most recent Samurai Spirits came out in 2019 already.

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
giphy.gif

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
My prayers have been answered. Now I can't wait to see some real match play to judge. I just want it to play like an SS game and not something crazy combo driven. I can't tell anything when all they are showing are the supers. The SFIV style suits SS very well.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
41478589_1146235542197729_5471072699063205888_n.png

Additional characters can be spotted here: TamTam, Genjuro, Hanzo, Kyoshiro and Ukyo (in middle is Charlotte?)

Last edited:

jeffkun34

20 Year Member
View attachment 51557

Additional characters can be spotted here: TamTam, Genjuro, Hanzo, Kyoshiro and Ukyo (in middle is Charlotte?)

Probably Charlotte. Holding a sword, wearing a skirt and boots, seems like her to me. Maybe this is trying to give off the feel of her background painting from SSII.

So far:

Haohmaru
Galford
Kyoshiro
Earthquake
Tam Tam
Jubei
Genjuro
Hanzo
Nakoruru
Ukyuo
Charlotte

If we assume a minimum of 16 characters I hope for the addition of:

Basara
Sogetsu
Shiki (She needs more love)
Rimururu
Shizumaru

Although if Earthquake is in, I bet Genan might make it in too.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
And the blood! So far so fucking good
Edit: graphics remind me heavily of SFIV

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Looks fantastic. The look has me wondering if dimps was involved...

jeffkun34

20 Year Member
Looks fantastic. The look has me wondering if dimps was involved...

I would not be surprised since they have a lot of ex-SNK staff. Seems like they lost favor with Capcom after SFxT and now BAMCO is paying the bills.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Edit: graphics remind me heavily of SFIV

It's almost video game plagiarism. It's even the same texturing on the character models.

I mean, cool, it fits Samurai Shodown more than Street Fighter, but still. Blatant.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I'm fine with any look as long as the game plays in a 2D plane and feels like a Samurai Shodown (eg, unlike anything after 5 special). So relieved to see this, this game is years overdue.

Edit: The history aspect of the trailer is interesting. Not sure the game will build on it at all, but I'm wondering if SNK might be looking to encroach on Koei's Samurai Warriors storytelling territory.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's almost video game plagiarism. It's even the same texturing on the character models.

I mean, cool, it fits Samurai Shodown more than Street Fighter, but still. Blatant.

So SNK copying something Capcom did, just like the old days

saner

Krauser's Henchman
SNK doesn't overdo it with the 'ink', so its not plagiarism, otherwise every single anime out there with saucer eyed characters are plagiarism to each other.

the new SS should get a number though, sequel number sell more than reboot numbers or subtitles (as proven by how much more RE4 sold compared to Code Veronica, the proper 4th RE.)
sequel numbers have more marketing strength.

also they should bring back overkills from SSV Special and not hold back with the violence, blood, gore and finishers. cutting people in half diagonally and vertically is a must too.
and like SSV Special, it should be pretty easy to trigger a slash finisher (SS1-4 were often too strict in requirements to trigger a finisher
and I hate SS4's direction command finishers. it overcomplicates things.).

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm in, it looks great so far and it's got me excited so why not.

jeffkun34

20 Year Member
008.jpg

The crosshatching looks nice but they all have early unreal engine play-doh hair which means Poppy looks a bit jank. I'm sure it will get way more polish before release since that could be a year or so off.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
SNK doesn't overdo it with the 'ink', so its not plagiarism, otherwise every single anime out there with saucer eyed characters are plagiarism to each other.

the new SS should get a number though, sequel number sell more than reboot numbers or subtitles (as proven by how much more RE4 sold compared to Code Veronica, the proper 4th RE.)
sequel numbers have more marketing strength.

also they should bring back overkills from SSV Special and not hold back with the violence, blood, gore and finishers. cutting people in half diagonally and vertically is a must too.
and like SSV Special, it should be pretty easy to trigger a slash finisher (SS1-4 were often too strict in requirements to trigger a finisher
and I hate SS4's direction command finishers. it overcomplicates things.).

I disagree. The character models are very similar to sfiv's. They have that rubbery puppet look to them, slightly caricaturized. Together with the ink brush effect, it's close to plagiarism. Or maybe Dimps is involved as Bninja speculated.
What I'm happy about is that this game seems to he made for serious 2d competitive play. Good enough for me.

I much prefer SS3s dark toned atomsphere but we'll see how this progresses.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
might as well call Fatal Fury or KOF94 a Street Fighter mod then.
ya'll shouldnt be so ungrateful like those Dynasty Warriors nitpickers. at least Sonic fans have a reason to complain since their series is totally derailed and clueless which direction to go.

but Samurai Shodown? SNK is looking to do things right, even the amazing soundtrack is sounding phenomenol!!
and KOFXIV has solid game mechanics, and the new Samurai Shodown has superior graphics, art direction and atmosphere that is fitting to the series.
the trailer is example the devs are more in touch with the franchise than companies of other franchises.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
might as well call Fatal Fury or KOF94 a Street Fighter mod then.

Why? KoF94's art didn't look anything like SFII and FF1 barely looks similar. This game has the colored pencil and ink styles of SFIV.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
This made a significantly better first impression than KoFXIV. As soon as they'll let me buy a PC version, I'm likely in. It's been too long.

Dizzy11523

Camel Slug
15 Year Member
This is so fucking glorious!!!!! I love the blood. I love the way it feels like a throwback. I hope Amakusa is playable. So dope to see Charlotte get some love in that picture. SNK IS BACK.