most recent Samurai Spirits came out in 2019 already.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm about as excited about this game as I was SNK Heroines. You really can't compare any of the Neo titles to those that came after them, remember SNK had their time and they didn't last.

2001 was a long time ago now and since it's been a cash grab other than maybe 13 if you have to choose a game that at least tried.

All good points here, post-SNK SNK would have to proof their credibility first to change our opinion of them being there only for the money. The 40th Anniversary Collection was a good start. Proposing just another Unreal Versus Fighter doesn't convince me, though. How about ASOIII? Or reclaiming the rights to develop another Viewpoint or Pulstar?

A non-danmaku STG is a niche genre but R-Type Final proved it can be done and can be done well. 2.5D with 60fps and the SNK touch? That would be proof enough for me, that they really mean it. Baseball Stars, 8Man, Ninja Commando, Cyber Lip, Top Hunter... etc. There's a plethora of niche genres that could be reinvented with sequels to those titles.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
All good points here, post-SNK SNK would have to proof their credibility first to change our opinion of them being there only for the money.
n-g.com PROTIP: Every video game publisher, be they Capcom, Konami, Namco, whoever, is only for the money. "Art" is an occasional happy byproduct. Their only real concern is money. Welcome to real life.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah, well... I meant only as in only, IIRC SNK was loosing more money producing NGH versions, than making it. Of course we're all in it for the money, one of the truest enlightenment ideals -- but I'd argue, that that's not the reason why we like each other, or dislike. There's a lot of space in between each Yuan/Dollar/Euro we make. It's that space that matters, how we use it. If you don't use it for anything other than making more money, then there's no reason for me to care, and so I won't. That's how I feel about this release. It just doesn't make a difference to what we're all in it for and I need that difference to be entertained.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Not me, you sellout.

I don't see money as the root of all evil, for me it's the equivalent of time and we all sell out our time one way or the other, if we want to or not. So, as much as I admire the romantic in you, your n-g.com PROTIP stands, no exceptions: Welcome to real life.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
So now we don't like KOF XIV? It's getting hard to keep track of the supposed consensus on these new fighters.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member

Edit: one more video + PC and Switch ports will be coming in Q4:

PS: the XB1 version is already mentioned to release along with the PS4 version in case you missed it in the trailer. It will be in June.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So now we don't like KOF XIV? It's getting hard to keep track of the supposed consensus on these new fighters.

Who cares about consensus, KOF XIV was a good time. It's the main reason I'm interested in this new SS.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
I like the style and the looks of the New Samurai Shodown.

From my point of view, its very similar to the impression caused by SFIV, and that´s a good thing.

I hope SNK delivers a good game and maybe we can have a new Fatal Fury...

Using Street Fighter as a comparative example to this scenario, the hand-drawn pixels from all three iterations of Street Fighter III were easily the visual highlight of that franchise. When Capcom went all 3-D polygon in the graphics department, I thought it was a terrible, terrible move. I felt the same way when SNK tried the same thing with the Samurai Shodown sub-series back in the day and SNK-Playmore with The King of Fighters series more recently. I also feel the same way with this. I guess I'm just too set in my 2-D ways. :(

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

Edit: one more video + PC and Switch ports will be coming in Q4:

PS: the XB1 version is already mentioned to release along with the PS4 version in case you missed it in the trailer. It will be in June.

Jesus fucking Christ that first trailer got me hyped, felt like a millennial all of a sudden. The music was on point, best music trailer and trailer production values in ages

Just watched some gameplay and it definetly looks like a samurai showdown/spirits game albeit slightly too bubblegummy for my taste, looks a little bit like something from Platinum Games. The thing I don't like about it as I have said before, are the backrounds. They where incredible during g the first few outtings, breathtaking for their time. Now they look shit. It's not a minor gripe, and I think it hurts it and the latest SF as well. Counterpoint would be the DBFz game that was released, they done good there.

I really, really like the music.
Game being released without complete roster is a sign of the times and it is shit. A game used to be be like a book, well rounded and complete. Now it's more akin to a notepad.

To earlier poster who spoke of going 3d as a bad idea, whilst I agree completely that SFIII is a work of art and that which followed was a bit strange, I didn't feel that SNK making their fighting games 3d during NG64 and psx days was a bad move at all. They just didn't pull it off well enough, not when you are taking highly stylised pixel art and turning it all into something that croakes and heaves. Talking about Wild Ambition too.

Last edited:

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Looking good but the gameplay looks like it is keeping the speed of play from 5 which is a bit slow. Hopefully it gets sped up a tad for the final release. I'll see what the team showing it at PAX have to say when I go on Thursday. The people playing in these videos are obviously not Sam Sho players so I'll try to record some footage of me playing against another Sam Sho vet to post in this thread.

EDIT: I was not expecting Yoshitora but seeing Shiki is nice.

Last edited:

neofonta

Zero's Secretary
I like the new reborn for the series, also 16 characters available on launch date is nice for me.
More will be released via DLC? Surely, but, who cares?

For sure I will get it for XBO.
Enguard!

Yoshi

20 Year Member
The game will have 16 characters on launch, 3 of which will be new original additions. More will come via DLC later.

Sorry, but it might be even 2020 for PC:

https://gematsu.com/2019/03/samurai...er-44-minutes-of-gameplay-and-staff-interview

"Samurai Shodown will launch worldwide for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in June, followed by Switch in Q4 2019 and PC at a later date"
Yeah, I saw that as well. I've learned to be patient. I waited through GTAV on PS3/360 and PS4/One without biting, and this can't be that long.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
match videos

its great it has bloodstains on clothes and skin, though only lasts for duration of the round (single round option can fix that).

shame no overkills. nice people can be cut in two and their remains stay there........ but then their remains fade...... which is totally not necessary having them fade, their body parts should stay there like they do during SSVS ground based finishers. if I recall, even Samurai Shodown 3 had body remains stay on the ground instead of disappear (though SS3 was a real pain to trigger a finisher triggered slash).

ah well there's more pros than cons. Cham Cham and Iroha should be added as playable DLC characters.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Looks verk good!I love the graphics style!Can’t wait!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Loving everything I'm seeing and hearing. I especially dig that they kept the old school damage scaling. When you get hit by a hard attack, you get HIT. That rage attack by Galford that nuked Genjuro at 75%....just wow.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
looks cool, its not a day 1 by for me. Definitely a $20-30 pick up but still stoked its coming out. I wonder how readily available it will be. I found kof 14 very difficult to find about a year after release. I eventually found one eb games that had it but there was ziltch for local sales anywhere in Canada.

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Looks (and sounds) better than I hoped. Definitely keeping an eye on this one.