most recent Samurai Spirits came out in 2019 already.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I'm very excited about this - hope its at least decent as far as mechanics are concerned and that it retains the feel of the classics. It looks great IMO. I may finally spring for a new game console when the new Soul Calibur, this and Shenmue III are out

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I may finally spring for a new game console when the new Soul Calibur, this and Shenmue III are out
Just FYI Soul Calibur 6 and Shenmue III will be on PC too and, being an Unreal Engine game, there's no indication Samurai Spirits won't be on PC too. So you will have options.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Looking forward to passing on this when it's in the 20 dollar bin.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Not sure anything in that link is crazy news. The next KOF is always under development. Rimururu is always in Samurai Shodown even though nobody wants here there. Shiki would be kind of news, I guess. The character didn't really work for me in NGBC, though... her 2D design and moveset were kind of pointless. The whole point of Shiki in Samurai 64 was to show off the 3D engine with her dress flapping all over the place while she pulled moves. Maybe it will work with the art style the upcoming game is using. Bust Shiki in WR2 was a neat character as well, though between the censorship aspect of the seduction throw moves and the balance-killing aspect of reversing someone's controls, I'm not sure we will ever see the Bust version again.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Not sure anything in that link is crazy news. The next KOF is always under development. Rimururu is always in Samurai Shodown even though nobody wants here there. Shiki would be kind of news, I guess. The character didn't really work for me in NGBC, though... her 2D design and moveset were kind of pointless. The whole point of Shiki in Samurai 64 was to show off the 3D engine with her dress flapping all over the place while she pulled moves. Maybe it will work with the art style the upcoming game is using. Bust Shiki in WR2 was a neat character as well, though between the censorship aspect of the seduction throw moves and the balance-killing aspect of reversing someone's controls, I'm not sure we will ever see the Bust version again.

Agreed across the board

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
These are official announcements:

SS for all platforms in Q2 2019
KOF15 in 2020

Edit: removed Metal Slug, as the listing in the image might be referencing the current ports of the older games (along with the confusing image of kofxiv next to ps4 / switch / xbox / pc).

The SS and KOF15 info were specifically confirmed though.

Last edited:

Leback

Stakes Winner
It's going to be interesting to see which direction they are taking the next Kof regarding the graphics since it will be done in unreal. The new SS looks cool as hell.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
well the initial graphics look ok, but they might downgrade the content if they make the Switch version. and KOFXV on Switch would downgrade its graphics too.

are they seriously going to release the new Samurai Shodown as just "Samurai Shodown" / "Samurai Spirits"? that has lower marketing potency compared to a proper sequel number.

Samurai Shodown 7 would make it more enticing.

they should avoid doing the whole reboot or reimagining nonsense some devs do with titles. even Samurai Shodown V, which takes place before 1, has an actual number.

plus adding a number to the title would respect the original game and original devs that created the first SS game. the new SS's name should not overlap that.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
A new footage was shown during that meeting that had Charlot in it, but no recording was allowed. They also said the game is 95% complete.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
A new footage was shown during that meeting that had Charlot in it, but no recording was allowed. They also said the game is 95% complete.

Awesome. You always bring interesting news to the table so cheers for that

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Excited about this game,Hope for an arcade release!:)

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I didn't watch the trailer because I've been tired of being let down... I LOVED SS0 Special and thought everything after was shit.

My buddy forced me to watch it - have to say it looks FANTASTIC. Let's hope it plays well!

adaup1

n00b
I am beyond hyped by the news of a Switch release. I was genuinely considering buying a PS4 next year as they get less and less expensive as the console generation comes to a close, but a switch release makes me estatic. I was so bummed by the SNK Heroines reviews that I didn't buy it. To get the new Samurai Showdown, what appears to be a port of KOF14 and maybe even 15 would be insane.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
All good news. Finally some good things in the works for SNK. KoF 14 was great so I have high hopes.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
even Final Fantasy VII, which debuted in a new generation and at a time before RPG genre became mainstream, and before Final Fantasy became mainstream, added the VII instead of calling it just Final Fantasy.

I tell you, they are not optimizing brand strength in this new generation if they just title it Samurai Shodown / Samurai Spirits.

MK can get away with a plain MK title, but SS should get the number VII, plus 7 is considered lucky number to display in general.
plus it would help differentiate between the first SS and the latest SS. that would be messed up if people gotta refer to the new SS as "Samurai Shodown 2019".

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
even Final Fantasy VII, which debuted in a new generation and at a time before RPG genre became mainstream, and before Final Fantasy became mainstream, added the VII instead of calling it just Final Fantasy.

I tell you, they are not optimizing brand strength in this new generation if they just title it Samurai Shodown / Samurai Spirits.

MK can get away with a plain MK title, but SS should get the number VII, plus 7 is considered lucky number to display in general.
plus it would help differentiate between the first SS and the latest SS. that would be messed up if people gotta refer to the new SS as "Samurai Shodown 2019".

How insightful!

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I want to see some of this new footage, especially of Charlotte. If the game is as complete as they claim they need to show off some full matches. I'm sure they will be on-site when PAX East rolls around so at least I can play it there.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
in the meantime they should port and localize Samurai Shodown RPG.

SNK could then boast having the first fighting RPG based on the longest running weapons fighting series, thats available to play in english too.

Samurai Shodown RPG is top quality compared to all the shovelware indie rpgs being pouring into the markets these days. and with better scenario and gameplay than even modern AAA RPGs.

it is insane if after this resurgence of SNK brand, they still dont port and localize their Samurai Shodown RPG. it could start to reach cult status, or higher.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

nigga who made you marketing expert?