Xeno Crisis coming to Neo Geo

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Thank you, wow I didn't realise it was that long ago. People are being unusually understanding about the delay here!

The delay sucks, but it was to be expected with a new dev coming to the scene. As long as they eventually ship my game I'm good.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm amazed I missed this thread for this long. I'll check out the switch version first and, if I absolutely love it, I'll pick up an AES copy with the vinyl. Any particular issues with the switch version since it's joysticks tend to be finicky?

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
So is there any footage of the Neo version of xeno crisis yet?

Nope-I'm holding off until something, anything is shown to put down my pre-order. I'm curious - anyone here play the Dreamcast version yet? Is it any different than the Mega Drive release?

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Nope-I'm holding off until something, anything is shown to put down my pre-order. I'm curious - anyone here play the Dreamcast version yet? Is it any different than the Mega Drive release?

I have literally just played the DC version.
Never played the MD version though so no idea how it compares to it.

But it plays ok on the DC, Would be better with the dual stick controller!

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Just watched a video on the MD version.

As far as I can tell the DC version has better character sprites and better audio (no shockers there) and the addition of voiced cut scenes.

Otherwise I cant tell any difference without actually playing the MD version.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I find the best way to play the game is on my psp under the picodrive emulator, you can configure the buttons on the psp to play like smash tv on the snes and use the shoulder buttons for grenades and roll.
I'm useless trying to play the cart on my MD, don't like the layout at all.
I've also ordered it for the AES, although the lack of any footage is annoying.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
It's a difficult game for sure, but it's a lot of fun. I love the music and smooth gameplay, if a bit hectic

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
This game looks meant for dual sticks. Need to see videos of how it plays and controls.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I finished this on Genesis (with the cheat to allow continue for the final boss) and trying to 1cc this game. I doubt I will ever be able to but I cannot imagine playing this without dual stick. I suppose you can change up but there are too many instances in the later stages where enemies will just spawn right where you are and not being able to change aim instantaneously would make this nigh impossible. But I am sure someone will show me how he/she can do this, with just their toes.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I finished this on Genesis (with the cheat to allow continue for the final boss) and trying to 1cc this game. I doubt I will ever be able to but I cannot imagine playing this without dual stick. I suppose you can change up but there are too many instances in the later stages where enemies will just spawn right where you are and not being able to change aim instantaneously would make this nigh impossible. But I am sure someone will show me how he/she can do this, with just their toes.

How does it play on a MD? I assume you need a 6 button controller?

I found the controls ok on the DC, The face buttons were your shoot/aim which is fine as they are diamond shaped and the stick obv moved you around.
Then grenades and roll on triggers.

But I imagine playing on a MD would be confusing?

Its defo a dual stick game at its core but it plays fine with a DC controller.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
How does it play on a MD? I assume you need a 6 button controller?

I found the controls ok on the DC, The face buttons were your shoot/aim which is fine as they are diamond shaped and the stick obv moved you around.
Then grenades and roll on triggers.

But I imagine playing on a MD would be confusing?

Its defo a dual stick game at its core but it plays fine with a DC controller.

The Genesis version is really amazing. It is probably one of the best looking Genesis games, and control is what you would expect from a Smash TV clone. I am playing with a wireless (2.4) 6button pad and it works fairly well. There was an adjustment for the roll/bomb button.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Maybe i’ll order the NEO•GEO CD version since it seems to be the cheapest option...

Ordering an AES cart of a game with no gameplay footage is kind of not a good idea IMO...

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I can reliably make it to level 4 but then my continues go to hell. Usually play as the girl for her speed.

On the switch version, a melee attack is mapped to a different button, which feels weird. I always think it's like metal slug where it's an automatic substitute for firing if the enemy is close, but nope.

I want to preorder the AES version, just waiting on gameplay video beforehand.

Maybe i’ll order the NEO•GEO CD version since it seems to be the cheapest option...

Ordering an AES cart of a game with no gameplay footage is kind of not a good idea IMO...

For what it's worth, the developer told me that they plan to keep the game stocked for a little while - it won't be a situation where you're just SOL if you don't preorder. So, there should be time to see if the Neo version is actually worth it before plunking down the cash.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
For what it's worth, the developer told me that they plan to keep the game stocked for a little while - it won't be a situation where you're just SOL if you don't preorder. So, there should be time to see if the Neo version is actually worth it before plunking down the cash.

Good to hear! I'm very interested, but I want to make sure it's worth it.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I bought and love the Genesis version, but I’m very curious how the DC one plays with the twin sticks.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Ah thanks. I was specifically wondering about the Virtual On twin stick controller. I have one and was wondering if double dipping would be worth it.
Ah, just read that one. I've been using twin sticks on the switch and it feels perfect for that, not sure with the twin stick DC action yet

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
But... but... but... Neo Geo homebrew development is financed using preorder funds.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Ah thanks. I was specifically wondering about the Virtual On twin stick controller. I have one and was wondering if double dipping would be worth it.

My VOOT sticks are ready! I haven't ordered the game yet though.