most recent Samurai Spirits came out in 2019 already.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
From the trailer, I'm not impressed at all by the backrounds which in former SS games where amazing.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
From the trailer, I'm not impressed at all by the backrounds which in former SS games where amazing.

This is probably the only thing that stuck out to me too. Some of the backgrounds look OK while others stand out as mediocre.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
While I dont think the game looks bad, I do think SNK is missing the mark. If ArcSys can still make successful, beautiful 2D fighting games, than so could SNK.

I cant look past their new Chinese ownership, and not see everything as just a cash grab. I know it's a business, but everything from SNK now just screams minimal effort, minimal investment.

I dunno. I think current SNK is capable of making a good game but their artists aren't nearly as talented as ASW. They probably don't even have any 2d artists.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I'm not saying the game is bad. But I dont feel like they're even trying to appeal to fans outside of the names.

A perfect example is the neo geo mini, when asked why they didnt use micro switches for the joystick their response was "using microswitches is too hard". Meanwhile Ben Heck does it with ease.

It's just lazy, I agree their artist might not be as talented. But it's not like their is a shortage of talent out there. They could get the talent if they wanted.

We are talking about a company that once lead the home console market when it came to graphics and raw system power. Their games where innovative, and really delivered.

It just doesn't feel the same. I dont see any of the love and dedication being poured into these titles.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Well it's not really the same company, it's just some Chinese assholes who bought the rights to milk the properties. SNK has been dead since sometime around 2001 or so.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Well it's not really the same company, it's just some Chinese assholes who bought the rights to milk the properties. SNK has been dead since sometime around 2001 or so.

Plus let's be honest, they where at the helm of the home console market power-wise but only as a consequence of a larger strategy which centered itself around the arcade market.

Those where the days of 2d. What companies from back then that where relevant, still are? Nintendo, Capcom... that's about it.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
Old snk is dead and under the ocean floor. They had great design and flair to their games. New snk has access to better tech, but their design and presentation suck horribly.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
It is so fucking weird that some dude who had a terrible, terrible feature in a gaming magazine got called out on it years ago and yet still posts here. I would never imagine someone like Dan Hsu or Ed Semrad, or a number of other gaming mag people, doing the same thing. It's just pathetic.

it's not the same guy.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
They will hold a panel at PAX East, and the original SS producer will attend the panel, along with Oda and Nobuyuki Kuroki. It's not clear if the SS1 producer is part of the game's development or if he's attending as a guest.

They are rumored to announce the new AI tech for online play as well.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
oh come on its looking great. different, of course, its a new generation, new team.
people bash how Mortal Kombat 11 looks artistically, but millions are gonna play it anyways.
this new Samurai Shodown in some ways looks better than Sen. the HUD looks gorgeous too. the visuals will look better than videos and screens display, like any game.
and its clearly a stepup from KOFXIV's character graphics. plus the backgrounds look interesting (while KOFXIV has a few dull stages like the aquarium, but hey KOF99 had a boring aquariumish stage too).

people have yet to see the full spectrum of SS 2019's style. it could overall be more impressive than first impressions.

previous Samurai Shodowns dont look as detailed

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
They will hold a panel at PAX East, and the original SS producer will attend the panel, along with Oda and Nobuyuki Kuroki. It's not clear if the SS1 producer is part of the game's development or if he's attending as a guest.

They are rumored to announce the new AI tech for online play as well.

I might try to make this panel although it probably means waiting in line for hours. Neural network AI for a fighting games sounds like a crazy gamble. It makes it sound like it will work too well and everyone will get shut down once it learns patterns or it will copy the scrubs and do wake up uppercuts for days.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
previous Samurai Shodowns dont look as detailed

Saying that a new 3D fighting game coming out in 2019 looks more detailed than a 3D fighting game that came out in 1997 is...truly something. I mean, duh dude.

It looks better than Sen across the board. That game was a drab, ugly mess with no personality.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Hahaha, Love the posts with Saner trying to excuse his fucking stretched images. The games were made for 4:3, mongo. How the fuck can people be so dense?

On topic, the trailer did not even give me a chub.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Only concern would be Athlon's clear preference for free-to-play games. RNG loot box sluttiness and all that.

Considering what this title is, who made it, and the platforms it's for, I'm not too worried.

Leback

Stakes Winner
Is says in the article that the publisher promised that it would not be free-to-play.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Is says in the article that the publisher promised that it would not be free-to-play.

Admittedly, the most recent console I own was released 12+ years ago...

...but even I know, in 2019, microtransactions and buying stuff to supplement the main game has become the new norm.

Sorry it's not 1994 anymore gentlemen. I truly am.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm about as excited about this game as I was SNK Heroines. You really can't compare any of the Neo titles to those that came after them, remember SNK had their time and they didn't last.

2001 was a long time ago now and since it's been a cash grab other than maybe 13 if you have to choose a game that at least tried.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Admittedly, the most recent console I own was released 12+ years ago...

...but even I know, in 2019, microtransactions and buying stuff to supplement the main game has become the new norm.

Sorry it's not 1994 anymore gentlemen. I truly am.

It could be a lot worse.

I forget if it was Neo Geo Battle Coliseum or, KOF XI but, one of them had characters unlock via how many hours were put into the game. Some, it was thousands of hours of total play time. Again, this was ONLY the Atomiswave version so...just saying, things could be way worse.

Jon

Fygee

20 Year Member
Personally I'd much rather unlock characters by earning them like that (a la Smash games), though obviously not with thousands of hours of play like an arcade machine would do (a la MvC2).

Gives a big incentive for the player to play more, and also increase their skill.

Shanadria

New Challenger
I like the style and the looks of the New Samurai Shodown.

From my point of view, its very similar to the impression caused by SFIV, and that´s a good thing.

I hope SNK delivers a good game and maybe we can have a new Fatal Fury...