Xeno Crisis coming to Neo Geo

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I mean, I did suggest using multiplexing a few pages back that would allow twin-stick support for each player. I got slapped in the face for it though. lol

I got my MD ROM. Game kicks ass, more specifically my ass. I can't imagine moving from 6 buttons for 8 directional aiming to the Neo stick. I'm glad I went with the MD version if the Neo version is going to stay within' the four button limit.

No kidding this game is pretty tough I only made it to stage 3. I tried both control schemes and liked the 3 button mode since it reminded me of Shock Troopers and games like Last Alert. I need to go back and try out the 6 button layout again. I am curious what control options they are going to do on the Neo version. Great game I am glad I bought the genesis rom.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I really like this game, but it's tough. The first boss's shots, for example, are difficult to avoid.

The more I play this, the more I think using start and select for roll and grenades on Neo Geo will be just fine. They'll have to include a second controller option for those using sticks and/or a cab, or course.

it290

Not so MEGA, eh?
The first boss is pretty easy once you get the pattern down—it's basically just sweeping left and right with the right timing and generally aiming diagonally NW or NE to get some coverage on his adds at the same time—but you will definitely want to roll frequently during the last 40% of his healthbar or so, and rolling becomes even more vital later in the game (grenades are important, but a little less so). I can see getting used to using start/select for these on a CD pad, but I can't see it being nearly as intuitive as using shoulders on something like the Switch, the M30 or the Asciipad Sg-6. A custom pad or stick with the main 4 buttons in a cross configuration and start/select mapped to shoulders would work pretty well, though.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I need to get better at rolling and aiming without running into stuff. The first boss spawns a steady stream of enemies.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I've been playing this with a neo aes stick on my genesis and it's fine with the default 3 button control scheme. I appreciate that they did the 6 button scheme but it feels off regardless.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I also can't play with the 6 button control scheme but the 3 button scheme runs fine.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I'm almost OK with the 6-button option until I have to move my thumb to roll or throw a grenade. Everything falls apart when I try to find those direction buttons again.
The 3-button layout feels less taxing on my brain but somehow I get about as far with both layouts. I think I need to pick one and stick with it.
Right now the game feels hard because of the controls.

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Hey guys, thought I'd better stop lurking and say 'hello' - I used to hang around here back when I was an AES collector but now I'm here as a developer of Xeno Crisis, which we are of course very excited about bringing to the Neo Geo. :)

I see there's been some talk about the controls - I can tell you that the the game plays great with every input device, from keyboards through to twin stick setups such as the XBox One controller. The controls actually mimic those of Shock Troopers, which I hope you'll agree are excellent. On top of this though you can also rotate your shot direction whilst shooting by tapping 'A' or 'C', as seen in Skeleton Krew on the Mega Drive. Personally, I play using keyboard with a 3 button configuration to mimic the Mega Drive's, but we've got the luxury of an extra button on the Neo Geo - we might assign this to either the melee attack or the 'discard weapon' action.

Anyway, it's been interesting to read the comments so far, and if you have any questions at all then I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers,

Mike.

Congrats on getting the Genesis version released. Any news on the Neo version? There haven’t been updates in a while.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Looks like they're doing well. I have to admit that even though we all knew the target dates were overly optimistic, the game seems tondo well and the team is a professional crew of great guys. Excellent, looking forward to the neo version!

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Just asked them, & there will be an official update posted by Tuesday at the latest. It’s been quite a while since the last update, so it should be interesting.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Just asked them, & there will be an official update posted by Tuesday at the latest. It’s been quite a while since the last update, so it should be interesting.

I can verify that, I emailed them and they said they were nearing completion of the dreamcast version and neo geo version is "not far behind."

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Bitmap Bureau said:
Neo Geo versions nears completion!

The Neo Geo versions continue to make steady progress - we had to jump on the Dreamcast heavily this last month or so to finalise it, but now it’s complete we can focus all of our efforts on the Neo Geo. Fortunately our codebase shares a lot of common code and a number of the features and changes from the Mega Drive we implemented for Dreamcast also benefit the Neo Geo.

As with the Dreamcast version we’re making sure all of the extra details and features that are unique to Neo Geo games are in place and implemented properly. Little details like for example on the Neo Geo CD, we’ve implemented our own animated loading sequence, and the logo for the newer bios as found in the CD-Z and UniBios:

As we’ve mentioned before we try to carry out extremely thorough testing where we can. For Neo Geo we’ve been actively buying one of every model AES, MVS and CD. We actually have 30 unique MVS model revisions now, although if you’ve got a spare MV1B-CHX we’d like to buy it to complete our set!

We had at this point hoped to have ordered the PCBs, however in the final stages of testing our prototype with some continued soak testing we found a rare reset issue that would only occur on some models. We’re currently waiting for a prototype PCB revision to arrive, which we anticipate will solve the issue, and after some more testing we will then proceed with ordering all of the PCBs.

For those of you that have ordered a Collector’s Edition for Neo Geo, we need to finalise hostage names and confirm your serial number. We will get an email to you soon, confirming what we have on record and giving you the opportunity to make any changes. Please look out for updates on social media confirming when this has been sent.

We’re also pleased to say we will be getting 2 versions of the Neo Geo CD manufactured one with JP and the other with US/EU release styling. We will also be in contact with those of you that placed a pre-order to confirm your preference.

On the subject of Neo Geo hardware, we were fortunate enough to have the amazing Simon Lock (https://twitter.com/A3rgan) fix some of our AES and MVS units for our QA phase - you can see some of his handiwork here:
https://twitter.com/A3rgan/status/1253159266070007809

Do get in touch with him through his website (https://aergan.wordpress.com/) if you have any retro hardware that needs some attention!

Source

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Finally got around to pre-ordering my AES copy. Here's hoping we have our copies by the end of the year

Missile

Another Striker
I ordered this ages ago and I can't remember now when it was originally supposed to be out on Neo Geo?

It's good they are spending time making it work right. I guess they can't do what NGDevteam do with the updatable MVS carts. So they need to get it right first time.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
I ordered this ages ago and I can't remember now when it was originally supposed to be out on Neo Geo?

It's good they are spending time making it work right. I guess they can't do what NGDevteam do with the updatable MVS carts. So they need to get it right first time.

There were very confident it would ship Q2 2019...

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member

This looks pretty gangsta I must admit, twin stickin and all.

Last edited:

mhell06

n00b
Can't see the video for some reason. Is it the Dreamcast version? If anyone is playing this on Mega Drive btw I recommend using the 8Bitdo M30. You can use the shoulder buttons. Makes it a bit easier to control.