Edible weed

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I don't want this to get too druuuugs brah, but I was wondering if there were any knowledgeable folk out there who could give me some advice.

I smoked weed for many years but gave up a long time ago. Since then I've given up smoking cigarettes too.

I drink too much. Lonesage's question on replacing booze with benzos got me thinking, as bad an idea as that is, could weed be a viable alternative?

I have no interest in smoking anything again, if I were to buy some THC infused gummy bears and scoff a couple of those a night am I taking a step into lowering my booze habit or a step into adding a drug back in the mix that I kicked to the kerb a long time ago?

Pre-emptive - Simple Troll: I don't give a fuck what your thoughts on this are.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
You can easily control your intake with edibles. As long as you don't get totally bombed every day it's probably a lot better idea than continuing to get drunk. And if you overdo it you're just going to fall asleep and be pretty tired the next day rather than the full on booze hangover.

StevenK

10 Year Member
You can easily control your intake with edibles. As long as you don't get totally bombed every day it's probably a lot better idea than continuing to get drunk. And if you overdo it you're just going to fall asleep and be pretty tired the next day rather than the full on booze hangover.

Nah it would be an evening/night thing, certainly never in the day.

I've never heard of someone doing this though, using weed to reduce drinking, is it because it just doesn't work?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I quit cold turkey 8 days ago and just run 6km a day so I get tired and go to sleep more easily at night.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Or maybe you can find happiness in life and not have to get drunk or high every night?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I guess we'll find out. I don't feel like drinking yet as long as I keep myself busy doing something. I found some part-time jobs on the weekend that helps solve that 9AM 'bored so I guess I'll drink' problem.

On the plus side I feel happy again and smiled. It's crazy how much of a mood difference no beer and strenuous exercise can make. Plus my face is losing that puffy, alcoholic face look. Good luck to you.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Who the hell drinks at 9AM?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Also I mean I'm not quitting beer forever and going thru a program or anything. I just thought a few days before school started that this isn't the best for my health, so I should quit for a bit. I've been drinking roughly 3 liters of beer a night for four years now, daily. The key is moderation. Quitting all together isn't something I have in mind - instead, moderation is the key. I don't feel tempted to drink because I'm just telling myself beer never had that control over me like most alcoholics, it was just something to wind down the day with and help with sleep.

I've read quitting cold turkey isn't the best, but since I only drink beer and not hard liquor maybe that's why I haven't had the shakes or whatever else happens when detoxing.

After I made that thread about sleeping pills I looked into it some more and found out sleeping pills are probably worse than drinking beer every night, maybe. I'm lucky to not be addicted to anything, and in the same way it is a fear of mine that I could get addicted to something and lose myself. I remember being in high school and reading Brave New World, thinking what it would be like if the soma drug was real - a testament to my naivete, because apparently it is real!

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
If you need something to self-medicate, weed is certainly better for your long-term health than alcohol.

Only issue with edibles is that there's no set recipe or dosage and the high is way different. I've had gummies where I was pretty mellow and I've had the same gummy from the same manufacturer and traveled thru time and space for six hours. I guess what I'm saying is talk to "the guy" before you buy any so you know what you're getting into.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Wondering exactly what your "booze habit" consisted of exactly? No matter the dosage, edibles will fuck you right up after years without any THC. Once you get through the initial phase of getting back into it, you might have success depending on what you're expecting.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
I recommend doing something physical, like LS said. Weightlifting, running...something. Get some of that natural endorphins, sleep better, and have more energy throughout the day.

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
If it’s a true alcohol addiction, replacing it with cannabis probably won’t work because your body is dependent on the booze. I’m talking if it’s half a bottle of vodka or more a night sorta levels of drinking. If that’s you, talk to your GP.

If it’s something to do in evening because you are bored, then yeah sure cannabis edibles are a viable alternative. It can take an hour or longer for the effects to kick in, so I like a whiskey or a beer to tide me over till the bomb drops.

It’s tempting to eat another weed cookie or brownie as you think the first one hasn’t done anything. That can be a mistake, but as fanny said you’ll probably just fall asleep- no harm done.

Here is an old, but decent video on weed cooking. Basically you want to buy lots of weed, and make cannabis oil and/butter. You can then use that to make nearly any recipe you can think of.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I don't want this to get too druuuugs brah, but I was wondering if there were any knowledgeable folk out there who could give me some advice.

I smoked weed for many years but gave up a long time ago. Since then I've given up smoking cigarettes too.

I drink too much. Lonesage's question on replacing booze with benzos got me thinking, as bad an idea as that is, could weed be a viable alternative?

I have no interest in smoking anything again, if I were to buy some THC infused gummy bears and scoff a couple of those a night am I taking a step into lowering my booze habit or a step into adding a drug back in the mix that I kicked to the kerb a long time ago?

Pre-emptive - Simple Troll: I don't give a fuck what your thoughts on this are.

If you don't want to smoke you cold trying using a vaporizer, which isn't nearly as bad for your lungs. They work better with hash though.
Edibles are kinda hard to measure.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yea but he's a Aussie. That shits breakfast for them.

"Beer is a meal" - Someone

Time is irrelevant when it comes to what to consume and beer is not exempt from that rule. That said I don't really like day drinking because when I drink I'm officially done with eating. Drinking during the day at say a brunch or lunch and then stopping just leaves you tired and at that point the practicality of the day is over. For me if drinking is starting in the morning or midday then I'm drinking until I go to bed so when I do choose to drink it's from about 8pm onwards which seems to be best practice.

