Xeno Crisis coming to Neo Geo

That sounds like a pretty valid reason for a delay... hope Matt’s fully recovered and feeling fine. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Cheers, yes he's over the worst of it now and is back in the office 9 to 5 - he has the occasional relapse, but he's coding again and doing fine. He actually injured his head as we were attempting to move his Frogger cocktail cabinet from his house to our office - he'd dropped something on his foot a little earlier and wanted to put a plaster on his toe to stop the bleeding, so got some plasters out of the office cupboard and sat down to put one on, but then stood up not realising the cupboard door had swung back open, catching the top of his head on the corner of the cabinet door which is extremely solid and sharp.

I was waiting outside for a good 10 minutes wondering what was going on and then heard Matt at the bottom of the stairs calling me - had to rush him to A&E where he had a scan. Luckily it was just severe concussion but it's taken several months to get back to near-normal - at first his speech was slurred and he needed to sleep during the day, which was quite worrying. Anyway, things are looking much better now - makes you realise that your circumstances can change very quickly when you least expect it!

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Cheers, yes he's over the worst of it now and is back in the office 9 to 5 - he has the occasional relapse, but he's coding again and doing fine. He actually injured his head as we were attempting to move his Frogger cocktail cabinet from his house to our office - he'd dropped something on his foot a little earlier and wanted to put a plaster on his toe to stop the bleeding, so got some plasters out of the office cupboard and sat down to put one on, but then stood up not realising the cupboard door had swung back open, catching the top of his head on the corner of the cabinet door which is extremely solid and sharp.

I was waiting outside for a good 10 minutes wondering what was going on and then heard Matt at the bottom of the stairs calling me - had to rush him to A&E where he had a scan. Luckily it was just severe concussion but it's taken several months to get back to near-normal - at first his speech was slurred and he needed to sleep during the day, which was quite worrying. Anyway, things are looking much better now - makes you realise that your circumstances can change very quickly when you least expect it!

Wow, that's really unlucky =( I hope Matt continues to recover OK! I've had a few concussions before but nothing that bad.

Missile

Another Striker
My best wishes to Matt too. Head injuries can be terrible :/

BitmapBureau - Will you confirm if the Neo Geo version will have a twin stick control option?

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist

BitmapBureau - Will you confirm if the Neo Geo version will have a twin stick control option?

It won't. Read the comments.

Thanks, he does drop in here occasionally to read the comments but I'll pass on your wishes anyway. :) Weirdly enough I was involved in a head clash playing football this evening and now have a massive lump on my forehead - luckily that part of your skull is a lot more durable than the top where Matt sustained his injury! Luckily it was skull vs skull rather than skull vs the corner of an Ikea cabinet door.

Regarding twin-sticks, Xeno Crisis plays quite differently to Smash TV where your only actions were running and shooting - mastering the roll and throw grenade actions are absolutely crucial to completing the game, so using Smash TV's twin-stick setup just isn't feasible unfortunately. The one exception is the Dreamcast's twin-stick controller (HKT-7500) which have fire buttons on the sticks, making it possible to use the roll and grenade functions.

If you've played Shock Troopers then that should give you a good idea of what to expect - I'm really happy with the controls, and since the game has been designed for a 3 button setup from the start, rather than a twin-stick setup which has then been compromised to work with a 3 or 4 button controller, it works much more nicely than say Super Smash TV on the Mega Drive, in my opinion. We still need to decide what the 4th button should do on the Neo Geo version - currently you auto-melee on the other versions, but it might be nice if the melee action was assigned to its own button on the Neo. Alternatively we could assign the "discard weapon" function, but it's pretty rare that you'll want to do that. I'll test out the melee action on button D first and see how that feels. Anyway, let me know if you have any more questions. :)

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
I'm still on the fence on ordering it for Neo. Prob stay with the genesis cart...

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
You guys can shit on it all you want but it looks fucking moronic to have 1 game just be the wrong standard. Especially when its appealing to such a niche market. You need to pander to your demographic or not aim for it at all.

What standard? Even official US released stuff didn’t have a “standard”. Dog tags spines, Neo Geo logo “Euro style” spines, early stuff that was converted from Japanese style boxes (Cyber-Lip, Magician Lord). Oh no, you’ll have a box that doesn’t match the rest of your boxes that don’t match.

Yart

n00b
Regarding twin-sticks, Xeno Crisis plays quite differently to Smash TV where your only actions were running and shooting - mastering the roll and throw grenade actions are absolutely crucial to completing the game, so using Smash TV's twin-stick setup just isn't feasible unfortunately. The one exception is the Dreamcast's twin-stick controller (HKT-7500) which have fire buttons on the sticks, making it possible to use the roll and grenade functions.

Hey, I just wanted to give a suggestion to fuel the desire for twin sticks.

