XRGB Mini Framemeister vs. OSSC (1.6)

Hey community,

what do you think about
Framemeister vs OSSC
the pro and contra?

i have a Bang Olufsen MX 6000, is a very good CRT, only the service menu is very very complicated and bad. every console need another centering... no auto centering

i have see many videos on youtube and read reports. i'm not sure what is better for the future.

Framemeister XRGB

Pro:
compatibility (work with all (?) new TVs)
many configuration and english menu (with firmware update)
looks a little bit better (?)
zoom feature

Contra:
old version, (5 (?) years no new version)
high price
compatibility
input lag (20ms)
only import from japan
profiles for every console

OSSC 1.6

Pro:
cheaper
no input lag
"new" product

Contra:
compatibility (not work with all TVs)
less configuration choice
no zoom feature
cable management

i can continue the list for another members when we found more pro and contras.

everybody a Framemeister or OSSC and can say more about this?

thanks in advance for another experience

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've had both, you've pretty much nailed the pros and cons. The main advantage of the OSSC is no input lag, otherwise the Framemeister is better in most respects. The only other thing I'd add is the video inputs are a little different. Both accept RGB, the Mini can accept composite and svideo as well, although it is really bad at upscaling those inputs. The Mini can also do component, but the component input is extremely noisy and kinda useless. The OSSC can accept VGA and has a much better component input.

For what it's worth, I sold my Framemeister and use an OSSC now.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm considering ditching the PVM for the OSSC. It'd only be to play the Neo, the OSSC looks pretty good but seeing it with the naked eye is it comparable to a PVM?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's different. Not necessarily better or worse, but different. Using an OSSC is more like running an emulator on a PC but without the input lag.

embergabor

New Challenger
The only reason I was hesitant to buy the OSSC was tv compatibility. I have a Sony kd-55xe7005 tv and it support all outputs of the ossc except 576i line2x interlaced where the resolution is just some random number for it. If you get a proper tv and not just some cheap hdtv you should not have any problems. Considering that the OP is german and eu TVs usually have better support (50/60Hz 480, 576 and the like) the OSSC should be fine in this regard. The image is razor sharp in 240p line5x (1080p).
I absolutely love mine but I still keep a consumer crt for guncon games and for when my gf is playing on the big screen.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm considering ditching the PVM for the OSSC. It'd only be to play the Neo, the OSSC looks pretty good but seeing it with the naked eye is it comparable to a PVM?

I've been considering the same thing but since I already have the PVM's, might as well use them till they go.

Maybe hold on for another year or two and see what else comes out.

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
OSSC compatibility can be a problem ... For me it works on 1 of my 3 TV. But it works well with the 2 PC monitors I have. It may have something to do with the signal intensity it seems, because one of the 2 TV that doesn't work worked before I attenuated the RGB signal from my supergun.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
OP, how is no input lag on the OSSC a con and not a pro?

Because if you've already done a no hit deathless run speedrun hands tied behind my back run of an arcade game, more input lag can be quite thrilling.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Does any one have the Retrotink to add to this XRGB Mini Framemeister and OSSC comparison?

It's certainly the budget option but for what I'm hoping from it the Retrotink's line doubling from 240p to 480p might be all I need.

Since I switched to HD Retrovision component cables for my Genesis, SMS and SNES I can no longer use my Dazzle capture device and the two new capture cards I've tried just can't see a 240p signal. I'm hoping the Retrotink will bridge the gap.

I've ordered one but haven't received it yet. And for $100 USD I'll buy another for use on an HD TV if it ends up working well.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Shouldn't the no input lag be on the pro side of your list for the OSSC?
Anyways I have both and they both have worked out very well for me. The OSSC edges out the FM in terms of input lag and pixel sharpness. The FM has much more compatibility and features like the FBX profiles. Also I'm not sure if newer versions of the OSSC have HDMI? That was kind of annoying but not a big deal. Though you do have to buy the jp21 to scart adapter for the FM so that evens them out there a bit in that department. Oh and you forgot to mention the really annoying issue when switching from 240p to 480i resolution on the FM. You have to wait like 6-7 seconds for the resolution to change.

