most recent Samurai Spirits came out in 2019 already.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Thought I read somewhere the retro skins were the Hyper64 throwback nostalgia?

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Boss revealed!?
hhcS4fB.jpg

gKxflRd.jpg

pIzbsH0.jpg

7qT6pz9.jpg

Y2peedX.jpg

3rdokWA.jpg

hvzluPK.jpg

NZinlLB.jpg

Last edited:

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have to admit that I'm looking forward to this release...

Leback

Stakes Winner
Yeah the stages are coming together nicely. Seeing it in motion is pretty impressive too, they seem to have made a good progress since it was announced. Hope the netcode is good.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Yeah the stages are coming together nicely. Seeing it in motion is pretty impressive too, they seem to have made a good progress since it was announced. Hope the netcode is good.

Having played it at PAX, the shading style does not pop in youtube videos, you have to see it for your own eyes to experience the magic.

saner

Krauser's Henchman

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Iroha wins official Dengeki poll for most desired playable character added to Samurai Shodown through DLC.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SamuraiSho...eki_online_jp_website_conducting_a_character/

1. Iroha 383 votes
2. Shizumaru 178 votes
3. Basara 161 votes
4. Mina 160 votes
5. Cham Cham 146 votes
6. Rimururu

https://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/907/1907227/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-tFs_CfnEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIo10ZnTvH8

Man I hope Shizumaru makes the cut, kinda tired of SNK sleeping on my mains.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Man I hope Shizumaru makes the cut, kinda tired of SNK sleeping on my mains.
same about Shizumaru, although they've been doing pretty well for me on other games. I would have loved to have Jubei in KOF, but Angel, Vanessa & Ramon, and Tung Fu Rue were enough to make me happy.

For this game, Shizumaru, Basara, Kazuki and Sogetsu are a must. Mina and Yunfei would be nice.

Iroha is a character for goons and sad shut-ins, which unfortunately make up a large portion of the current generation of Japanese gamers.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I never played SSVI and I just looked up Iroha...oh, yeesh...

saner

Krauser's Henchman
same about Shizumaru, although they've been doing pretty well for me on other games. I would have loved to have Jubei in KOF, but Angel, Vanessa & Ramon, and Tung Fu Rue were enough to make me happy.

For this game, Shizumaru, Basara, Kazuki and Sogetsu are a must. Mina and Yunfei would be nice.

Iroha is a character for goons and sad shut-ins, which unfortunately make up a large portion of the current generation of Japanese gamers.

oh hush. how would you feel if someone said something like "Shizumaru is for priests and pedophiles. and Basara, Kazuki and Sogetsu are for emo cocksuckers ,which unfortunately make up a large portion of the current generation of homosexuals with their insatiable thirst for more males to masturbate at".

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Am I the only one truly disturbed by the excess of light effects and any hit or block event? :-/

New characters really looks like out of place, one of them is Bob Wilson ancestor or something, mixed up with some Lillien Knights progenitor or something? Blah, cheap.

Think I'll stick to good ole Zankuro Musouken, d'oh.

All in all everyone by now knows, or has accepted, the obvious: 3D simply does not work as a real basis/playground for these kinds of games. But 3D is cheaper by now, and hi-res do not work that well with sprite-based game either. So anybody is doing 100% 2D gameplay with 3D graphics, which is ridiculous, and struggling to come up with some graphic style that may actually work, for you just can't have real-life looks for such fantasy characters of course, nor you can have full cartoonish style for something 3D rendered. This is all nonsense to me. Just let 2D animation and 2D games be what they are, hand-drawn fantasy, and movies and CG shit be what they are, 3D live action flicks. No?

