most recent Samurai Spirits came out in 2019 already.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Does blood spatter onto the opposing character a la injuries inflicted in AoF?
View attachment 51567
View attachment 51568

Yes, and it seems to stay on during the fight, not just during finishers (and I believe there are character-specific finishers / fatalities, but not fully shown since it's a trailer for public audience)

Edit: you can see more instances of the blood effect here:

PS: they fucking forgot Wanfu

Last edited:

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
EDIT: Whoops late reply. Already answered.

All I can think of when I see that Nakoruru stabbing someone with blood splattered everywhere is the eventual photoshop:

"Gomen nasai, senpai! UGUUUUUU...."

Someone get on that since I'm at work.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yes, and it seems to stay on during the fight, not just during finishers (and I believe there are character-specific finishers / fatalities, but not fully shown since it's a trailer for public audience)

Edit: you can see more instances of the blood effect here:

PS: they fucking forgot Wanfu

I get the sense that the fatalities will be off screen, as per the tendency for Japan to sensor extreme violence in videogames

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I'm sure all of the fatalities will be heavily stylized like the ones shown in the vid. The Nakoruru one might be close up just for her but we will have to see more when TGS is taking place.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
I heard they are toning down the blood and violence, at least in Japanese version. that is a mistake.

they should keep the blood and gore at the highest level, uncut in the western version (just like Fist of the North Star Ken's Rage 2 have even more blood/gore in american version compared to their japanese version).

Samurai Spirits 2019 should not pull any punches. Mortal Kombat isnt the only one that thrives from blood and gore.
SSV Special uncut and Sen are good examples of a healthy violent balance of blood and cutting people in half.

graphic violence sells a lot, especially for a weapons fighting game.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I heard they are toning down the blood and violence, at least in Japanese version. that is a mistake.

they should keep the blood and gore at the highest level, uncut in the western version (just like Fist of the North Star Ken's Rage 2 have even more blood/gore in american version compared to their japanese version).

Samurai Spirits 2019 should not pull any punches. Mortal Kombat isnt the only one that thrives from blood and gore.
SSV Special uncut and Sen are good examples of a healthy violent balance of blood and cutting people in half.

graphic violence sells a lot, especially for a weapons fighting game.

I don't know. I'll be honest, I put tastefulness above and beyond cheap thrills. Everything in good measure has its place,no real need to overdo it especially if it doesn't go with the feel of SS.
When SS came out for Atomiswave and they had done away completely with the blood as silly as it may sound , to me that was the biggest flaw in the game. I'm not into rivers of blood but blood will flow in a fight especially one with swords.
I would definitely be in favour of slivers of the red stuff here and there, and a spurt of blood upon a fatality (like in older SS games), but not the amount present in the trailer. It's a minor quip.
But just as bad as no blood is too much blood. This isn't MK, these characters for the most part aren't sadists, a quick non elaborade dignified death over butchery any day.

Blood should definitely be in KOF and SF too. Just a little. Without it it's silly.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
A weapon based fighter a.D. 2018... hope the weapons are not just there for the fatalities. One-slash knock outs would be cool, too. And weapon interlocks that'll always be decided for the CPU. And some funny bugs etc.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
A weapon based fighter a.D. 2018... hope the weapons are not just there for the fatalities. One-slash knock outs would be cool, too. And weapon interlocks that'll always be decided for the CPU. And some funny bugs etc.

I would like that too but this being Samurai Spirits I hope they don't mess around too much with the formula, this being SF with weapons. I would like big damage moves like in the first game. One slash KOs is something that still has so much potential in weapons based games. But I would personally like this to be done in a new Bushido Blade or new franchise. That's just me though

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
But will there be sexy bikini DLC???!!!

saner

Krauser's Henchman
I don't know. I'll be honest, I put tastefulness above and beyond cheap thrills. Everything in good measure has its place,no real need to overdo it especially if it doesn't go with the feel of SS.
When SS came out for Atomiswave and they had done away completely with the blood as silly as it may sound , to me that was the biggest flaw in the game. I'm not into rivers of blood but blood will flow in a fight especially one with swords.
I would definitely be in favour of slivers of the red stuff here and there, and a spurt of blood upon a fatality (like in older SS games), but not the amount present in the trailer. It's a minor quip.
But just as bad as no blood is too much blood. This isn't MK, these characters for the most part aren't sadists, a quick non elaborade dignified death over butchery any day.

Blood should definitely be in KOF and SF too. Just a little. Without it it's silly.

haha, even Nakoruru is a sadist behind her peaceful personality. she doesn't need to be in her "dark Nakoruru" to go in a "might makes right" killing rampage.

especially in the original Samurai Shodown, notice the quotes of the characters before and after fights mostly center on killing and no mercy.

SSV Special has the best balance of blood, however the gore aspect is hindered by the disappearing parts in some circumstances. and the black "space" instead of blood/gore in those opened up parts doesnt look natural enough.

of course there should be slash finishers besides overkills/fatalities, uncut SSV Special has both.

but I feel the blood in the trailer is not too much. though they shouldn't hide the finishers behind black silouettes or out of view camera twists cause that is spineless censorship in itself.

they can be mature about it without fearing overdoing it like MK or Eternal Champions.

they can simply study SSV Special uncut, which is fatalities done right the Samurai Shodown way. slash finishers, overkill finishers, and the inputs are perfect and not complicated. AND SSV Special was more rewarding in having a wider window to successful slash finishers.

they could also study Sen, which does some finisher aspects more realistic than any sprites have achieved.

and Samurai Shodown is in essence of the top, because if someone can leap dozens of feet into the air and still fight in 100% condition despite receiving a slash to the vitals, its not exactly a 100% real duel simulator compared to even Bushido Blade.

so leaning more on excellent blood and finishers would be a good thing and result in more gratifying combat.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
This game has reawakened all the worst parts of saner again. Hide your kids.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
also they should bring back overkills from SSV Special and not hold back with the violence, blood, gore and finishers. cutting people in half diagonally and vertically is a must too.
and like SSV Special, it should be pretty easy to trigger a slash finisher (SS1-4 were often too strict in requirements to trigger a finisher
and I hate SS4's direction command finishers. it overcomplicates things.).

