Mortal Monday

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Interesting read thanks.

Especially the bit about how the guys in Utah were essentially witch hunted!

Shame you dont get that kind of atmosphere with games anymore.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I like how the guy who ported it to the megadrive had to have a hacked coin op to get to the reptile fight because he sucked at the game :)

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Even with all the new AAA games releasing over the past 25 years, I still can't remember a bigger more hyped hyped release than the MK home ports.

Though at the time I was just 13 so it may be rose colored glasses.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
even though the SNES was the better playing and looking game of the two versions. If you wanted the gore, then you bought the Sega version. If you wanted the better playing and looking game, you bought the SNES.
I felt like when I owned both versions of the game, I believed the Genesis version played better than the SNES version. Then when it came to MKII I thought the SNES version played better.

Anyway, living in Chicago, this is kind of cool. Happy Mortal Monday Manman!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, you're right about the Genesis version. It looked like ass compared to the SNES one but it played much better. The SNES one was very stiff by comparison. The Genesis/SNES ports of MK2 were a lot closer.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I felt like when I owned both versions of the game, I believed the Genesis version played better than the SNES version. Then when it came to MKII I thought the SNES version played better.

Anyway, living in Chicago, this is kind of cool. Happy Mortal Monday Manman!

Funny really as I am a SEGA fan boy but preferred the SNES version in terms of play-ability.
But I played the MD version more because of the Blood :p

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
An argument could be made that the gameplay of the game wasn't great anyway so it didn't really matter if a port was accurate or not.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
It's just another mortal monday.
wish it was sunday.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'll never forget Mortal Monday. It was so much fun. And the lines were long as hell. But getting home and playing with a bunch of friends cemented the day in my memory

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
This is still probably the #1 most hyped video game event for me with the 2nd being the Dreamcast launch.

When it comes to the ports, the Genny versions were tolerable. The MK1 port plays alright but was hyped mainly just for the violence. The SNES version had better graphics, sound and played better to the arcade release. The Genny version played a bit too fast when it came to jumps.

In MK2's case, the SNES version shit all over it. The Genesis version of MK2 compared to the SNES version made me instantly sell my Genesis copy friend the day after and pick up the SNES version. My mom just so happened to catch Kaybee opening their shipment a few days before the MK2 release date and she grabbed it for Genesis, so I was all the rage in middle school for 2 days.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i haven't played all the ports, but fans swear by the snes port of mk2. i my self always picked the snes ports for anything past mk1.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i was so sad when i found out that the saturn version of MKII was garbage

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i was so sad when i found out that the saturn version of MKII was garbage

never played the saturn and ps1 ports of mk2, but according to the fans of the series, the snes port is the way to go.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Yes, I really like the SNES version, but I also like the arcade version so its lame that they couldn't make the game work on the Saturn. I have UMK3 too on Saturn, does anyone know anything about that? Haven't played it much because Mortal Kombat sucks

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Even as a SNES fanboy, I gotta say the 32x MKII is da best. But for SNES vs Genesis, SNES by far for me.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
MK Trilogy is a cool novelty party game but its still a bad fighting game. Every time I try to play MK these days when im not on a speed binge, i get bored in like 5 minutes

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
midway official xbox original conversions, or ps2 even.
not against mega drive or snes versions, just going with my heart... :D