New AES cart reprints announced!!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
SNK CORPORATION (Corporate HQ: Suita-city, Osaka, Japan, Company President:Koichi Toyama) is proud to announce the upcoming re-release of a limited selection of SNK NEOGEO Advanced Entertainment System (AES) game cartridges starting in early 2019.

We have partnered with Retro-Bit, an industry leader in game cartridge re-releases and console accessories, to help us with manufacturing and distribution. We expect to release 6 different games by mid summer 2019 starting with the first release of 'Garou: Mark of the Wolves' on January 15th. More will be announced at a later date.

Pre-orders will begin starting October 1st via the Retro-Bit website http://retro-bit.com

All six games will be priced at US $199.

Garou.jpg

https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/press/2018/091902

Holy shit!! Anyone else hyped about this? I wonder if a Metal Slug re-release will be one of the 6 carts?

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
What? o_O

I did hit the SNK link and it's a "not found"... also no mention at the Retrobit site....

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I saw this on Twitter earlier today. Weird that the press release link isn't working. Maybe it was posted prematurely?

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Ummm what? Did SNK just randomly pull their head out of their ass?

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
This might be an unpopular opinion & I’m usually not into these reissues but I’m on board with this. These games are so expensive now that this makes sense. Now people can have an actual cart (if they prefer that to a Neo SD) and don’t have to pay through the nose or worry about buying a fake marked as real. Good on SNK for making this happen.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
This might be an unpopular opinion & I’m usually not into these reissues but I’m on board with this. These games are so expensive now that this makes sense. Now people can have an actual cart (if they prefer that to a Neo SD) and don’t have to pay through the nose or worry about buying a fake marked as real. Good on SNK for making this happen.

Im willing to bet these will go up in price pretty quickly. Not anywhere near the original games but i could see 2 - 3 x the price within a year. Still good on SNK for listening to their fans.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I think my 6 dream cart re-releases would be:

Garou
KoF98
Pulstar
Metal Slug
Shock Troopers 2 (though I prefer the first game)
Blazing Star

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you've ever used a Retrobit product then no way in hell would you ever give them $200.

Gentlegamer

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
10 Year Member
If you've ever used a Retrobit product then no way in hell would you ever give them $200.

I think I have a controller that is ok but I was wondering about this.

Will these be actual ROM carts or a flash frankenstein?

Last edited:

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
Imo KoF 98 does not really need any reprint , it is already super-common and can be bought for 200 bucks in Japan. Also if SNK were able to release Ironclad for the Wii VC with the cart roms I'm pretty sure they have other unreleased roms, so they should better release them. Or maybe somebody will hire a computer hacker to get them directly from NeoGeoFreak or xaCrow before they even have the time to make their Garous.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
They should do the crazy priced games that are also good gameplay wise:

Garou
Metal Slug and/or X
SSVS
Last Blade 2
Blazing Star
Neo Turf Master

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Looks like i’ll be skipping work on October 1st

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Oh I'm in there. Official Garou for 200? Fuck yes.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
$199 is dirt cheap when compared to the current value of the originals. Pulstar, blazing Star, metal slug 1 & 2 too please.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
I'm not surprised by this. It was just a matter of time. Well played SNK.
However, I don't believe this will have an impact on the prices for original AES carts.

Let's hope they won't be lazy and actually bring us some of the unreleased ROMs.
Hell even some some sort of compilation cart would be fine with me. Finally being able to play Last Odyssey would be dope.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm not surprised by this. It was just a matter of time. Well played SNK.
However, I don't believe this will have an impact on the prices for original AES carts.

Maybe not the original carts, but all the conversions, bootlegs and questionable origin stuff is definitely gonna get wrecked.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Oh I'm in there. Official Garou for 200? Fuck yes.

Official is a relative term in cases such as these. Technically it is official but how authentically official is it?

There's something redundant about this.
It's a fun move, probably SNK needing to build clout even more, next step after the ng mini.
But... I don't know.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
All the conversions, bootlegs and questionable origin stuff is definitely gonna get wrecked.

Aye aye, this is the best thing about this release.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Will these be actual ROM carts or a flash frankenstein?
I'd be extremely surprised if it makes sense financially to use mask ROMs vs flash these days, that's assuming any factory is even still making DIP mask ROMs.