Favorite oddball Neo Geo game

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I am not talking about popular games like Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug or King of Fighters as most people already know about these games. I am talking about stranger games like Pon n Bounce, Zupapa or Flip Shot.

Personally my favorite game in that category is Neo Mr. Do as I think the concept of the game is quite fun.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I wouldn't consider any of the Neo titles oddball. Most all of the games are in some type of genre. Like Neo Mr Do, it's classified as a maze game.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I wouldn't consider any of the Neo titles oddball. Most all of the games are in some type of genre. Like Neo Mr Do, it's classified as a maze game.

Then maybe of better way to classify the games are games that were not as mainstream as games like Fatal Fury or King of Fighters.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'd say non shoootie or fighter, it would be Magical Drop III and Neo Turf Masters. Those get regular play when people are over.

adaup1

n00b
It's definitely tough to determine what's oddball because the library is fairly small and I assume a good number of people on this forum have experience with every game. I don't hear about Ganryu very often. It's not like a goofy puzzle game or anything and Visco made a lot of stuff, but I just never hear people talk about it. I have a surprising amount of fun with the Stakes Winner games - which are probably more popular than Ganryu but definitely more of a novelty to play.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
if ninja commando counts, then it's my favourite.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
How about Gururin? Once I was able to get my mind around it, it's a really fun puzzle game with unique game mechanics. Idol Money Exchanger is also an unique and awesome puzzle game, but it's much more well known compared to Gururin.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Yeah, I don’t think oddball is the right term, either.

I see what you’re getting at though, OP, to answer you, Zupapa!

grafik__

n00b
Let me try... Pochi and Nyaa? I love the style of this game...fairly oddball perhaps ;)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Legend of Success Joe which is also the best game for the Neo if you're in the know.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Riding Hero is so shitty it would have to be classified in it's own category.
Oddball? Yea, because it does nothing right.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Kid Panda is right, define oddball. Is it a golf game in the arcades? Then I take NTM. Or a crossover puzzle-shooter like TSS? How about a sprite based STG that imitates the look of polygons, as Viewpoint did? Or a first person, weapon-based brawler with a distinct adventure touch, like Crossed Swords? The latter would be my pick for sure.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I am not talking about popular games like Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug or King of Fighters as most people already know about these games. I am talking about stranger games like Pon n Bounce, Zupapa or Flip Shot.

Personally my favorite game in that category is Neo Mr. Do as I think the concept of the game is quite fun.
I like Street Hoop (if that counts as an obscure game). The graphics and sound are good, and it's fun to play. I like the way it has 3 players on each team (unlike NBA Jam, which had 2 players, so that didn't feel like enough to make up a team).

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Kid Panda is right, define oddball. Is it a golf game in the arcades? Then I take NTM. Or a crossover puzzle-shooter like TSS? How about a sprite based STG that imitates the look of polygons, as Viewpoint did? Or a first person, weapon-based brawler with a distinct adventure touch, like Crossed Swords? The latter would be my pick for sure.

A concrete definition I can give is that any game that is not a shooter or a fighter.