Picky Eaters: What's their Deal???

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Someone posted this on Facebook this morning, and it really resonated with me. I deal with people like this all the time. In my family, and people I talk with at work. Pretty much on a daily basis.

Examples:

1. I'll be at home, and my parents are grilling out. Steaks, Chicken, Ribs, typical stuff. My brothers refuse to try it, and eat a disgusting Tyson Chicken Patty, because they don't like chicken in "breast form". I don't get that???

2. I'll be at work, eating an Avocado for breakfast, and someone's like "Gross! How do you eat that?". Then I ask them if they ever even tried one, and they're like "Eww, no, it's green".

3. Telling someone about a sushi restaurant... not even going to explain this.

4. Then there one of my most hated of the bunch, the "texture people". How the hell does texture determine how good a food tastes? This baffles me.

I would have to say my most hated of the picky eaters, are the ones who don't even try anything new, and hate on everything. How can you not even try something, and just hate all day on it?

Oh, and one last one I almost forgot. The "I don't like water" people. Seriously, your body is like 80% water, and humans went thousands of years and never drank anything except water. How is this possible? If you are out there please explain.

picky.jpg

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
There is evidence that there is a genetic link between palettable foods in humans, although exposure and reinforcement at a very early age is key. I wasn't allowed to not like food as a kid, so I got used to it.

I can understand texture though. I would greatly prefer my fries crispy rather than limp, but I'm not going to say no to a fry.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Conversations about food like this drives me nuts. I typically have to walk away.
I have one co-worker where i tolerate it. He'll order a salad, and substitute almost every item.

I read a study were over 90% of the claims of food allergies were merely about food preference.
I call this bluff when I'm out with people now. It's not quite 90%, but i've had a lot of people come clean. "Are you allergic to mushrooms or do you just not like them? I just dont really like them."

The problem is this creates a lot of extra work for people in the food service industry. They have to take those responses quite seriously.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I met the I refuse to drink water people. I even met people who dont drink water because they say it tastes like crap. I tell them that water doesnt taste like anything and they say "Exactly", lol.

Drinking water is key to a Healthy Lifestyle. Drink more water and less of everything else.

Dont even get me started on the food people who just refuse to try anything new.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
There is evidence that there is a genetic link between palettable foods in humans, although exposure and reinforcement at a very early age is key. I wasn't allowed to not like food as a kid, so I got used to it.

I can understand texture though. I would greatly prefer my fries crispy rather than limp, but I'm not going to say no to a fry.

This would make sense. I was slightly picky when I was in high school, and before. At some point though I determined I needed to try and eat healthier. So I started eating things I thought I didn't like very much, but could tolerate without vomiting. So over time I have grown to like stuff like tomatoes, green beans, avocado's, spinach, collard greens, etc..

I think the only 3 things, I truly can not eat, because they would make me vomit is olives, beets (taste like the dirt they came out of), and possibly grapefruit. Grapefruit won't make me vomit, but is very hard to get down.

I think a lot of people just confuse no flavor, with disgusting, when it comes to stuff like water and rice. When really their just bland, but tolerable.

I met the I refuse to drink water people. I even met people who dont drink water because they say it tastes like crap. I tell them that water doesnt taste like anything and they say "Exactly", lol.

Drinking water is key to a Healthy Lifestyle. Drink more water and less of everything else.

Dont even get me started on the food people who just refuse to try anything new.

Water barely has a taste. I filter it, and it tastes like nothing. When I go back to tap water, I can taste the chemicals, but is doable. You will not notice this in the USA if you never even try filtered water.

Water is the oil that keeps your body running. Just like an engine without gasoline, a body without water will eventually break down and crash. Dehydration, and other issues related to not flushing out your system. I would not be surprised if a lack of water is somehow related to certain types of cancer.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I love me some Guacamole, but I'm not a fan of just an avocado.

I'm not a big seafood eater aside from Scallops, the occasional shrimp, and pussy.

As I grew older I appreciated and preferred water over anything else.

