Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Cassette: Ice Cube - Amerikkka's Most Wanted
CD: Enigma - MCMXC a.d.

Least that is what I remember

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I was 5 or 6 so some Halloween hits that had Monster Mash on it.

WOW!

I actually own that. My parents bought it for me when I was about the same age. Use to spin that album like crazy. Use to do the maze on the back, and turn the album upside down, cause that peter pan guy looked evil when flipped upside-down.

I fired it up last year for Halloween, and it actually holds up pretty well around Halloween. This reminds me I need to play it in a few weeks.

My first purchased album was Nirvana Unplugged in New York. My parents got me a really nice home stereo one year for Christmas, and that was the first CD I purchased. Still have the lyrics to every song memorized. Probably listened to that album thousands of times, and then some.

monster.jpg

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I don't remember exactly, but it was either Grave Dancers Union by Soul Asylum or Losing my Religion by R.E.M. on cassette.

My first CD was Green Day's Dookie.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Have you ever really loved someone? It's the best.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I also had that Monster Mash album my mom bought it for me and played the shit out of it lol

First CD was Cypress Hill Black Sunday

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The Final Countdown by Europe. Funnily enough I disliked the song by the same name, album had(\has) much better songs.
I recently found the tape I bought all those years back. That was my first baby steps into rock

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The first album I bought was Jimi Hendrix Axis.

Which is part of the reason I really didn’t like the site member Jimi Hendrix, who stood for everything Jimi was not.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
AC/DC - Flick Of The Switch LP

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
For me it was Beastie Boys Licensed To Ill on cassette at Camelot. It came in one of those big plastic anti theft cases with the weird handle thing on it.

I remember I had just gotten one of those yellow Sanyo knock off boom boxes that looked like the Sony Sports model. Until then I was just recording shit off the radio.
Probably Michael Jackson- Dangerous (on cassette). Too expensive to get it on CD in the early 90's. But these days I prefer the Quincy Jones MJ albums- not as heavily produced as Dangerous.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Can't say for certain, but I think it was the Top Gun soundtrack.

:buttrock:

growing up we never bought albums. we got friends to record songs we liked on tape. but the first official album i bought was californication by the red hot chilli peppers on cd because no one seemed to be able to find the songs to record on tape.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Michael Jackson's Thriller

Thanks for making me feel old

fuck you

Backstory: Michael Jackson's popularity was blowing up, we wore parachute pants and sat at the TV watching his videos on MTV, completely entranced by his music videos. Begged my dad to buy it for us. It might have been the first cassette purchase for my family, but my dad came back from work one day with the tape and we played the fuck out of it.

Now I need to locate a cassette for nostalgic reasons.

Edit 2: Not sure if they count, but my cousins in Detroit used to dub us tapes all the time, that's how I got introduced to the world of Rap. But I'm thinking this was after Thriller. I remember loving Run DMC and Beastie Boys at a time when we lived in a shit small town and no one listened to that "ghetto" music.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Michael Jackson's Thriller

Thanks for making me feel old

fuck you

Backstory: Michael Jackson's popularity was blowing, we wore parachute pants and sat at the TV watching his videos on MTV, entranced by his music videos. Begged my dad to buy it for us. It might have been the first cassette purchase for my family, but my dad came back from work one day with the tape and we played the fuck out of it.

Now I need to locate a cassette for nostalgic reasons.

Edit 2: Not sure if they count, but my cousins in Detroit used to dub us tapes all the time, that's how I got introduced to the world of Rap. But I'm thinking this was after Thriller. I remember loving Run DMC and Beastie Boys at a time when we lived in a shit small town and no one listened to that "ghetto" music.

i still clearly remember the family sitting around the TV for MJ's videos for Dangerous even though I must have been like 4

how times have changed roker

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
i still clearly remember the family sitting around the TV for MJ's videos for Dangerous even though I must have been like 4

how times have changed roker
Families don't sit together listening to an album any more, they watch a DVD instead. The VCR changed that.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I don't remember my first tape. I can't tell the difference in my memory between dubbed and retail tapes. I know the first CD I bought was a parody compilation from a local radio station.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Can't recall for sure, but I think the first cassette I ever bought was probably something from Weird Al Yankovic ("Dare to Be Stupid" maybe?) They're not music, but I used to have several of those storybook-cassette combos when I was a kid too, mostly Transformers ones.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Face the Nation by Kid n Play was the first CD I ever bought. Not sure what the first cassette was.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
:D
pink floyd THE WALL.
was one eyeopener, followed by the rest of their arts, such as division bell for one example....
next was CRASS, penis envy, couldn't say it better. :glee:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Ice-T Original Gangster lol.

Last edited: