Any of you ever strain your stomach muscles?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I went to the ER on August 29th for abdominal and lower back pain (I didn't consider it an emergency, but the nurse I spoke to on the phone thought I might have a kidney stone and recommended I go, so, I did). My blood and piss tests came back okay, so, the two doctors that looked at me both felt that I had probably irritated my abdominal muscle wall with my MS medication injections. They just told me to take some over-the-counter painkillers and put hot/cold packs on it (I did neither).

Then, this morning, I went to my PCP for the follow-up appointment and he had a different diagnosis: that I had strained my stomach muscles. He recommended physical therapy, as stomach muscles can take a long time to heal, due to how they're constantly used throughout the day, but, as the pain has gotten better over the last few weeks, I didn't think that'd be necessary, so, I declined.

So, if any of you ever strained your stomach muscles, what'd you do? It mostly just hurts now, and not all that badly, when I bend over to do something like tie my shoes, or put pressure on it, like from fastening a seat belt, otherwise, I'm doing okay (I hiked about 4.5 miles this morning with no problems). Should I have done the physical therapy?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Our body usually heals it on our own. Physical therapy usually teaches you what not to do aggravate it again and some exercise to strengthen your core...Best to just take it easy and not do things but if you're able to move around like you say you're doing, i think its healing nicely.

Sorry to hear about your MS.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
well first. stop calling them stomach muscles. Yur gonna confuse the internet. Abdominal workout.
Lookup any Ab workout if you think you want to work that area.

It would be really difficult to say what PT you really need. One doc says its muscles, the other seems to suggest connective tissue. You wouldn't want to heavy Ab workouts with compromised connective tissue . That is how you get hernia's. Your body needs to heal naturally if it's connective tissue.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Yes, overextended using an ab roller. Just take it easy and it will go away.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Doing sit ups I felt a sudden pain in my lower abdominal area which ended up being a hernia and it fucking hurt.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i haven't been able to do ab workout in ages. every time i give it a go, i just end up with an aching back rather than aching abs. was told i need to strengthen my core.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
i haven't been able to do ab workout in ages. every time i give it a go, i just end up with an aching back rather than aching abs. was told i need to strengthen my core.

you need to strengthen your core

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

Work on your core strength.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
working on it. i actually prefer core training which also works your lower abs to sit ups.

Have you tried training core? it's a core training program which strengthens your core.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I don't joke about people's family members, otherwise I would say I strained them on your mama. But in all honesty, I do not know your mother.

@M

20 Year Member
tell me more about this core.

Some people say it's at the center of the Earth and populated with mole people, others say it's the yucky, seed-filled middle of an apple, me, I know it's what DQ8 Yangus always says before "Blimey" when shit gets serious.

@M

20 Year Member
Doing sit ups I felt a sudden pain in my lower abdominal area which ended up being a hernia and it fucking hurt.

A hernia was one of the things I was worried it might be too, but nothing feels like it's bulging out to me (and none of the 3 doctors that felt me up found anything worrisome either). In the literature for the injections I do, one of the listed possible side effects is hernia, and, reading that, I'm like "How in the fuck do you get a hernia from a needle?" Wouldn't you have to intentionally jam the syringe into your muscle and then pull/rip it across to make a hole big enough for your organs to push through?