Both are good and im glad they exist. I never felt held back by the input lag on the FM. And the OSSC has been really good at doing its job as well.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
The one thing the Framemister has that the OSSC doesn't is a zoom feature. Playing PSP, Gameboy, or GameGear through the Framemeister is nice using the zoom feature to fill the display. Also the C64 doesn't do RGB so using the S-video on the FM is also nice.

Both are nice devices, and Contra looks awesome through both. If I didn't already have a Framemeister before the OSSC I doubt I'd own one though.

The one thing the Framemister has that the OSSC doesn't is a zoom feature. Playing PSP, Gameboy, or GameGear through the Framemeister is nice using the zoom feature to fill the display.

thank you for this information, i have add zoom to Pro for Frame and Contra for OSSC, i did not know that, very interested!

at this moment i tend to the Framemeister, perhaps more members can say another difference

the no input lag have stand by contra, its only a misstake, i have change this, thanks for feedback :-)

games_sk

Mr. Big's Thug
Never knew about the OSSC until reading this thread...

I was thinking of buying a XRGB mini from Japan but this OSSC sounds great. It's cheaper and sold in the UK!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I love my OSSC, it didn't play nice with CPS2 board through a supergun on one of my TVs but it was an anomaly. It's small, easy to use, and the HDMI is convenient.

embergabor

New Challenger
Cable management is a problem with the OSSC though. Component input cables have to reach the component video and the audio inputs which are on different sides on the OSSC so the cables go everywhere. I do not suggest using small jack to rca adapters for this reason, use jack to 2 rca cables instead. I tried using a vga to component adapter and a jack to rca for the Wii and the Wii's component cable can't reach over to both sides. So use 5-10cm cable adapters instead of small connector boxes (I don't know their name, dongles?). Even this way you have cables coming out of 3 sides of the OSSC which is not beautiful.

AirZonk

n00b
I went with the OSSC since it is cheaper and has no lag. I believe there is a thread on the OSSC forums that lists compatible TV sets, so you might be able to check that before buying. I also just bought a RetroTink 2X to use in conjunction with the OSSC, but I won't have it until next month.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I went with the OSSC since it is cheaper and has no lag. I believe there is a thread on the OSSC forums that lists compatible TV sets, so you might be able to check that before buying. I also just bought a RetroTink 2X to use in conjunction with the OSSC, but I won't have it until next month.

Get back to us about the RetroTink. Looks great but I'm interested in the feedback from users.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I use my OSSC for everything except PS2 480i games. Those just look like absolute garbage on the OSSC. Framemeister XRGB-mini makes those 480i games look pretty darn good.

I've only played a handful of 480i games through the XRGB-mini since I usually play on CRT's, so my experience isn't that extensive, but I haven't had a single drop-out when it switches resolutions like some people talk about. Maybe those resolution switches aren't that common on the PS2 which is why it's never happened to me?

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't remember the PS2 doing too much resolution changing, but some Saturn games were really bad about that.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Get back to us about the RetroTink. Looks great but I'm interested in the feedback from users.
mylifeingaming just did a review for the retrotink if you're interested.

embergabor

New Challenger
I use my OSSC for everything except PS2 480i games. Those just look like absolute garbage on the OSSC.

480i passthrough works nicely if your tv can handle it. The interesting thing is that my Sony in game mode uses Bob deinterlacing by default, which looks about the same as line2x bob on the ossc (I really should make a video about this). When switching the tv to other picture modes, or switching from game to something else and back very fast, it turns on proper deinterlacing and the image is very smooth that way. I just hate bobbing, I can't understand how can someone like it. On a CRT bobbing is fine because blooming smoothes it out. Even 480p line2x looks bad for me, way too blocky. So for the PS2 I just use passthrough for 480i and 480p. But if your tv can't handle 480i properly I can totally understand not using the OSSC for PS2. Of course it's the same situation with the Wii. 480p looks pretty darn good as is.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
480i passthrough works nicely if your tv can handle it.

I had a Vizio e601i if my memory serves, and now two TCL's (5 and 6 series), passthrough on all of those is still very bad compared to how the Framemeister handles 480i. It's honestly the only reason why I still have the expensive XRGB-mini in my setup. Would love to know any settings that would let me go all OSSC on these popular TV models...