Xeno Crisis coming to Neo Geo

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Here's some very cool and surprising news.

I did a quick search and didn't find this posted even though Razoola and Jeff certainly already knew about it.

I'm pretty sure I'll be willing to double down and get this for the Genesis and Neo Geo; assuming it will be available for MVS.

---

Mega Shock

What about retro platforms we hear you cry? What was under that Xeno Crisis t-shirt in May’s update? Well we’re super excited to say we’ll be bringing Xeno Crisis to Neo Geo.

The Neo Geo is no easy undertaking, but after having our arm twisted by HPMAN ;-) and after an initial test porting of Xeno Crisis (largely to check procedural level generation) back in May we’re happy the Neo Geo is within reach. The Neo Geo homebrew scene just like the Mega Drive scene has been amazing! As well as HPMAN a big thanks goes out to Jeff Kurtz, Razoola, Mike Wolak, Frazer Rhodes and Neil @8Bitplus. It wouldn’t have been possible to consider the Neo Geo without your help.

Of course we’re not doing any further work on developing the Neo Geo version until we’ve finished with the Mega Drive and Dreamcast release. However we’ve got a survey for those that wish to express their interest in the Neo Geo version and to make sure they don’t miss out when we open pre-orders in the future - it will be a very limited edition release!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf68ubFAhVpmjwJ5nc5lgT3spLJ_DzU_u3J9tcVQmdRc-QbTw/viewform

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Good on them and all for making a game, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth when the game wasn't made for the Neo in mind.

Porting a Genesis/Mega Drive game to the Neo is just silly and pointless, and honestly they will be in over their heads getting the right shells and PCBs to make for it imo.

It's borderline sacrilege really. Genesis and SNES had their own versions of the same games, but the Neo was only for Neo games.

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Port it to Neo Geo so you can sell it at $500 a pop, instead of $50 a pop on Megadrive

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Good on them and all for making a game, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth when the game wasn't made for the Neo in mind.

Porting a Genesis/Mega Drive game to the Neo is just silly and pointless, and honestly they will be in over their heads getting the right shells and PCBs to make for it imo.

It's borderline sacrilege really. Genesis and SNES had their own versions of the same games, but the Neo was only for Neo games.

This is a good point. Why bother porting a game to the Neo Geo when the same version can be played on a Genesis. I doubt they'll be able to add anything to the Neo version to take advantage of the extra horse power; but if they can that would make it much more appealing.

It's still great to see another developer putting out a new title for the Neo Geo.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
If they dont at bare minimum make use of the vastly improved color palette then this project is totally pointless. Straight genesis port to NEO•GEO = major fail...

I wonder how they’ll utilize the soundchip...

If they added extra features like levels, bosses, playable characters, etc that would be cool... if its on neo make the game worth the price tag which will certianly be astronomically high as usual..

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member

A CD port is the best way to go, IMO. Nothing about this game compels me to spend $500+.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Awesome! I've suggested they consider a ROM release via Neo SD. Since I believe if they speak to Terra Onion there will be a way to "sign" a ROM file to the customers cart.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Awesome! I've suggested they consider a ROM release via Neo SD. Since I believe if they speak to Terra Onion there will be a way to "sign" a ROM file to the customers cart.

This would make sense.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,

I'd be all for this as well. It's hard to justify the price of a new cart when the game is also being released cheaper for other platforms.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I'd be all for this as well. It's hard to justify the price of a new cart when the game is also being released cheaper for other platforms.

Yeah, certainly more affordable than 300 euros+ for a cart I expect! I am sure they would sell more copies that way since pretty much everyone with a Neo SD would want to buy it i'me sure.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
This game looks like it would be better suited to SNES or NGCD due to the controller button layout.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member

This. I'd buy a rom for my NeoSD.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
This game looks like it would be better suited to SNES or NGCD due to the controller button layout.

My thoughts too. Love me some smash tv on the ng but won't play well unless you're using a pad!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
This is a good point. Why bother porting a game to the Neo Geo when the same version can be played on a Genesis.

Because rubes with more money than sense like yourself will buy anything.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member

That's a clever idea. Good thinking for benefit of others.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Imho the only economical choice would be the neo cd but, as its been seen in the past no one buys neocd games so its probably pointless. Collectards will pay $500 easily for a genesis game on the AES or MVS though. I kinda agree its pointless if they dont try to take any extra advantage of the neo though.

I'd pony up for the cd version but I might as well just snab a Dreamcast version.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Because rubes with more money than sense like yourself will buy anything.

If they do a good job of it and it's not too expensive then yes I'd want to buy it in addition to the Genesis version.

Will it have an arcade and home mode? Attract mode? All those things that should be baked into a proper Neo Geo game.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I was hearing some interview on youtube and the guy who created the game doesn't want the Dreamcast version or any port to be superior to the Genesis Version. So it will most likely be a port of the Genesis version on the Neo with different controls of course.

You'll probably have the option to download the Rom for the Neo like you could for the Genny and DC.

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
How would you know? That would imply that you would actually have to play the games you horde.
giphy.gif

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
No more expensive carts for homebrew please.

pva

Mega Shock!!
No more expensive carts for homebrew please.

This. I'd take a NeoSD-compatible ROM over a physical cart any day.

The MD ROM was priced at £15 during the Kickstarter campaign, but since there haven't been any commercially released downloadable NG titles, it's hard to say what the price point for a NG ROM release would be.