most recent Samurai Spirits came out in 2019 already.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
The game is 90% percent complete according to one of the interviews last month, and it's expected to release on Q2.

We will get some news in March the latest, as SNK is participating in an event to showcase the game. We may still get new stuff between now and then.

SNK is also considering implementing neural network based AI in SS and its future games:

http://cyberfanatix.com/2019/01/25/...iscuss-neural-network-ai-into-fighting-games/

saner

Krauser's Henchman
If anything, the Metroid Prime 4 update proves that sometimes no news is very good news. Nintendo just went with the Python-esque "all of the people making this game have been sacked, we will now redo everything in a completely different style." SNK probably doesn't have the war chest to get away with that, so they need to take their time and get everything right the first time.

MP4 devs messing up is no surprise, especially considering Nintendo is a bad joke of a company and every 1st party videogame is mediocre and overrated. and when a disaster like MP4 comes up, the fanatics are there to apply damage control to the situation.

SNK is not Nintendo nor those incompetent devs, and they sure aren't making a bounty hunter simulator. they are masters of fighting games.

also take note there has been NO footage of MP4 gameplay, whereas SS at least got a teaser gameplay trailer already revealed and its now 90% complete.

so this is not expecting SNK to promote SS consistently before they are ready, but rather spectulation and a bit anxious to when they are gonna start the promotional campaign like they did with KOFXIV and SNK Heroines. and with heavy hitters along the way through Q2, it brings to question how they are gonna make Samurai Shodown 2019 enticing enough to the mainstream, so it at least does better than KOFXIV.

remember Blizzard took a loooot of time developing Diablo 3, at it was still initially a critical disaster until a major reform much later.

and there are other examples like Duke Nukem Forever, FFVersusXIII, and others that took absurd amounts of times to 'get right', and they still turned out bad.
so extra time and secrecy =/= better preparation nor better quality product.

MP4 devs are downright incompetent so they really can be compared to SNK.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
MP4 devs messing up is no surprise, especially considering Nintendo is a bad joke of a company and every 1st party videogame is mediocre and overrated. and when a disaster like MP4 comes up, the fanatics are there to apply damage control to the situation.

SNK is not Nintendo nor those incompetent devs, and they sure aren't making a bounty hunter simulator. they are masters of fighting games.

also take note there has been NO footage of MP4 gameplay, whereas SS at least got a teaser gameplay trailer already revealed and its now 90% complete.

so this is not expecting SNK to promote SS consistently before they are ready, but rather spectulation and a bit anxious to when they are gonna start the promotional campaign like they did with KOFXIV and SNK Heroines. and with heavy hitters along the way through Q2, it brings to question how they are gonna make Samurai Shodown 2019 enticing enough to the mainstream, so it at least does better than KOFXIV.

remember Blizzard took a loooot of time developing Diablo 3, at it was still initially a critical disaster until a major reform much later.

and there are other examples like Duke Nukem Forever, FFVersusXIII, and others that took absurd amounts of times to 'get right', and they still turned out bad.
so extra time and secrecy =/= better preparation nor better quality product.

MP4 devs are downright incompetent so they really can be compared to SNK.

Oh shit, we’ve got Tanooki 2.0 up in here...

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Oh look, the real players use the correct aspect ratio and don't squish the graphics because they can't stand black bars like some pussy from the 1990s who only rented VHS that was pan and scan.

wtf. I dont mind watching movies on VHS tapes recorded at SLP speed! and you know that even stuff on VHS tapes are still displayed fullscreen on a widescreen HDTV, though it may depend on the settings. though actually I havent watched movies on VHS since the 4:3 CRT or whatever TV I used. anyways, thats a totally different subject.

I still prefer full screen instead of borders for gaming.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
After all this wait, I was hoping they would show new characters and stages at least. The game is releasing in 2 - 4 months and they haven't showed much since the reveal trailer.

Edit:

Replaced the video with a higher quality trailer + the game will be playable at PAX East 2019 (March 28).

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Never thought I'd say this but this game looks polished and fun!

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
You can briefly see Galford's stage when they show his intro.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
and you know that even stuff on VHS tapes are still displayed fullscreen on a widescreen HDTV,

I know we're not supposed to use this word anymore, but you are legitimately a fucking retard. I mean, you are dumb. Impossibly dumb.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
New trailer looks quite poorly presented and the graphics style does not fit the game. Graphics style look too ink-heavy. This ain't SF4. SNK needs to step up their presentation, and hopefully the game is not as bare bones as the recent ports. SNK's online play also needs a better netcode.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I think the ink style fits better here than it did with SFIV. I can see many improvements in the character models and the animations look good. Poppy in particular stood out as very improved. The blood effect on the characters looks like it may have been toned down to be more subtle, so much so that I thought there was something wrong with Galford's shading at first when viewing the trailer on my phone. Now that I have watched it a few times on a bigger screen, I like what I am seeing.

I'll be at PAX East so I look forward to giving this a try in a month.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
New trailer looks quite poorly presented and the graphics style does not fit the game. Graphics style look too ink-heavy.
Maybe you are not familiar with the Samurai Shodown series.

SamuraiSpirits3.jpg

samurai-spirits-4e262efa30c8b.jpg

523132.jpg

SS is the series this style fits MOST.
lol@ SF4. You goon.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
New trailer looks quite poorly presented and the graphics style does not fit the game. Graphics style look too ink-heavy. This ain't SF4. SNK needs to step up their presentation, and hopefully the game is not as bare bones as the recent ports. SNK's online play also needs a better netcode.

Always someone with a shitty opinion.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
SouthtownKid nailed it. I really hope Shiroi Eiji’s illustrations are able to be used in this title at least in some capacity.

kei_dash

n00b
Just kidding. The new game will be part of Evo's main event this year:

Thanks a lot for the new info about the game.
The new graphic ink-style is a win to SS series.

...waiting for some real tournament gameplay... :snack:

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
That look with polygons is straight trash. Animations are choppy on to of that, and very poor use of unreal 4 engine. SNK of the ps3/360 era as well as this gen has been trash at presentation. You can't damage control this. Don't like my opinion, then stay mad and continue crying. I love your tears.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Don't like my opinion
Stop feeding the troll, people... the problem isn't whether you like his opinion, it's that you are assuming it matters to begin with. Game looks terrific, the only concern I have at this point is roster size and I have a hunch that SNK is holding back a lot of character reveals to fuel the hype machine later on.