If available, I will ALWAYS hit up the salad bar, provided it looks sanitary.

I tried chicken heart at a Brazillian steakhouse - I knew what it was and was aware of what I was about to eat. It tasted fine, but I just couldn't get it out of my head that it was a chicken heart. I couldnt finish it. More power to the people that can eat something like that, tho.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

Mostly this, because their parents allowed them to eat nothing but chicken tenders and french fries growing up. My cousin's kids are like that and now that they are off to college that is all they eat still. My mother made me eat my peas and string beans and stuff like that when I was a kid, and now I enjoy them, just had peas with my lunch.

I can say the more I've exposed myself to sushi and avocados and things like that the more I've liked them. I really just started liking guacamole.

I tried to do the same thing with uncooked tomatoes and just couldn't make myself like them. I do like tomato sauce, etc.

Mushrooms I cannot eat at all.

I gave up soda for like two years a little bit ago, I do drink it now though.

I can't even finish a whole can of soda now, maybe ginger ale but that's it.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I tried chicken heart at a Brazillian steakhouse - I knew what it was and was aware of what I was about to eat. It tasted fine, but I just couldn't get it out of my head that it was a chicken heart. I couldnt finish it. More power to the people that can eat something like that, tho.

I was exactly like that with sushi for awhile. It was weird and foreign. Sometimes you just have to power through these things. I could understand where you're coming from though. I would probably draw the line at brains. It would freak me out. If I was in a survival situation though, you better believe I would be brewing some brain stew if I had to.

Mostly this, because their parents allowed them to eat nothing but chicken tenders and french fries growing up. My cousin's kids are like that and now that they are off to college that is all they eat still. My mother made me eat my peas and string beans and stuff like that when I was a kid, and now I enjoy them, just had peas with my lunch.

The problem with eating like that, is when you get older you are constantly sick. My youngest brother is one of the most sickly people I know. I'm like "Bro, eat some fucking nutrients, that's your problem".

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I love me some Guacamole, but I'm not a fan of just an avocado.

I'm not a big seafood eater aside from Scallops, the occasional shrimp, and pussy.

As I grew older I appreciated and preferred water over anything else.

If available, I will ALWAYS hit up the salad bar, provided it looks sanitary.

Try Avocado on a Turkey Burger. It's a solid combo that you might enjoy. As far as Chicken Hearts Go, I'm married to a 1/2 Brazilian 1/2 Italian Woman and chicken hearts was something I did not eat until we started dating and was introduced to Brazilian Rodizio. If they are over cooked and dry, they taste like crap. It has to be tender for it to taste good. I'm a Medium Rare Guy, I don't like my bbq well done.

Sushi was something I stayed away from until I tried a California Roll and liked it. After that, I slowly started trying other rolls and now I'm hooked.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Reading through this thread reminds me of my 6 year old. But to his credit he loves avocado and sushi. So there's hope for the boy yet.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I would have to say my most hated of the picky eaters, are the ones who don't even try anything new, and hate on everything. How can you not even try something, and just hate all day on it?

View attachment 51392

A short-sighted shit tweet resonates with you, that's very telling, but comes as no surprise.

Ok, you can't empathize/relate at all. To not understand certain people? Fine. But you "hate" them? Why do you care what people eat?
Are you cooking every night for a family of "picky eaters" or something? That could be challenging, but I'm sure you're not doing this. You probably turned on your "hate" so baldgalzsack will think you're cool/retweet you.

Last edited:

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
A short-sighted shit tweet resonates with you, that's very telling, but comes as no surprise.

Ok, you can't empathize/relate at all. To not understand certain people? Fine. But you "hate" them? Why do you care what people eat?
Are you cooking every night for a family of "picky eaters" or something? That could be challenging, but I'm sure you're not doing this. You probably turned on your "hate" so baldgalzsack will think you're cool/retweet you.

You are awesome

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

What comes as no surprise, is that your whining like a little bitch in another thread. Seriously... do you post anything that isn't a blatant attempt to argue? Get the sand out of your vagina, or go over to NintendoAge with all the other McNugget eaters.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
This would make sense. I was slightly picky when I was in high school, and before. At some point though I determined I needed to try and eat healthier. So I started eating things I thought I didn't like very much, but could tolerate without vomiting. So over time I have grown to like stuff like tomatoes, green beans, avocado's, spinach, collard greens, etc..

I think the only 3 things, I truly can not eat, because they would make me vomit is olives, beets (taste like the dirt they came out of), and possibly grapefruit. Grapefruit won't make me vomit, but is very hard to get down.

You are still a picky eater based on this statement :keke:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I'm a picky eater, a basic meat and potatoes person. Too many spices and my stomach can't handle it so I throw up. My friends have seen it a lot. I don't get invited to many cook outs anymore. It's not that I don't try new things but the results are predictable.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
What comes as no surprise, is that your whining like a little bitch in another thread. Seriously... do you post anything that isn't a blatant attempt to argue? Get the sand out of your vagina, or go over to NintendoAge with all the other McNugget eaters.

You usually don't fall apart so quickly. I don't think "whining" and "bitch" are words that describe my posting style well, but I can always admit when I'm wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

Also, NintendoAge didn't get enough votes in my poll, so I'm not supposed to join. Do you think I Would be a good fit there? If so, I will join.

good topic op

@ syn- I dont think that counts as a picky eater my dude, you arent picking a very limited diet because you hate things, its just what your stomach can handle, it sounds like you would like to be a more adventurous eater

I dont hate picky eaters or care what you eat but I think it says something about the person, as in I see being an adventurous eater as a sign of intelligence and an open mind in general

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

He was working some sort of emo trolling for awhile, but he's now back to v1.0 ASID trolling.

fake

15 Year Member
He was working some sort of emo trolling for awhile, but he's now back to v1.0 ASID trolling.

What is emo trolling? A more melodic version of hardcore punk trolling?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
You usually don't fall apart so quickly. I don't think "whining" and "bitch" are words that describe my posting style well, but I can always admit when I'm wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

Also, NintendoAge didn't get enough votes in my poll, so I'm not supposed to join. Do you think I Would be a good fit there? If so, I will join.

Just cause I use bad words doesn't mean I'm off the rails. It just means I felt like using swear words to get my point across. I could have said..

"What comes as no surprise, is that you're complaining like a little girl in another thread."

See, that might not get your attention as well.

Maybe I'm wrong too. Maybe we're both whining bitches.

Seems likely.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I dont hate picky eaters or care what you eat but I think it says something about the person, as in I see being an adventurous eater as a sign of intelligence and an open mind in general

This is pretty much what I was going to say. If someone is a picky eater, I don't really care because it doesn't affect me personally, but it's a sign of their level of intellectual maturity and open-mindedness. My wife used to work with a guy who refused to eat vegetables unless it was broccoli covered in cheese sauce or was deep fried.

I think most of us have our lines about what we will and won't try, but if you're not willing to step outside of your McDonalds and chicken tendies comfort zone then people are going to judge you a little bit.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
What is emo trolling? A more melodic version of hardcore punk trolling?

:lolz:

I was made to eat my food or I couldn’t leave the table. I remember gagging on vegetables and certain foods at an early age but these days I can eat pretty much anything. Seafood is one of my favourite foods. I can understand people who turn their nose up at seafood, it literally stinks. But sometimes the stinky foods are the tastiest. Fuck Durian though, that fruit is rank.

fake

15 Year Member
This is pretty much what I was going to say. If someone is a picky eater, I don't really care because it doesn't affect me personally, but it's a sign of their level of intellectual maturity and open-mindedness. My wife used to work with a guy who refused to eat vegetables unless it was broccoli covered in cheese sauce or was deep fried.

I think most of us have our lines about what we will and won't try, but if you're not willing to step outside of your McDonalds and chicken tendies comfort zone then people are going to judge you a little bit.

Says the guy who hates fried pickles. XD XD XD