Xeno Crisis coming to Neo Geo

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Fuck its been so long I guess I need confirm they even have the right address. I was really hoping the neo version will have different more detailed sprite work.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Good on them and all for making a game, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth when the game wasn't made for the Neo in mind.

Porting a Genesis/Mega Drive game to the Neo is just silly and pointless, and honestly they will be in over their heads getting the right shells and PCBs to make for it imo.

It's borderline sacrilege really. Genesis and SNES had their own versions of the same games, but the Neo was only for Neo games.

Coming up to two years from this post and I haven't changed my mind.

That said, I've seen youtube vids of the Genesis game - doesn't look terrible. I loved Super Smash TV as a kid. But where are videos of the Neo version?

le geek

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
15 Year Member
I've put together an insert for the upcoming MVS version.

xenocrisis-legeek-copy3.png

Will tweak screenshots and MEG count later as needed.

Cheers,
Ben

capnd77

Marked Wolf

Cheers,
Ben

Fucking dope!!! Great job, I'm hopeful that there's enough of an upgrade over the Genesis version to warrant a purchase.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Coming up to two years from this post and I haven't changed my mind.

Agreed, it's a console game ported to an arcade machine, but same could be said about Neo Bomberman or Panic Bomber. The former is Famicom, the latter is Super-CD, both home consoles. The console STG Thunder Force III went the same way and I wouldn't have been unhappy, if it has had hit MVS back then, instead of Sega's System C-2 hardware. That said, I think porting a console game to an arcade hardware isn't automatically silly and pointless.

Of course, Xeno Crisis wasn't ported with the Neo in mind, still, it could have become a Neo game, like Neo Mr. Do did: gameplay remaining untouched, but audio-visuals enhanced to a degree, which would turn this port into an exclusive title. I doubt Neo XC will go this route, so I share your criticism on this point – the idea of a port has some attractiveness, though. It depends on the developers and how serious they're about the platforms they port it to.

That said, I've seen youtube vids of the Genesis game - doesn't look terrible. I loved Super Smash TV as a kid. But where are videos of the Neo version?

I played it on the Xbox One X and it's a well-made coop-game. Nothing outstanding, nothing terrible. If any port had been made different, though, with platform specific changes, it wouldn't be so obvious that it lacks character. As it stands, it's up to the players to add that character: having some unforgettable coop play-throughs with your bud could make up for it. But if nothing will change, then there's really no deciding reason, why you should play it on the Neo and not anywhere else.

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Thank you, wow I didn't realise it was that long ago. People are being unusually understanding about the delay here!
I think that most people realized the target release date was WAY over-optimistic. I still think that I will get it before AES Kraut Buster, Though. lol.

Missile

Another Striker
Agreed. That cover looks great

I think that most people realized the target release date was WAY over-optimistic. I still think that I will get it before AES Kraut Buster, Though. lol.

I was really pointing out the NGDevteam haters with that comment. They were getting abuse long before Kraut Buster,

Personally I'm glad they are spending time on the Neo Geo version of Xeno Crisis. No one wants a straight Megadrive port. Hopefully they are using their time to make it a lot better

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Agreed. That cover looks great

I was really pointing out the NGDevteam haters with that comment. They were getting abuse long before Kraut Buster,

Personally I'm glad they are spending time on the Neo Geo version of Xeno Crisis. No one wants a straight Megadrive port. Hopefully they are using their time to make it a lot better

This is true, and additional graphics, sound features, and overall gameplay features would be amazing. I just need some video of a prototype of the neo to see if dropping money is gonna happen. I might as well pick up an AES version and the vinyl, but I want to see what I'm getting involved with.

Just one video and I can promise they'll get a bunch more preorders.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Has it been confirmed that the Neo Geo version will have enhanced graphics or sound? I thought at the outset they said it wouldn’t, but it’s been so long I can’t remember...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Has it been confirmed that the Neo Geo version will have enhanced graphics or sound? I thought at the outset they said it wouldn’t, but it’s been so long I can’t remember...

