not bitter about it anymore though... :envy:

Do you mean you were comfortable with really long distances, like 42km? Or shorter distances, more likely?
I don't know what u mean, I've only ever bought a couple of items on the marketplace.
Did you eat paint chips as a kid or something? The human body is especially good at going for long distances. It's how our ancestors were able to hunt faster animals. Just because your fat ass would keel over doesn't mean the human body isn't designed for it.
Humans can run 42km (if they're fit), if they have to, to get away from a tiger or some kind of threat like that. But it's only supposed to be an occasional thing. If you run a marathon every week, you will probably have health problems, as there is not enough recovery. There have been cases where people have died after running two marathons in two consecutive days. So, if it were a natural thing for a human, you'd be able to run 42km every day. But it's up to an individual, what they think is a safe way of doing it, without overdoing it. In principle, I think it's good for people to do things that keep them fit.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Half marathon was today, furthest distance I've ever run and came in at 2hrs 12mins 28secs

I have no fuckin idea how you do a full marathon though.... fuckin hell my knees!

Jumpingmanjim

Cheng's Errand Boy
I run 30 minutes a couple of times a week, can't imagine myself running for any longer than 30 minutes. The dog could go all day though.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Half marathon was today, furthest distance I've ever run and came in at 2hrs 12mins 28secs

I have no fuckin idea how you do a full marathon though.... fuckin hell my knees!

Nice one man!

As for the pain, is it possible that your shoes are off in some way?

Jumpingmanjim

Cheng's Errand Boy
Yeah getting good shoes is so important. I spent quite a bit on mine but now my ankles aren't rolling in anymore.