most recent Samurai Spirits came out in 2019 already.

Leback

Stakes Winner
Normally I'm not that into limited editions but the Jap snap case looks cool.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
So I downloaded the Samurai Shodown demo, and yes there is a time limit, but switching playstation accounts basically resets this timer. So with that in mind I decided to do a little write up on the game. First I explored Haohmaru. WIll cover more stuff through the month. Excuse the typos.

Haohmaru
Normals:
Light attack - decent range for St and Cr. Close St, and Cr are special cancel-able as are far St and Cr. No form combos into itself. Neutral jump seems to be a good counter air attack. forward jump leads to close St which can be canceled into DP (all forms) FF light seems to be a decent footsie tool, doesn't seem to lead to anything though.

Mid attack - St has good range. Hits right outside of a up close back dash. Also has up close versions. Cr. has same animation as Cr. light but does 50 more damage and seems slightly slower. St. is not special cancel-able, all other forms are. Jump attacks are similar to light attacks. Of course they do a bit more damage. Can combo into all normals, even heavy if the jump attack is deep enough. FF mid is special cancel-able

Heavy attack - St. has great range for Haoh at least. Hits one step out of close up back dash range. Cr. has okay range, Mid is better by a step, but seems to be good Anti-air. Cr. far and close are the same, but close St. is different, and is a bit faster than far St. Non of the attacks are special cancel-able. Jumping attack doesn't have great range but seems to have a good hit block (sword basically covers his whole body) FF heavy is the same animation as his Cr. and seems to work as a good anti-air. St has forward momentum. Only normal besides St K that does this it seems.

Kick attack - St. kick has forward momentum. Cr is special cancel-able but is to slow to actually hit any special attacks. F K is a standing low attack. DF is a slide that knocks down, and is also his FF attack. Jumping K can combo into mid if hit deep enough. St seems to be a good anti air

Specials:
Cresent Moon Slash - Haohs DP. Follows the basic formula of light be fastest and shortest range and heavy being slowest but has best range. All have invisibility on start up, but doesn't feel like a ton. Still can lose to jump in attacks if not timed correctly. Heavy becomes a EX version while in rage mode

Cyclone Slash - Only heavy version hits full screen. To slow of start up to actually combo this from any normals. All forms knockdown.

Renting Tremor Slash - basically a running form of the DP, all forms cover a bit more range. Heavy becomes a EX move while in rage mode

Fake Cyclone slash - does wind up for cyclone but doesn't actually throw the projectile. Used to bait jump ins to then punish with DP

Earthquake Slice - different ranges for all versions. Light version will not cross over up close. Knocks down on hit. Goes over low attacks.

Rice Wine Wack - swift attack that causes a knockdown but enemy flys back a bit

Flame of the Conqueror - This is Hoah's super, and its basically a flashier version of his St. Heavy slash. Does not work as an anti air, but does work have a forward or back grab.

Judgment Blast Slash - His super special move. Not gonna hit this unless you do a weapon reflect attack. Does around 80% as i think most of these moves will do.

Grabs:

Forward Grab - most normals will hit after his forward grab, incluing St. L,M, Cr. M, FF L,M,H,. Now with your opponent in the corner all this changes. Since theres not as much push back you can even get St. H to connect. Also after forward grab, M and H DP will connect.
Back Grab - Works basically the same as forward, except St. and Cr L will whiff, but FF L will connect, Cr. M also whiffs, and as expected, H attacks will be to slow. But again, throwing your opponent in the corner will allow for St. H

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler

Great news. I hope they can shave off at least 3 frames

Also

DId some more lab work tonight for Samurai Shodown. This time looked at the new character in the demo, Yashamaru. Again forgive the typos. Also I wasn't able to finish as the demo ran out of time. I'll be making more PSN accounts, and will add more info to this thread later.

Yashamaru

Normals:

Light attack - not as good range as Haohmarus L. has close L attacks. Jumping L has a downward angle that has good range.

Mid attack - St. M has great range. Even better than Hoahs St. M. His Cr. M hits at round start. Air M looks to be a good air to air attack. CL. St. M and Cr. M can be comboed into 236 L.

