Rondo of Blood & Symphony of the Night collection incoming

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Welp. I'm fucking out.

What made you think they weren't going to take an easy way out? This is fucking Konami - you're lucky they even remembered that made castlevania in the first place.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
What made you think they weren't going to take an easy way out? This is fucking Konami - you're lucky they even remembered that made castlevania in the first place.
Seriously. I don't have any interest in third party PlayStation exclusives anymore, and I already own the games digitally on Wii (Rondo), 360 (SotN), and PSP (Chronicles). If they want more money from me, put it on Steam or GOG or maybe Switch.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

The fact Nintendo used those same lines on the Simon reveal in Smash maybe, just maybe had me hoping they wouldn't have fucked this up. It doesn't matter now since I still own both games already anyways.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
They were showing some display options and all the screenshots had the black border all around (including top and bottom) with no mention of removing it. This has me worried.

The top / bottom borders can be removed for a full screen 4:3 display (no stretching). That was my main concern. There seemed to be some sort of filtering used for the graphics, but not 100% sure, and I stopped noticing it quickly. It looks much better than the XB360 version. A few of minor issues I noticed so far:

- some audio effects don't sound right
- Brief lag / freeze whenever you save
- And of course, no OG voice over option

I'm guessing these carried over from the PSP version?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member

Not sure how it compares to the original, but there seems to be a small audio lag too.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
K is right. I was messing around with Rondo Yesterday and I noticed Audio Lag when you are about to fight a boss. Usually when playing Rondo on the PCE the music fades out and only starts when the Boss engages. In the Ps4 Version the stage music doesn't fade out. It just switches up real quick when the Boss Engages. Not a big deal but yes the Audio isn't 100% accurate.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
It is just straight up the PSP version.

1) They did change some sound effects like the level up sound. Kinda weird, don't really get it. But ok.
2) I can live with the redoing the voices. It's a bummer but it's not a dealbreaker quite yet.
3) They got rid of the Sword Brothers glitch which is a fun part of the original game. Kinda annoying.
4) This is where I get mad. If you go into button settings, your different forms can be set as L, R, or L+R. There isn't even the *option* of L2, R2, because it is that much of a rip of the PSP version. They weren't even trying.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
playable SOTN Maria on PS4 version already makes it the definitive version, though the Saturn version is tied with it if people dont mind its rough technicalities.

the voiceovers dont matter, even the PS1 version has cheesy voices and credits song that is out of place. so the PSP voices are fine, the sound is fine too.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
How’s it going, Bottom?

Because GohanX was talking shit about collecting physical media, which indicates he’s fine renting software instead.

He's not talking shit about physical media. He's saying that he will buy it regardless if it's physical or not.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I enjoy playing videogames, not putting useless plastic shit on my shelf that goes untouched. I didn't get this collection though since it was a piss poor effort.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
The games play pretty well and you can take up the whole screen from top to bottom and change the borders to black. It looks good doing it too. I turned on the scanlines and that's it. I've played a couple hours of Rondo and I don't see anything wrong with it. Best version I've played apart from the original. Yes, there aren't any bells or whistles outside of the game, but the games themselves are still great. I'm a huge Castlevania fan though so I don't need much of an excuse to go through them again. Sprinkle on some trophy whoring and I'm all set. $15.99 with PS plus to boot.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Man I hate how these lazy fucks use emulation as a crutch. If this was the past before the wild spread adoption of emulation these games would have been ported. I just hate seeing these old games not supporting 16:9 and no extras.

For all its flaws I love how saturn sotn at least has plenty of differences that make it unique and worth playing.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
Man I hate how these lazy fucks use emulation as a crutch. If this was the past before the wild spread adoption of emulation these games would have been ported. I just hate seeing these old games not supporting 16:9 and no extras.

For all its flaws I love how saturn sotn at least has plenty of differences that make it unique and worth playing.

16 x 9? So put something there that doesn’t exist? You can stretch it w your TV and enjoy that ugly garbage. I for one don’t want extras that didn’t exist in the originals...just a faithful representation of the original game.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
16 x 9? So put something there that doesn’t exist? You can stretch it w your TV and enjoy that ugly garbage. I for one don’t want extras that didn’t exist in the originals...just a faithful representation of the original game.

I want both honestly. Keeping the core gameplay intact while improving issues with original releases is ideal, and they could have added a jukebox, museum, a menu system that doesn't look like hot ass, developer interviews, commercials, etc. Those are the extras I want, not just two PSP roms.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I want both honestly. Keeping the core gameplay intact while improving issues with original releases is ideal, and they could have added a jukebox, museum, a menu system that doesn't look like hot ass, developer interviews, commercials, etc. Those are the extras I want, not just two PSP roms.

LOL @ you expecting Konami to do anything but the bare-minimum.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug

It’s true, the lack of features are weak and hot ass is definitely generous for the menus/title. The gameplay seems to be there. I guess a game built in the 4:3 days can’t really be adjusted well. I’ve yet to see a 16:9 presentation of a game that didn’t look ‘off’. But the option for it to be there would be nice for those that have a preference I suppose. Overall though, I’m not mad to have both the games for $16. It’s an improvement over playing the psp version on PSTV or on an emulator at least.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
LOL @ you expecting Konami to do anything but the bare-minimum.

I would have thought the same for Capcom, but their mega Man collections have a ton of extras. Hence the main reason I haven't picked these up, I have them on emulator and physical media, no need to do so with the effort that was put here.