No. They shouldn’t. Samurai Shodown was never SNK’s equivalent to Mortal Kombat, nor does it need to be.

As promising as this look, I’ll wait until we see more before I get excited. I have no interest in another fighter plagued by retardedly long combos. So far the only negative I have is my usual personal nitpick; too many OGs.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
No. They shouldn’t. Samurai Shodown was never SNK’s equivalent to Mortal Kombat, nor does it need to be.

Mortal Kombat didn't invent blood and gore. and Samurai Shodown adopted blood and cutting people in two since the very first game.
So know your Samurai Shodown history. Also the conception of Samurai Shodown is partially credit to inspiration from Mortal Kombat, among other things. Nothing wrong with that. You know Samurai Shodown's format also owes Street Fighter II credit since it started the framework for mainstream 2D fighting games in some fundamentals.

so if you think Samurai Shodown doesn't need blood and gore, then it doesn't need health gauges, rounds, nor a timer either, since those things are obviously adopted by fighting games that existed before SNK joined the genre.

and dont exaggerate what I mean of blood and gore. SSV Special has a great balance of blood and gore, though it would be awkward if body parts disappear/fade, or there's a black space in place of blood/gore openings for what is gonna be a 3D and more detailed graphical presentation. it doesnt have to show organs, I dont mind if its mostly blood covering that stuff, but if someone gets opened up, there has to be at least red there.

yea ok they can tone down the geyser sized blood splashes, but there should be enough blood flying around. they arent wielding whiffle bats.

Samurai Shodown 1 has blood sprays and cutting people in two (legs and torso). 2 has blood and cutting people in two. 3 has blood and cutting people in two (although it is stupid they make Nakoruru and Rimururu immune ot finishers. but I think that was during a time when that massacre in Japan happened)
4 has lots of blood and finishers (though it feels tougher to cut someone in two), didn't play 5. but 5 Special really sets the standards for blood, gore and finishers, which the 2019 Samurai Shodown should top. what little I seen of Sen, that seems to have nice violent finishers, but not sure how tough it is to trigger those. VI was a disgrace in the violence category, a lot of fans hate the lack of blood and gore, even for a festival game, its a total waste being so childish and spineless towards graphic violence.

so yes, blood and gore is just as much a part of th Samurai Shodown legacy and the essence of expressing the dangers and lethality and sharpness of weapon combat

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Get em saner, GET EM!

Violence and gore is a big part of Sam Sho.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Mortal Kombat didn't invent blood and gore. and Samurai Shodown adopted blood and cutting people in two since the very first game.
So know your Samurai Shodown history.

Been playing the series since the 1st game, thank you very much. I was alright with fatalities being random rather than mandatory. THAT WAS MY POINT.

Personally, I’d be happy if forfeit/suicide moves returned. Probably one of the last good gimmicks this genre ever had.

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
All I really ask for is solid netcode at launch. Any modern fighting game willing to succeed needs this.
No matter how much content they add, playing against other people is what really matters to me.
Other stuff can be patched eventually, but solid netcode is needed to build a decent community around the game.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Been playing the series since the 1st game, thank you very much. I was alright with fatalities being random rather than mandatory. THAT WAS MY POINT.

Personally, I’d be happy if forfeit/suicide moves returned. Probably one of the last good gimmicks this genre ever had.

Exactly. Give me a break... There's a huge difference between blood spraying as you have in Samurai movies, and Mortal Kombat finishing moves where your character becomes a psychopath.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So know your Samurai Shodown history.
Mortal Kombat predates the first Samurai Shodown game. Know your video game history.

Exactly. Give me a break... There's a huge difference between blood spraying as you have in Samurai movies, and Mortal Kombat finishing moves where your character becomes a psychopath.
You can't talk to saner about this. Back when SS5S came out, he showed his psychopath side ranting on and on about how much he loved the ultra-violent brutality style fatalities, especially when it came to dismembering and bisecting underage girl characters like Rimururu. It was very disturbing.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
'sage, please don't encourage Saner.

Okay?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

Cool. Thank you for posting this to clear that up. Interesting that the stylistic similarity was more or less intentional by snk:

“So first and foremost, it looks like SNK has finally taken hints from the community and utilized a more dynamic shader system for the game. It’s very similar to what Capcom used for Street Fighter IV.”

“You can see that there’s some roughness around the shading transitions on the normals, giving it the look of an artist’s sketch.”

“What’s different for Samurai Spirits に比べ ストリートファイターIV is that SNK decided that the shadow occlusion on the characters should be black instead of a darkened version of their skin tone. This creates the illusion of an ink-like contrast for the shadows and outlines, where the characters look like a detailed colored sketch.”

source: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/ja/20...ing-in-2019-powered-by-unreal-engine-4/68810/

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Mortal Kombat predates the first Samurai Shodown game. Know your video game history.

You can't talk to saner about this. Back when SS5S came out, he showed his psychopath side ranting on and on about how much he loved the ultra-violent brutality style fatalities, especially when it came to dismembering and bisecting underage girl characters like Rimururu. It was very disturbing.

Ha! Fuck

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Here's hoping the game gets the snk heroine treatment. Can't wait for earthquake in a thong!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk