why do most of the turbo duo games suck?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
The hang up is when you compare it to the likes of the NES, SNES or Genny of the time. At no point, does its best beat their best and nor does the amount of quality titles match up.

It's a worthwhile system. I'm not saying its trash. But pound for pound, it just can't hang.

I would say the same except the opposite. Pound for pound I'm just not into the SNES or Gen library by comparison. SNES is very gimmick-heavy in it's library, not surprising for Nintendo. Most the music churned out by the SNES sounds the same as well. Genesis is a dithered mess of low color palettes. Of the 3, Gen definitely has a case in claiming superiority. But at the end of the day, it's obviously all personal opinion. For US game libraries, Gen wins, I definitely agree. But if you dig deeper intoys the PCE Japan library it is a treasure trove of oddball games, shooters and platformers. If more PCE RPG's were localized in the US I think it'd be a different story honestly.

If nothing else, PCE CD destroys Sega CD's library IMO

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
So you're saying the bulk of the SNES library uses Mode 7 as a crutch?

hahaha maybe to an extent, yeah (in the US). It just boils down to what clicks with you. I had TG16/Gen/SNES during the 90's - bought all at release except for TG16, i was late on that one, but the games were so overpriced. It just seemed to be the one that stuck with me. I love them all, and none of them "suck" which is the whole point. You can dig into the piles of subjective reasons we all like one over the other. But I don't think you could say that one of their libraries "suck".

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
^ Ok, I hear you.

The OP's thread topic is short-sighted and whack. One can only imagine what criteria he's basing the PC-Engine CD libraries "suckiness" on. Maybe he's not coming from a short sighted place and just worded his sentiment lazily, who knows. Bottom line is, it's silly to say the PC-Engine sucks.

I just can't resist defending the SNES when the occasion arises. As someone who pretty much only plays action/shooting (yes I like shmups)/fighting games, I'll always throw out a "hmmm?", anytime someone implies that the SNES is just an rpg machine and "DA arcadez live in da genesis and pc-engine". I'm not claiming that you're really saying that here though.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
^ Ok, I hear you.

The OP's thread topic is short-sighted and whack. One can only imagine what criteria he's basing the PC-Engine CD libraries "suckiness" on. Maybe he's not coming from a short sighted place and just worded his sentiment lazily, who knows. Bottom line is, it's silly to say the PC-Engine sucks.

I just can't resist defending the SNES when the occasion arises. As someone who pretty much only plays action/shooting (yes I like shmups)/fighting games, I'll always throw out a "hmmm?", anytime someone implies that the SNES is just an rpg machine and "DA arcadez live in da genesis and pc-engine". I'm not claiming that you're really saying that here though.

Nah man, just crudely attempting to articulate my preference for the PCE

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Only an idiot would say the PCE sucks. It's abilities at a hardware level are impressive and in the right hands it sings beautifully just like all the others (NES, SNES, Genny). Whether or not you like her songs is completely subjective but denying her ability is retarded.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Bithead drops the knowledge! Never played Override before. I'm going to have to boot that up on the old Everdrive soon.

You're a fool for looking to that moron for what video games to play.

Develop your own sense of taste. Jeez.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
You're a fool for looking to that moron for what video games to play.

Develop your own sense of taste. Jeez.

hahaha exactly. I found a list of ALL shooters and worked my way down the list. Override is badass though.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
hahaha exactly. I found a list of ALL shooters and worked my way down the list. Override is badass though.

Right. The dude already has an everdrive. How much easier do things need to get?

Also, I didn't really care for Override, but you know, I don't really like the PC Engine.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Right. The dude already has an everdrive. How much easier do things need to get?

Also, I didn't really care for Override, but you know, I don't really like the PC Engine.

You sonofoa...go play Mode 7 (I'm drunk)

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I can’t believe there’s a forum member here who thinks the pce/tg-16 sucks.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Trust your instinct: there isn't. Then again, we could always discuss some western translations/cover designs to have fun ;).

Yeah, but those are awesome too. For slightly different reasons lol

And sapphire’s sound effects are just fine. I actually really like the mechanical humming some of the bosses make.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
You could Roll down the windows and cool the beach. Lol

You see the episode where he was talking about Lords of Thunder, and he said your parents hated it so much, it might as well have came with a bag of pot?

But back to the topic. Most of the games on the PC Engine do suck. Just like 90% of games on every other console suck. The only exception to this is Neo Geo, which has a much higher percent of quality titles. Partly due to the low number of titles, and an extreme focus on doing what one does best. Making mostly fighting games.