Heavy attack - St. H has good range, but has really bad recovery, but has a lot of forward moment. It also can hit twice if you press H again. Cl. St. H has a decent amount of push back. Cr. H is a 2 hit attack, and the first hit will whiff on round start. Cl. Cr. H also hits twice and the second hit will launch opponent in the air and cause a knockdown. Forward jump differs from neutral jump as it has a upwards hitting arch where as neutral jump H is a downward slash.

Kick attack - His kicks are very similar to Haohs, except his DF kick is a Cr. roundhouse (think Ryu) that has foward momentum.

Specials:

Wintry Gust - 214(L,M,H) in the air. Is a hit throw attack. He throws his blade at an angle and if it hits he teleports and does a throw animation. Move can be tiger kneed and done in neutral,forward, or back jumps. It can also be preformed during Yashamaru's double jump in all directions. can be done at the point of descent in the jump as well. EX wintry gust allows you to combo into his Arctic Tempest (623L,M,H)

Azure Gale - 236(L,M,H) Air OK. A forward hitting trust attack. M can hit from a round start back dash location. All forms do 100 damage. H is a trust that goes in the air at an up forward angle, used to hit jumping opponents. Can preform Azure Gale in the air. L and M travel different distances, while H is a downward angled attack. Basically the reverse of his ground 236H. All air forms can be tiger kneed and also work with Yashamaru's double jump. Ground EX version travels farther and fast and is a 3 hit combo. The air version has the same properties, and based on where it hits, can put you on the opposite side. He has the opposite side property when the move is blocked as well

Arctic Tempest - 623(L,M,H) 3 hit combo move that has Yashamaru spinning in a circle in the air then coming down with the final hit. Its an air attack so it must be blocked standing. Looks like it can avoid ground based attacks and projectiles. All forms do the same damage. Each form has different forward momentum, H being the farthest amount. 3rd hit of the special can whiff on all forms if preformed too close to the opponent. EX version hits right outside of full screen. During the EX version hits it can cross up to the opposite side if spaced correctly. Can be used to combo after an EX Wintry Gust.

Ebony Tengu Feathers (upgrades during rage explosion) - 236MH. Yasha's WFT which seems him throw out a bunch of small projectiles. Thing is its really slow. Doesn't seem to combo from anything. Can't combo from guard break.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I was worried because watching matches on youtube was boring for me, but actually playing the demo was the complete opposite.

One interesting thing I noticed while playing with my friend near the end of our session was that he could cancel his blocked heavy slash with a super move during his stun animation. Not 100% sure though (haven't got the chance to confirm it).

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I was worried because watching matches on youtube was boring for me, but actually playing the demo was the complete opposite.

One interesting thing I noticed while playing with my friend near the end of our session was that he could cancel his blocked heavy slash with a super move during his stun animation. Not 100% sure though (haven't got the chance to confirm it).

You can cancel most all normals into special moves on block in Samsho games. Its part of the rock,paper scissors of the mechanics. Also, watching matches now will be a bit boring because nobody knows what they are doing. give it a few days after the game comes out and check out some tournament footage (Wednesday night fights, or Next level battle circuit) and I bet you will find more enjoyment from watching. Also enjoyment will increase once you undertand the game better.

@greedostick
PC release should be winter 2019. I think thats the window for the Switch release as well.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Anyone who gives the necrotic zombie SNK money is a traitor in my eyes.

Samurai Shodown was never meant to be low budget shovelware. Fucking disgusting.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'm still pretty hyped. It looks to be a proper SamSho and more bloody than ever.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Anyone who gives the necrotic zombie SNK money is a traitor in my eyes.

Samurai Shodown was never meant to be low budget shovelware. Fucking disgusting.

The input lag issue is being fixed. That doesn't make it low budget shovelware. Calm your autism.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Oh really? So what was Samurai Spirits 6 then? I already paid for the latest SS and can't wait to play it.

Every fighting game series has those fans who would pay as much for a turd as they would a pearl.

But when the devs give turds, the fans of pearls hold their money and walk away.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Some good matches in this one, and we get to see more of what the new character Darli can do.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Every fighting game series has those fans who would pay as much for a turd as they would a pearl.

But when the devs give turds, the fans of pearls hold their money and walk away.

The pearls can be found anew in the prequels, the urge to find them in current offerings shouldn't be so vital, especially not with the Samurai Spirits series and its numerous parts. A remake of the first could be more exiting.