I don't like people who don't like Ikaruga

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I don't play for score, I play to win

One doesn't exclude the other, but how would one know, if someone else doesn't like a game in order to dislike him? What if you unknowingly like him already? Asking for a friend, who lives in China...

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Ikaruga is fun but I'm no good at it.

Same. And I like radiant silvergun better. Does that mean lonesage won’t like me?

But yeah, whenever ikaruga comes out for a new platform I just give treasure my money with no questions asked. I wish more of their games got the same treatment.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Not a fan of Ikaruga, the scoring mechanics around the colour switching almost drove me crazy when I played it back then.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Ikaruga is my favorite SHMUP. It's a good balance between bullet hell, and an actual chance to win because of cool mechanics. I don't play for score either, because I suck at bullet hell style games. I just try and win on 4 quarters.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Lonesage and Greedo are best friends

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Ikaruga is a decent game but the graphics are rather dull in terms of color

At least radiant silvergun had more than shades of black, white, blue and red

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
plays very different than most shooters but i love it.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Lonesage and Greedo are best friends

Nah, Sage hates me. He thinks I'm a weirdo mental case.

We do seems to have a lot in common game taste wise.

I guess we did break bread once though. Maybe life is turning over a new leaf.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
You guys should throw rocks at ghosts together - I imagine that is a powerful bonding experience.

games_sk

Mr. Big's Thug
But yeah, whenever ikaruga comes out for a new platform I just give treasure my money with no questions asked. I wish more of their games got the same treatment.

Same here. Dreamcast, Gamecube, Steam...

It's one of my favourite games period. The soundtrack is epic...

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I loved it back when it came out - but it doesn't hold up for me. It's gotten to where I am just sick of seeing it come up on another platform.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
The switching between black and white all the time has worn out it's welcome. Cool game though.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Did the game peak too soon? Was there not enough to drain out of different play styles? Genuine question, as I never got as familiar with it as I with Radiant - and that's one thing you could give Radiant, is that over time your play style changed as you figured out new chains. Perhaps not any more. Perhaps video kills some of that off - I don't think it was long after Ikaruga came out there was a 1p twin-stick video - and when a game is "solved", it takes some of the magic away from the experience and at that point it feels like you're drawing over a photograph.

Beautiful, beautiful game.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Did the game peak too soon? Was there not enough to drain out of different play styles? Genuine question, as I never got as familiar with it as I with Radiant - and that's one thing you could give Radiant, is that over time your play style changed as you figured out new chains. Perhaps not any more. Perhaps video kills some of that off - I don't think it was long after Ikaruga came out there was a 1p twin-stick video - and when a game is "solved", it takes some of the magic away from the experience and at that point it feels like you're drawing over a photograph.

Beautiful, beautiful game.

You could say something similar about DOJ, though. There's only one path if you want to chain an entire stage, right? So in that sense, DOJ can also be solved. I think that with either of those games, even if you do solve them, there is enough difficulty in terms of stamina and reflexes that it is a very difficult game.

Personally, I love Ikaruga, and I remember back in the day people here would rip on it, saying it wasn't a "real" shooter. Sure, it's not a bullet hell shmup, but I don't think it ever claimed to be that. It's a huge challenge, and I don't mean "It's difficult", I mean that Treasure were basically challenging gamers "I bet you can't beat this."

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Ikaruga is cool but it really needed a PS2 port instead of the GC... what an odd choice considering other Naomi shooters went to PS2 like Trizeal and Chaos Field.

I think I'd rather play Battle Garegga or Strikers...