End of the story is possibly that once you've lost the pixel feel, videogames are gone. Maybe just having them gone for good could be the best option of all. Good memories are better than shitty, unnecessary reality.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
oh hush. how would you feel if someone said something like... "is for priests and pedophiles.
Firstly, I would tell that person that saying "priests and pedophiles" is redundant. Then I would point out that you already said that one of the new, completely generic Soul Calibur-y design characters was much better than Shizumaru specifically. After that, I would inform you that all of the classic series characters relate to existing archetypes in Japanese samurai and ninja mythology which you seem blissfully ignorant of, while Iroha relates only to pathetic shut-in sexy maid fetishism. And lastly, I would suggest to you that you are probably the last person who should bring up the subject of pedophilia with your moe fixation combined with your many times self-admitted and troubling love of seeing the child characters bloodily dismembered, and your anger when you denied seeing said child dismemberment.

I hope that adequately answers your question, you frightening creep.

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Dear STK, I mostly enjoy your posts and all, yet working with Japan, Japanese culture and all since about 25 yrs now, please just allow me to fill in some blanks I found in a piece of yours. No patronizing intent whatsoever of course, plus you may already know what I'll be writing, but hey, that's all good.

all of the classic series characters relate to existing archetypes in Japanese samurai and ninja mythology which you seem blissfully ignorant of, while Iroha relates only to pathetic shut-in sexy maid fetishism.

First point is only half-true. While some original SS characters do relate to historical, classical, mythological or just folkloristic Japanese figures, that's not true for all of them. Yagyuu Jubei, Amakusa Shirou Tokisada, Hattori Hanzou are one thing. But other characters are influenced, if not strictly based, on popular medias such as manga and anime. First reference for the original SS is of course the "Jubei Ninpouchou" animated movie, particularly for the most extreme stuff (Gen'an, etc). Charlotte is strongly influenced by Ikeda Riyoko's "Versailles no Bara" classic (please also refer to some "secret team" in KOF 97/98, iirc). Then again, Kibagami Genjuro is from the bad guy in "THE HAKKENDEN" ova series, which is of corse derived per se from Bakin Takizawa literature classic "Nanso Satomi Hakkenden".

After that, SSZero and ZeroSp got their new characters designed by Wazuki-sensei (of Rurouni Kenshin fame), who admittedly was a SS old tymer fan to begin with.

Ad for Iroha, while it's true she was molded to catch up with the then-new "maid boom", please also refer to her more "serious" theme at least:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuru_no_Ongaeshi

Again, no arguing of course, just adding some bits for anyone interested to enjoy. :-)

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
All in all everyone by now knows, or has accepted, the obvious: 3D simply does not work as a real basis/playground for these kinds of games. But 3D is cheaper by now, and hi-res do not work that well with sprite-based game either. So anybody is doing 100% 2D gameplay with 3D graphics, which is ridiculous, and struggling to come up with some graphic style that may actually work, for you just can't have real-life looks for such fantasy characters of course, not you can have full cartoonish style for something 3D rendered. This is all nonsense to me.

Hi-res sprite based that works for me: Rumble Fish

2D gameplay that works w/ cartoonish 3D render that works for me:
Xrd & TvC.

But for the most part, I agree w/ your post.

The prevailing trends that have held sway since the mid 2000s have not resonated w/ me.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Personally I find any character added in SS3 - SS6 uninteresting, with the exception of Basara. I even prefer the ones added in SS64 WR and SS Sen over those. But Seiger, Genan and Wanfu are the ones I want the most now.

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have Rumble Fish, I'll have to check it out. But this new version of Samurai is just the next progression of the game. It's the same thing they did with SS64s on the hyper64, street fighter did with EX, and mortal kombat 4. I think Tekken kinda started this 3D trend...

SNK is just late to the 3D party....

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
But other characters are influenced, if not strictly based, on popular medias such as manga and anime.
I was including Japanese popular culture in "mythology". Characters like Hanzo, Jubei, and Amakusa go beyond simple mythology and are adapted from actual historical figures. But I know you knew that.

Iroha is just pathetic, pandering junk.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I hope Wan Fu enters the fray wielding the saber from the first game. Probably one of the characters I have most liked ever in a game.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
btw the running Moon rabbit animation for loading time is lovely. No joke.