If the game is going to be on the Neo Geo MVS, it's typically going to be placed in an arcade cabinet right? Non JAMMA arcade games exist that have weird and non-standard controls. What if you added an option for those who want to make a custom cabinet, so they can wire the four buttons to the four directions of the second stick? The setting could be in the MVS Soft-Dip menu. It doesn't resolve the grenade throwing since the four buttons are used up, but the NG also had Mahjong games that used way more than 4 buttons too.

https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Mahjong_controller

You should be able to get at least one more button on top of the stick for grenade for both players. Multiplex the Start button if you're afraid of potential ghosting during the heat of the action since it's a button that's not used up at all during gameplay. (Or just share Start with Grenade without multiplexing if you want to consider emulator users) Hell, since it's doable from the controller port (which the two slotter MVS has), you could even allow people to make custom controllers for the AES version too! (Just throw the option in the options menu)

I mean, even Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar had a secret Rotary Controller mode if you hacked a dial onto your controller...

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hey, I just wanted to give a suggestion to fuel the desire for twin sticks.

If the game is going to be on the Neo Geo MVS, it's typically going to be placed in an arcade cabinet right? Non JAMMA arcade games exist that have weird and non-standard controls. What if you added an option for those who want to make a custom cabinet, so they can wire the four buttons to the four directions of the second stick? The setting could be in the MVS Soft-Dip menu. It doesn't resolve the grenade throwing since the four buttons are used up, but the NG also had Mahjong games that used way more than 4 buttons too.

https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Mahjong_controller

You should be able to get at least one more button on top of the stick for grenade for both players. Multiplex the Start button if you're afraid of potential ghosting during the heat of the action since it's a button that's not used up at all during gameplay. (Or just share Start with Grenade without multiplexing if you want to consider emulator users) Hell, since it's doable from the controller port (which the two slotter MVS has), you could even allow people to make custom controllers for the AES version too! (Just throw the option in the options menu)

I mean, even Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar had a secret Rotary Controller mode if you hacked a dial onto your controller...

Anyone else read this and say, "Jesus fuckin christ..."

This is your customer base, bitmapbureau.

All the questions are about cover art or some stupid shit like people making custom twin sticks for the Neo (????).

At this point, honestly, fuck it. Charge a few more hundred and these retards will still buy it. Ignore their requests and do as you will.

Last edited:

Missile

Another Striker
I get why people care a lot about the cover design. When you are paying £200+ for a cart, you want everything to be in order. I now like the idea of a standardised AES logo for non-official releases.

Thanks, he does drop in here occasionally to read the comments but I'll pass on your wishes anyway. :) Weirdly enough I was involved in a head clash playing football this evening and now have a massive lump on my forehead - luckily that part of your skull is a lot more durable than the top where Matt sustained his injury! Luckily it was skull vs skull rather than skull vs the corner of an Ikea cabinet door.

If you've played Shock Troopers then that should give you a good idea of what to expect - I'm really happy with the controls, and since the game has been designed for a 3 button setup from the start, rather than a twin-stick setup which has then been compromised to work with a 3 or 4 button controller, it works much more nicely than say Super Smash TV on the Mega Drive, in my opinion. We still need to decide what the 4th button should do on the Neo Geo version - currently you auto-melee on the other versions, but it might be nice if the melee action was assigned to its own button on the Neo. Alternatively we could assign the "discard weapon" function, but it's pretty rare that you'll want to do that. I'll test out the melee action on button D first and see how that feels. Anyway, let me know if you have any more questions. :)

Thanks for the reply. Your injury isn't as cool though because it wasn't gaming related :)

Without playing the game, its hard to say what the 4th button would be best used for. So I'll leave that up to you guys. It's always good to have extra options though. Anyone else have any ideas?

I've ordered an AES cart now. Big fan of Robotron/Smash TV so looking forward to this

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I say screw spending extra time on box art and twin sticks - focus on the game! No one will ever be happy with twin stick support and a fancy box when the game feels rushed. Not all of us care about box art either - I bought the MVS version when I could have opted for the AES version.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Most definitely. Just concentrate on bringing the very best experience you can to the console and ignore all these idiots with their ‘helpful suggestions’...

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I wish Metal Slug had twin stick compatibility - that’s my number 1 complaint of the series

Yart

n00b
Well, yea, don't rush the game. But what's wrong with options? I'm a bit surprised at the backlash of the idea of trying something new (and it's not like I was saying replace the current scheme with it or anything). I'm probably gonna enjoy the game regardless.

Thanks to Christmas spending, I'll have to pass on the pre-order, but I'll grab a standard MVS cart down the road.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Well, yea, don't rush the game. But what's wrong with options? I'm a bit surprised at the backlash of the idea of trying something new (and it's not like I was saying replace the current scheme with it or anything). I'm probably gonna enjoy the game regardless.

Thanks to Christmas spending, I'll have to pass on the pre-order, but I'll grab a standard MVS cart down the road.

No one cares what you think 0.5 post a year member.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Does anyone remember when none of us had a fucking opportunity to talk to a developer about an upcoming game? that was a good time.