most recent Samurai Spirits came out in 2019 already.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
They leave out Wanfu as the token chinaman and replace him with another silk pajama wearing fuckrag
and OF COURSE I come back to Saner loving these character designs that belong on a jizz caked body pillow.

Darli also looks like she belongs in Chrono Cross...

You are wrong. Those shitty designs are actually all ONE PIECE shitty lookalike, you know. :-(

And holy shit Yoshitora made the cut: A pedo character designed by a pedo manga artist who was basically the Poochy to Haomaru and Genjuros Itchy and Scratchy, a lame tryhard character design if I ever saw one.

That's because Yoshitora is the main character out of the SamuSupiZero "arc". In term of backstory (he's a Tokugawa), move set (the multi-sword, multi-fower thing, etc) and attitude in general he's a pretty elaborated character indeed. I don't get why you call him a pedo though, for he's the very stereotype of a "lady killer" (a seducer, a Don Giovanni, or just "such a stud"), that is.

On the other hand...

Aside from Shiki, did they ever create a good character after SS3?

While I do agree Zankuro Musouken has been the best Samurai Spirits design wise, I would like to remember that both Hisame Shizumaru and Rimururu, namely the top child-like characters in a series, were introduced with that very chapter.

As for good design after Zankuro Musoken I would name at least: Kazama Kazuki, Kazama Sougetsu, Enja, Suija, Rera, Kurokochi Yumeji and possibly Majikina Mina.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I don't get why you call him a pedo though,

I may have covered this a couple times already, but his designer Nobuhiro Watsuki was a nonce and he wasn't too shy about adding his proclivities to Yoshitoras backstory as well. Which is why his intro/victory poses with his 6 girlfriends includes a toddler.

He's trash. Just like Kusaregedo, Sankuro, Iroha etc.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Fuck, I hope Iroha is not coming to the game. If that piece of trash is in the game, Basara better be the first DLC and she should be the last.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Update Saturday morning: Still no limited version for the US and the free season pass is starting to look like an apology of sorts. Japan, on the other hand, just got another physical release. The SNK store will be selling a sake bundle (I'm not making this up) which consists of a physical copy of the game and some Samurai Spirits-themed sake.

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/540553-samurai-shodown-sake

If the sake is of average to good quality (I have no clue about sake) I consider this an awesome idea.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I don't get all of the hate over Iroha. SNK needs to sell the game to teens or college-age kids to make cash because the oldtimers won't show up in large numbers. If they need the maid fetish to do that, then ok. That having been said, the world would be a better place without pedo-bait Rimururu.

I'm still more upset about the US physical release which appears to be game-only (barring a last second miracle).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You are wrong. Those shitty designs are actually all ONE PIECE shitty lookalike, you know. :-(

That's because Yoshitora is the main character out of the SamuSupiZero "arc". In term of backstory (he's a Tokugawa), move set (the multi-sword, multi-fower thing, etc) and attitude in general he's a pretty elaborated character indeed. I don't get why you call him a pedo though, for he's the very stereotype of a "lady killer" (a seducer, a Don Giovanni, or just "such a stud"), that is.

On the other hand...

While I do agree Zankuro Musouken has been the best Samurai Spirits design wise, I would like to remember that both Hisame Shizumaru and Rimururu, namely the top child-like characters in a series, were introduced with that very chapter.

As for good design after Zankuro Musoken I would name at least: Kazama Kazuki, Kazama Sougetsu, Enja, Suija, Rera, Kurokochi Yumeji and possibly Majikina Mina.

Why Yumeji? It was merely a transference of Bust Ukyo. Same for Rera, which was also just a Nakoruru transference. Mina was waifu garbage. The game offered waifus for the hentai otaku crowd, but that never made it right. The zero arc offerings of Enja and Suija were garbage in 2D. Horribly animated. The AZ versions were great though, and if you look at AZ, Asura and Shiki were both fantastic designs in both slash and bust formats.

But I have to stress again that we don't need waifus, and that the golden age of fighting games didn't pander to the waifu crowd.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I don't get all of the hate over Iroha. SNK needs to sell the game to teens or college-age kids to make cash because the oldtimers won't show up in large numbers. If they need the maid fetish to do that, then ok. That having been said, the world would be a better place without pedo-bait Rimururu.

I'm still more upset about the US physical release which appears to be game-only (barring a last second miracle).

I was expecting them to throw them in over time (if you follow the comments / "fan" requests for these characters, you will know what I mean)

But having them both in the first batch, along with having both Genan and Seiger missing, is very disappointing for me. I'm also not feeling the new designs (I agree with the one piece vibe) so I'm not keen on having a new character. Basara is fine.

It's still just a rumor and I hope it's false.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Kid ninjas are lame but...the karasu costume theme is ok. And unlike a giant saw that transforms into a drill, the nagamaki is a cool weapon.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Why Yumeji? It was merely a transference of Bust Ukyo. Same for Rera, which was also just a Nakoruru transference. Mina was waifu garbage. The game offered waifus for the hentai otaku crowd, but that never made it right. The zero arc offerings of Enja and Suija were garbage in 2D. Horribly animated. The AZ versions were great though, and if you look at AZ, Asura and Shiki were both fantastic designs in both slash and bust formats.

But I have to stress again that we don't need waifus, and that the golden age of fighting games didn't pander to the waifu crowd.

