XRGB Mini Framemeister vs. OSSC (1.6)

pva

Mega Shock!!
Get back to us about the RetroTink. Looks great but I'm interested in the feedback from users.

I own both an OSSC v1.6 and a RetroTink 2X from the first batch, and am using them together by feeding the OSSC's HDMI output to the OSSC's VGA input through a Tendak HDMI-to-VGA dongle.

I only use the RT2X for connecting my Commodore 64 to my plasma TV via the OSSC. The C64 is only capable of outputting composite and S-Video, and it was the only device holding me back from ditching my Framemeister in favour of the OSSC (all my other devices output RGB).

I like the picture adjustments the OSSC offers over the RT2X, which is pretty much a connect-and-forget type of affair. The lack of adjustments may or may not be a good thing depending on your requirements.

It's my understanding that the decoder chip inside the RT2X offers a plethora of adjustments, but Mike has decided not to open them up to end-users for the time being. The PQ is perfectly adequate for my taste given the C64's S-Video signal isn't the cleanest out there. What I don't like about the RT2X is the inability to choose the default input and output mode. The device defaults to line-doubled component and I'd like it to boot to pass-through S-Video. Mike has indicated that switching the default mode should be possible (see previous link), but it would involve re-flashing the firmware, and I don't have the required hardware.

Last edited:

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
My OSSC is on its way from over the pond. Can someone give a link to a kick ass shielded SCART cable for the AES? I was looking at this one, but do I need the audio jack on it since the OSSC has L+R audio out? Thanks guys.

Oh, also my AES is fully modded by Neotropolis. S-Video, Component, Composite, L+R RCA Out, etc.

IMG_4215.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Hopefully the RGB on your DIN jack is still connected. You need a way to get stereo audio to the scart cable if you want the audio to go to the OSSC since audio from the DIN jack is mono only. That means audio from the headphone jack, or from the phono jacks added to the back of your console.

I buy all my cables from https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk and am very happy. I haven't gotten their upgraded ones, since the basic ones are already shielded well enough.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
The OSSC can handle audio from the Scart input, it only needs separate audio connections for component RCA or VGA inputs.

Hopefully the RGB on your DIN jack is still connected. You need a way to get stereo audio to the scart cable if you want the audio to go to the OSSC since audio from the DIN jack is mono only. That means audio from the headphone jack, or from the phono jacks added to the back of your console.

I buy all my cables from https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk and am very happy. I haven't gotten their upgraded ones, since the basic ones are already shielded well enough.

Thank you both for the info. It really clears things up for me.

madman, go suck it. Neotropolis just modded my existing AES per my request. hey wait.... why do I have to explain my reasoning to you? go suck it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You can get most of the big RGB cable makers to make a cable that has RCA on the system end for audio for either CD systems or modded consoles. My advice would be to run the audio separately, you are much less likely to get audio hum it interference that way.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
madman, go suck it. Neotropolis just modded my existing AES per my request. hey wait.... why do I have to explain my reasoning to you? go suck it.
You still overpaid. Rube.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
You can get most of the big RGB cable makers to make a cable that has RCA on the system end for audio for either CD systems or modded consoles. My advice would be to run the audio separately, you are much less likely to get audio hum it interference that way.

Yeah, that was my conclusion as well. Thanks brother.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
is there any difference in quality from the chinese ossc clones?

I wouldn't expect any difference in performance but physical quality might be questionable. Thing is you can actually get a chinese one.