Xeno Crisis coming to Neo Geo

Missile

Another Striker
Sounds like the Neo Geo version will be a while if they have just got the megadrive code working on it. They've got to spend time enhancing and adding enemies and whatever else they need to add, and then there's all the testing.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
The Switch version is now out on eShop for those interested.

Just started playing it and am really enjoying it so far, the sound track is fantastic and the game plays really well with the twin stick configuration on Switch.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Well, guess I'll purchase that. Wanted the neo copy, but this is far more simple.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
So, has the MD version been shipped yet?
Curious to see when the NG version will see the light nof day. My prediction is Winter 2020.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Bitmap Bureau said:
Dreamcast / Neo Geo

We’ve not forgotten the Dreamcast and Neo Geo versions - we’re really excited to start full-on development for these once the bulk of the MD orders have shipped later this week. We’ll be back soon with a more normal development update for everyone.

Source

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
So, has the MD version been shipped yet?
Curious to see when the NG version will see the light nof day. My prediction is Winter 2020.

The MD ROM is available to those that pre-ordered. Physical MD version is shipping now.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Gonna have to get this on the Everdrive while I wait for the MVS version.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I’m hearing good things about this one. Probably going to buy on Xbox while I wait for the Neo version to come out.

I am hearing good things about this game too, will probably grab the collectors edition for AES before end of January. Wish they released it for Vita too, so I could play on the go, man.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Purchased the rom version, it's ok but I guess I was expecting more. The gameplay is OK, there are some questionables gameplay decisions (limited ammo, etc) and I was expecting a bit more actual randomness from the whole 'every level is Random!' aspect.

The presentation is stellar, the graphics are incredibly badass and so is the soundtrack.

Also Unlike most homebrew games, this feels complete enough to be a real retail release. It's very well crafted. Props to the crew

I'm glad I got the rom version instead of the MVS version, It will be enough.

There's nothing wrong with the game, don't get me wrong.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Quote Originally Posted by Bitmap Bureau
Dreamcast / Neo Geo

We’ve not forgotten the Dreamcast...

A DC version would be ace... if in true 480 hi-res, with every line drawn individually. Of course, I'm just daydreaming.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
good god this game is hard - it works well with the sega 6-button controller so you can emulate the twin-stick aspect of it...this would be painfully difficult using the neo stick.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
good god this game is hard - it works well with the sega 6-button controller so you can emulate the twin-stick aspect of it...this would be painfully difficult using the neo stick.

Yeah seriously, farthest I've gotten is stage 3 on hard and stage 4 on easy - starting to get the hang of it, but it's definitely a difficult game.

Yart

n00b
I mean, I did suggest using multiplexing a few pages back that would allow twin-stick support for each player. I got slapped in the face for it though. lol

I got my MD ROM. Game kicks ass, more specifically my ass. I can't imagine moving from 6 buttons for 8 directional aiming to the Neo stick. I'm glad I went with the MD version if the Neo version is going to stay within' the four button limit.

Missile

Another Striker
I mean, I did suggest using multiplexing a few pages back that would allow twin-stick support for each player. I got slapped in the face for it though. lol

I got my MD ROM. Game kicks ass, more specifically my ass. I can't imagine moving from 6 buttons for 8 directional aiming to the Neo stick. I'm glad I went with the MD version if the Neo version is going to stay within' the four button limit.

Yes I thought twin stick support with 2 controllers would be a nice extra. You couldn't really make it the default mode tho.

I still think 8-directional aiming on the NG's 4 button is do-able just like SNES Smash TV. It will just take a while to get used to. It might even work out better with a finger for each button

it290

Not so MEGA, eh?
After playing this game a fair bit on both the Mega Drive and the Switch, I'm more excited than ever for the Neo port and would even buy it as the definitive 68000 version assuming all the sound samples, etc. are included, but I'm also concerend about how the controls are going to work. The level design of the game basically necessitates four buttons in a cross shape plus two shoulder buttons; I think the ideal configuration might be two joysticks with attached buttons/triggers. The former is achievable on the MD using a pad like the 8bitdo M30 or the Asciipad SG-6, but I can't really imagine how the 6-button scheme will work on the Neo. Two sticks won't really cut it as you still need two additional buttons for the mandatory roll and grenade functions.

The MD 3-button mode is indeed playable—more playable than MD Smash TV for example—but the gameplay isn't really optimized for it, certainly not in the way that Shock Troopers is, and you're confined to a single screen at all times so you don't have the option of scrolling to evade either.

That means that Bitmap Bureau can either:
a. Leave the gameplay intact and force the player to use the 3-button style control scheme (not ideal)
b. Leave the gameplay intact and figure out some sort of hardware solution that allows the game to be played using the 6-button scheme (ideal from a gameplay perspective, but probably requires custom hardware)
c. Alter the gameplay so that it's more suited to the 3-button scheme (maybe a good middle ground, but probably dilutes the fun factor of the game)

Bitmaps—if you're reading this, can you reveal any more info about the controls (and also how much of the modern platform's sound will be included)? As I mentioned, I'm seriously considering the MVS version, but controls are probably the most important factor for me and I'd like to know what to expect before a purchase.

Yart

n00b
I suggested multiplexing a few pages back but some trolls buried it under stupid pointless posts.

The Neo Geo can use multiplexing to add inputs. This was done with the Mahjongg games.
https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Mahjong_controller

You can't hold down two buttons using the same line at the same time, so what you could do is use buttons A/B/C/D for the four directions, then multiplex two more buttons on the Start button. One for throwing grenades, and one for rolling. You can't throw a grenade or shoot while rolling at the same time so it would work out.

I had suggested making it a separate option in the arcade operator options for those who want to make a custom cabinet to implement these controls, or for people who want to build their own twin sticks for their AESes just for this game as an added bonus (maybe have it in the options menu for the home console owners).

Options are always nice. It's definitely a viable way to pull it off, even if it means going an extra (big) step for the Neo owner. But I mean Neo Geo owners already spend hundreds of dollars on a single game anyways, so what's the fuss with spending a bit more on a custom controller? :P

EDIT: Sorry for the bit of redundancy. I was on a hurry on the way out the door and didn't read the previous post clearly where it mentioned the hardware option.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You'll have to use a Neo pad or other pad with an adapter for this game instead of a joystick. The start and select buttons could be used for functions, but it's going to be awkward.