In The Hunt and Metal Slug connection.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Interesting thought...
It’s no secret that the folks that made In The Hunt went on to make Metal Slug. But did you ever consider the 2 Games to be part of the same universe? I’ve been playing Slug a lot this past week and I have been taking in all of the pixel work and noticing things I never thought of before. In the very beginning of stage one there is wreckage of a submarine called ‘Middleson’ on dry land, and this would only make sense if there was water in this area before. If you look into the story of In The Hunt you will take note that the antagonists of the story have melted the polar ice caps and flooded the world. Is it possible that Metal Slug takes place long after the events of ITH and the world is slowly returning to normal? Other hints of a flooded world are the shops under the bridge of the second stage. Some of the enemy subs in ITH also slightly resemble the Middleson. I know it’s a bit far fetched, but it could at the least be a homage.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Interesting thought...
It’s no secret that the folks that made In The Hunt went on to make Metal Slug. But did you ever consider the 2 Games to be part of the same universe? I’ve been playing Slug a lot this past week and I have been taking in all of the pixel work and noticing things I never thought of before. In the very beginning of stage one there is wreckage of a submarine called ‘Middleson’ on dry land, and this would only make sense if there was water in this area before. If you look into the story of In The Hunt you will take note that the antagonists of the story have melted the polar ice caps and flooded the world. Is it possible that Metal Slug takes place long after the events of ITH and the world is slowly returning to normal? Other hints of a flooded world are the shops under the bridge of the second stage. Some of the enemy subs in ITH also slightly resemble the Middleson. I know it’s a bit far fetched, but it could at the least be a homage.
It's probably irrelevant as to whether the games are actually supposed to be set in the same universe. You might as well consider that they are, if they are made by the same people. The two games are cut from the same cloth.
Shock Troopers had games like Mercs that influenced it.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Same developers, different worlds, nuff said.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I agree with LoneSage, similar themes just don't add up automatically to the same universe. It's an interesting, if not far fetched, thought but it offers not enough to go further. I could also suggest, that the NAZCA/IREM developers took their slugs from Ikari Warriors and one of them, a submarine, did make a gaiden. It still doesn't mean a thing.