Putting a cartridge slot in a Neo CD

neoslacker

n00b
Just out of pure interest....

Is this possible (I know there are a ton of buffers and the motherboard is completely different)?

Has anyone ever tried it (even just for a laugh)?

NH

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Pretty far fetched. How about a memory card?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
It's probably more feasible to figure something SD related like the PSIO or Rhea instead of an entire cart slot.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
It wouldn't work. While the underlying sprite and audio hardware is functionally the same, the way the data is fed into them is different. On the neo cd, the game code tells the cd to feed data into dram for a particular subsystem (i.e. sprite data) while on a cart system, the roms are directly connected to the sub-processor of interest (minus the multiplexors and serializers). Once the data is in dram, the sub-processor treats it as if it were "local" rom.

neoslacker

n00b
Nevermind, someone already did it. This is basically what I was saying, but its uses a PC data transfer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGDaug4JSIk

It wouldn't work. While the underlying sprite and audio hardware is functionally the same, the way the data is fed into them is different. On the neo cd, the game code tells the cd to feed data into dram for a particular subsystem (i.e. sprite data) while on a cart system, the roms are directly connected to the sub-processor of interest (minus the multiplexors and serializers). Once the data is in dram, the sub-processor treats it as if it were "local" rom.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I realize this is only for homebrew and only supports certain games, but still, amazing work that they did here.

It’s for NeoCD games, not MVS games unless they are small enough.

incrediblehark

New Challenger
Some type of ODE solution would be one of the best things to happen to the neocd, especially if it speeds up load times. Could maybe even make The Last Blade playable on the system.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Some type of ODE solution would be one of the best things to happen to the neocd, especially if it speeds up load times. Could maybe even make The Last Blade playable on the system.

Yeah a ODE for NGCD would be amazing.
I would love to see one for the Sega CD to.