Xeno Crisis coming to Neo Geo

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Umm.....I take it the games will be shipped from the UK? Which means that post-Brexit, every European like myself here will have to pay customs fees on the AES game....? Is there a chance you'll find another place to ship from? Not keen on adding 40£ to be honest, plus the 80 mile drive to their offices.
The likelihood of you ever having to pay import taxes for orders from the UK is the same as me having to do it for a Merc from Germany :-)

As the UK is the largest European export market for German cars, I'm sure a free trade zone will be achieved...

Money talks.

Pinball

Kula's Candy
...and if not, then let's have another referendum ;).
Well of course anything might happen politically with the current UK clusterfuck ;-)

But incompetent politicians aside, I do believe that if free trade can be agreed between the EU and Canada, US, Japan etc, then it should be possible with the UK, given that the starting point is that the UK is actually in the EU so has identical rules and processes. But whaddaiknow? ;-)

J-P

NEST Puppet
The likelihood of you ever having to pay import taxes for orders from the UK is the same as me having to do it for a Merc from Germany :-)

As the UK is the largest European export market for German cars, I'm sure a free trade zone will be achieved...

Money talks.

er... not really.

There is no free trade (in those terms) with Canada and the USA and the UK/EU. Freedom of movement for (EU manufactured) goods, (as well as people and trade) is an EU exclusive deal. There are tariff reductions (based on trade deals like CEFTA or NAFTA). New trade deals will need to be negotiated.

So yes - people exporting (British manufactured goods) from the UK will incur duties and sales tax charges on any other EU importer. Just as if they had imported something from any other nation on the globe. The UK won't get special treatment.

It's basic export/import stuff. When you import (foreign manufactured) goods to the UK from Canada, or from the USA, you still have to pay duties and taxes on those goods (based on their country of origin). Same would go for UK>EU. That will be (quite a large part) of what will screw the UK post Brexit. UK manufactured items will technically become a non-EU export

Pinball

Kula's Candy
I think it will be fine. EU negotiators threaten and cajole as negotiators do, and Barnier is a superb hatchet negotiator, but it will work out. Thanks for the fatalism though :-)

As I alluded, Germany holds the key, as it is a huge exporter, second only to China & the US. Germany will not wish to lose the large UK export market through tariffs, particularly given the worsening EU trade & economic situation. The EU election results have also changed things dramatically. Basically, the UK is not the most anti-EU nation, it's just the only one giving the people a referendum. So I expect deals to be struck, to which neither you nor I are privy...

Time will tell, and I'm optimistic.

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Stay on topic, what's going on with this game (as in project update wink wink)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
meaning that we can now include even more sound effects than we originally could which all adds to the experience.

lmbo nah, I don't believe you're adding sound effects when you're supposed to be already finished with the game

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
lmbo nah, I don't believe you're adding sound effects when you're supposed to be already finished with the game

Wait, it could be. Remember Shadowrun on the SNES? The later jpn. version published by Data East was enhanced by Beam Software, primary with better Sound F/X. So, a finished game got additional sound effects. It's far fetched, though.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Then I'm glad my reminder wasn't for nothing. I always wondered if those cosmetics were a worthy tradeoff for the Vladimir Glitch.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Why is nobody asking the important question? What color plastic will the MVS cart be?

Game looks great, can't wait!

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
A lot slower producing the game then expected but I should not have expected anything less.

A quality game is all I care about.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
A lot slower producing the game then expected but I should not have expected anything less.

A quality game is all I care about.
I don't know a lot about the MD version, but count me very impressed with the reported progress on the Neo Geo version.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I don't know a lot about the MD version, but count me very impressed with the reported progress on the Neo Geo version.

The Megadrive version is quite impressive and one of the most polished indie games I've ever seen on the console. These guys definitely know what they're doing, I've already pre-ordered the Megadrive version. I would happily support the Neo Geo version but I'm not sure that the improvements over the Megadrive version warrant the significant cost difference. I get the impression that they don't want to alienate the Megadrive fans that helped get the game initially funded. But as a Neo Geo fan, that's what I love about the system. Seeing visuals that just couldn't be replicated by the Megadrive or SNES. So fingers crossed that there is a marked improvement over the already impressive Megadrive version.

Megadrive gameplay on a CRT.

https://youtu.be/t1l_b1xskcE

Last edited:

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
The Megadrive version is quite impressive and one of the most polished indie games I've ever seen on the console. These guys definitely know what they're doing, I've already pre-ordered the Megadrive version. I would happily support the Neo Geo version but I'm not sure that the improvements over the Megadrive version warrant the significant cost difference. I get the impression that they don't want to alienate the Megadrive fans that helped get the game initially funded. But as a Neo Geo fan, that's what I love about the system. Seeing visuals that just couldn't be replicated by the Megadrive or SNES. So fingers crossed that there is a marked improvement over the already impressive Megadrive version.

Megadrive gameplay on a CRT.

https://youtu.be/t1l_b1xskcE

That's damn impressive!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I remember how much impressed I was with Core's Skeleton Krew on the MD, yet, all this sophisticated programming couldn't transcend into more than an alluring tech-demo.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I remember how much impressed I was with Core's Skeleton Krew on the MD, yet, all this sophisticated programming couldn't transcend into more than an alluring tech-demo.

Skeleton Krew is definitely a beautiful MD game but the controls were awkward and slow. Looking at Xeno Crisis, I don't get that impression. They've stated that they're using a control scheme similar to that of Shock Troopers. So time will tell, I'm optimistic however.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Wow that video looks really nice! Very impressive work on the visual side!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Skeleton Krew is definitely a beautiful MD game but the controls were awkward and slow. Looking at Xeno Crisis, I don't get that impression. They've stated that they're using a control scheme similar to that of Shock Troopers. So time will tell, I'm optimistic however.

Yeah, I agree with you, but let's not forget that Skeleton was fully axonometric 3D, like Landstalker, which technically places it way above the more simplistic top-down perspective of Xeno. I only wish Core had handled the Genesis port of Viewpoint back then.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Technical prowess is just a starting point. Having the diligence and motivation to marry that craft to a nice playing game is the real trick - and it was sometimes very difficult/impossible to have that happen when you ran these projects commercially.

I think it's hilarious these days to see kickstarter punters start to learn a little of what it is like to "work" with games developers, especially the kinds of projects which are a bit of an experiment. It's not the full picture, nor the same context (ks is supposed to be a kind of pre-order, rather than a monetry investment/return, but there is something of an emotional/time/engagement investment on the part of someone who follows a project), but it certainly helps illuminate the kind of BS that publishers get themselves into when working in this field. Learning that ambition and reality rarely go in hand (smoothly), dealing with creep, projecting your wishes/understanding onto someone elses project, deadlines and promises, how to reign it all into something sensible and who you can ultimately trust with your cash - it's a really intriguing situation.

So, yeah I don't believe everything I've been told by these guys, I'm not sure there's as much game here as I'd like, but they still seem to have done a fantastic job, taken good advice/help whenever they could and honestly seem to have done a real good job with more honest love for what they do than most ... plus done it in a very reasonable time frame.

It is easy to be salty on the ng version, because it is kind of the other version for crazy people. BUT if you were on the dev team and this kind of thing was your area of interest there's no way you wouldn't like to do a ng version if you found you could - so yeah I think it's more an extra for them than you, but of course you can buy it if you'd like it.