Well, as long as you consider game characters as intended to titillate the gamer's fantasies, you will always find those kind of argument. Shiranui Mai had been created for the sake of having a sexy bomb character in the line-up. On the other hand, Nakoruru was created for the exact opposite fetish: to have a "pure girl" fetish in, so let's make her an ainu girl, connected with nature and all. So ok, Mina is from Okinawa, hence she uses bow and arrows plus she's a darker tan skin and she's half naked (at least in a "believable" way). Same new name old, don't you think. Iroha appeals to the "maid boom" which was sooo big in Japan in her years, but at least Yuki Ent. had the nice touch to make use of the very Tsuru no Ongaeshi classical tale/theme, I like that.

Yet I know Yumeji is nothing but a Ukyo's head swap, but hey: everybody loves both Hanzou and Galford, insn't it? Rera is just the "alternative" Nakoruru, yes, but still nicely designed to me. And I love Mononoke Hime connection (San and the wolf, you know).

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I may have covered this a couple times already, but his designer Nobuhiro Watsuki was a nonce and he wasn't too shy about adding his proclivities to Yoshitoras backstory as well. Which is why his intro/victory poses with his 6 girlfriends includes a toddler.

Oh, c'mon, that's just a winpose and I always read that as a frank pun about "he's so cool girls of ANY age love him", in a very silly/light way.

I mean, the one wanting to EAT Rimururu in his/its storyline is Kusaregedo after all...

Design wise, I think Yoshitora's haido is shit though, way too much manga-ish to me. :-/

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I have to say that Yashamaru is pretty decent, they should have tweaked him slightly to fit the feel of clasic SS, but he is pretty decently designed.

not related to the 2D games but some of the 3D characters, for the PSX in particular where quite to my liking, as something of an off shoot but still very interesting indeed. Haito Kanakura was extremely interesting for the time. I remember seeing images of the characters in some Japanese magazine back then and being really impressed, not with all of them, some where horrible, but there was something quite fitting and streamlined about the designs that to me worked very well in terms of a different take on the franchise. games themselves where fucking boring

kanakura1-1.jpg

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well, as long as you consider game characters as intended to titillate the gamer's fantasies, you will always find those kind of argument. Shiranui Mai had been created for the sake of having a sexy bomb character in the line-up. On the other hand, Nakoruru was created for the exact opposite fetish: to have a "pure girl" fetish in, so let's make her an ainu girl, connected with nature and all. So ok, Mina is from Okinawa, hence she uses bow and arrows plus she's a darker tan skin and she's half naked (at least in a "believable" way). Same new name old, don't you think. Iroha appeals to the "maid boom" which was sooo big in Japan in her years, but at least Yuki Ent. had the nice touch to make use of the very Tsuru no Ongaeshi classical tale/theme, I like that.

Yet I know Yumeji is nothing but a Ukyo's head swap, but hey: everybody loves both Hanzou and Galford, insn't it? Rera is just the "alternative" Nakoruru, yes, but still nicely designed to me. And I love Mononoke Hime connection (San and the wolf, you know).

I actually didn’t like Galford at all until III, in the same way I didn’t like Ken Masters (and his stupid Boris Johnson hairstyle) until later on (and his hairstyle improved). In III, Galford really became more than a headswap.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Shito: I want to believe you but i can't.

And the OCD lore crafters at SNK won't let me either.

You can look up the blood type of the ostrich in metal slug 3, and find out if the turkey throwing guy in ss2 is more of a tits man than ass....

And yes, you can read that those are his 6 girlfriends, each one likely representing a fetish of watsuki lmao. Busty, long hair, pure, teen, jailbait and loli.

I'm sorry. Deal with it.

http://www.fightabase.com/charMain.aspx?id=4878

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Also,

Yumeji < bust ukyo
Rera < shit
Sankuro < feline aids

Head swaps are garbage.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I don't know, Poonman. I read you and I realize you are indeed educated about the matter. On the other hand, I've professionally dealt for quite a long time (25yrs to this date) with Japanese "pop" industry (manga, anime, games) to know that more than often certain puns are originally intended to be quite less venomous than what they're usually taken for in the West. I.E. one may argue that Yoshitora's six "female" swords, being all named after flowers, really allude to those six women being prostitutes? On the other hand, in his profile you'll read "I love every kind of woman in this great world." Among all the (many) stereotypes in Japanese pop culture, you'll find a lot of "ikemen types" indeed. One of them is the lady killer slacker genius (naturally talented in whatever he tries) who's really a lover of the woman as an ideal, so not really a ravish playboy, but rather a kind of good hearted frivolous guy. I don't know if you're familiar with the character of Asaba (Asapin) in "Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou", just to name one. I always assumed Yoshitora was (is) one of that very kind. :-)

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
strange poster art, seeing Haohmaru in iaido pose with an expression that says "maybe I'm going to draw this sword, maybe I just farted. tee hee."

Looking at this shit, I now understand the disappointment a father could have to his son for playing these games.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Someone mentioned a 2 hours time limit for the demo, but it was not mentioned in Gematsu's or Siliconera's articles.

Also, unless it's released in the west, you will need PS Plus on your Japanese account to access the demo (not sure about XBox One).

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
isn't it possible to get a free 7 day trail of PS Plus? Sucks about the 2 hour time limit

NGH-045

n00b
isn't it possible to get a free 7 day trail of PS Plus? Sucks about the 2 hour time limit
You can get a 14-Day Trial. AFAIK you have to add a payment method to the account to use it though.

That sound score really sounds awesome.