I've reduced my drinking to the weekends nowadays as the everyday habit is hard in the morning and overall your work performance and fitness goals go to shit. Besides I truly look forward to a beer on friday evening, it's much more special now.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Or maybe you can find happiness in life and not have to get drunk or high every night?

Oddly enough I don't feel unhappy. I had a brief period of depression in my late teens but that cleared up quickly and I've been happy ever since. I wonder whether a psychologist or someone might try to tell me different, who knows, maybe they'd be right, but I feel good 99% of the time. I've asked myself on many occasions why I drink too much and I can't find an answer other than I like it, and always have. It's more of a habit than an addiction, if there's a difference. I haven't gone an evening without drinking for well over a decade but I've been what most people would consider "drunk" perhaps once in the last year?

Also I mean I'm not quitting beer forever and going thru a program or anything. I just thought a few days before school started that this isn't the best for my health, so I should quit for a bit. I've been drinking roughly 3 liters of beer a night for four years now, daily. The key is moderation. Quitting all together isn't something I have in mind - instead, moderation is the key. I don't feel tempted to drink because I'm just telling myself beer never had that control over me like most alcoholics, it was just something to wind down the day with and help with sleep.

I've read quitting cold turkey isn't the best, but since I only drink beer and not hard liquor maybe that's why I haven't had the shakes or whatever else happens when detoxing.

I drink about the same - it seems to be perfectly sustainable and I have strict rules around when I can drink that I never break. It does sometimes make me seem like the bore in the group if I go to something that involves day drinking with friends and I just say no thanks. Bit of a paradox. The only reason I ask is I know that internally I must be doing some damage, I don't particularly want to die from liver disease in my 50s.

Simple Troll: I don't give a fuck what your thoughts on this are.

Wondering exactly what your "booze habit" consisted of exactly? No matter the dosage, edibles will fuck you right up after years without any THC. Once you get through the initial phase of getting back into it, you might have success depending on what you're expecting.

Don't really know what I'm expecting, just an evening diversion really?

I recommend doing something physical, like LS said. Weightlifting, running...something. Get some of that natural endorphins, sleep better, and have more energy throughout the day.

I do a fair bit of sport, play for a club once a week and train another day. I can't lift weights anymore due to an endless shoulder injury.

Oh, and after training and games we all go to the pub.....

If it’s a true alcohol addiction, replacing it with cannabis probably won’t work because your body is dependent on the booze. I’m talking if it’s half a bottle of vodka or more a night sorta levels of drinking. If that’s you, talk to your GP.

If it’s something to do in evening because you are bored, then yeah sure cannabis edibles are a viable alternative. It can take an hour or longer for the effects to kick in, so I like a whiskey or a beer to tide me over till the bomb drops.

It’s tempting to eat another weed cookie or brownie as you think the first one hasn’t done anything. That can be a mistake, but as fanny said you’ll probably just fall asleep- no harm done.

Here is an old, but decent video on weed cooking. Basically you want to buy lots of weed, and make cannabis oil and/butter. You can then use that to make nearly any recipe you can think of.

Nah it's not a physical addiction, though it perhaps was at one point a while ago.

Cooking it up myself is a no go - I've got kids and this isn't something I want to be a part of their lives. Should I be doing it at all in the first place then you might ask - answer is I don't know, maybe not.

Not sure drinking whisky while I wait for the weed to kick in is the best advice in this thread but I appreciate the sentiment lol

If you don't want to smoke you cold trying using a vaporizer, which isn't nearly as bad for your lungs. They work better with hash though.
Edibles are kinda hard to measure.

I have looked into this, I do prefer the idea of being able to get the instant hit and also know when to back off. My concern is the smell, with neighbours etc. Think I'd get away with it?

"Beer is a meal" - Someone

Time is irrelevant when it comes to what to consume and beer is not exempt from that rule. That said I don't really like day drinking because when I drink I'm officially done with eating. Drinking during the day at say a brunch or lunch and then stopping just leaves you tired and at that point the practicality of the day is over. For me if drinking is starting in the morning or midday then I'm drinking until I go to bed so when I do choose to drink it's from about 8pm onwards which seems to be best practice.

I've reduced my drinking to the weekends nowadays as the everyday habit is hard in the morning and overall your work performance and fitness goals go to shit. Besides I truly look forward to a beer on friday evening, it's much more special now.

I'd probably like to do this, to turn it back into a weekend pleasure. I've convinced myself I won't be able to do it though. Maybe I'll have a stab at it, I convinced myself I wouldn't be able to quit smoking too and turns out I could so who knows.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
From what I remember, vaped weed doesn't smell nearly as strong as smoked one.
Also don't mix your weed with tobacco if smoking, that's fagit shit.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'd probably like to do this, to turn it back into a weekend pleasure. I've convinced myself I won't be able to do it though. Maybe I'll have a stab at it, I convinced myself I wouldn't be able to quit smoking too and turns out I could so who knows.

Don't set any strict rules on it but giving it a go and failing is still trying. I've quit smoking and everyday drinking more times than I can count.

I find setting impossible targets just blow up in your face and leave you wondering why you even bothered so it's important to allow for failure as it will likely occur.