We are really excited to be able to bring Xeno Crisis to the Neo Geo, and we’re planning to add a number of enhancements that just aren’t technically feasible on the Mega Drive version be that due to lack of ROM space, CPU performance or other Mega Drive limitations.

These enhancements will include an arcade attract mode, the ability to join in as the second player at any point, extra sprite frames, colour depth, palettes that we couldn’t quite squeeze in on the Mega Drive, more speech, sound effects, as well as full integration with Neo Geo hardware for features like coin/credit support, memory cards, etc...

----------------------

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
We are really excited to be able to bring Xeno Crisis to the Neo Geo, and we’re planning to add a number of enhancements that just aren’t technically feasible on the Mega Drive version be that due to lack of ROM space, CPU performance or other Mega Drive limitations.

These enhancements will include an arcade attract mode, the ability to join in as the second player at any point, extra sprite frames, colour depth, palettes that we couldn’t quite squeeze in on the Mega Drive, more speech, sound effects, as well as full integration with Neo Geo hardware for features like coin/credit support, memory cards, etc...

----------------------

I wonder how much of that will go into the NGCD version to?
I know they mentioned loading screens etc but dont recall any mention of those kind of features.

neo_mao

15 Year Member

----------------------

Oh yeah, I remember reading that. senile_moe

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior

----------------------

Sounds great and all. But Im worried how theyre going to utilize 4 buttons on a 2 stick game. Need a review before anything.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Sounds great and all. But Im worried how theyre going to utilize 4 buttons on a 2 stick game. Need a review before anything.

Same. I suppose they can map each button a direction and we can learn to play with it. Bombs can be triggered by shoot up + down, and roll is shoot left + right.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
IIRC they said it would have a Shock Troopers style control scheme for the Neo

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The Neo CD pad would probably work OK for twin directionals. Not as good as dual sticks, but I've certainly played games like that before.
I was fairly decent at Quake on the Dreamcast which used the buttons for movement, and the analog for aiming.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The Neo CD pad would probably work OK for twin directionals. Not as good as dual sticks, but I've certainly played games like that before.
I was fairly decent at Quake on the Dreamcast which used the buttons for movement, and the analog for aiming.

NES Smash TV with the two controller directionals to simulate twin sticks was cool, and the diamond pattern in the SNES face buttons was the single reason why it was the best home version for a while. The real problem would be the lack of buttons for anything else aside from walking and firing, though.

A hold-to-freeze-direction setup for the fire button would be fine, too. Hell you can even add a Forgotten Worlds style "A rotates left, C rotates right" if you really hate yourself.

Missile

Another Striker
Recap on the control:

Regarding twin-sticks, Xeno Crisis plays quite differently to Smash TV where your only actions were running and shooting - mastering the roll and throw grenade actions are absolutely crucial to completing the game, so using Smash TV's twin-stick setup just isn't feasible unfortunately. The one exception is the Dreamcast's twin-stick controller (HKT-7500) which have fire buttons on the sticks, making it possible to use the roll and grenade functions.

If you've played Shock Troopers then that should give you a good idea of what to expect - I'm really happy with the controls, and since the game has been designed for a 3 button setup from the start, rather than a twin-stick setup which has then been compromised to work with a 3 or 4 button controller, it works much more nicely than say Super Smash TV on the Mega Drive, in my opinion. We still need to decide what the 4th button should do on the Neo Geo version - currently you auto-melee on the other versions, but it might be nice if the melee action was assigned to its own button on the Neo. Alternatively we could assign the "discard weapon" function, but it's pretty rare that you'll want to do that. I'll test out the melee action on button D first and see how that feels. Anyway, let me know if you have any more questions. :)

Maskman

New Challenger

Cheers,
Ben

AWESOME ! Thanks a lot. Would be good to share later a high resolution for printer. Thanks :)

neo_mao

15 Year Member
So do we have an eta on a shipping date?