The Messenger

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
A heads up for you classic Ninja Gaiden fans out there. This one looks familiar at first, but one of the coolest elements is that you have to run through these gates in order to shift time forwards and backwards in order to progress and solve puzzles. When you move through a gate, the environment changes slightly to allow for progression since, you know, the environment has changed with the passing of time.

Also, when you time shift, the game goes back and forth between 8 bit and 16 bit environments and music. That is pretty badass.

Coming out tomorrow and I'll definitely be grabbing it for Switch. Also coming for Steam, I believe.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I’ve been following this game for a little while. I’m a HUGE Ninja Gaiden fan, and really looking forward to playing this. Pre-loaded it on my Switch last night, will start on it after the work day is done. I hope it lives up to its pedigree.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This looks great. I'm gonna have to give it a try.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Any word of a PS4 / XB1 release? I can't find anything on that (apart from being listed under these platforms at some sites), and there is no mention of it being console exclusive.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
This looks promising. I really like how the sword is similar to the one in Ninja Gaiden III.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Just got done playing it for a couple of hours.
Unexpectedly, the dialogue is humorous and pretty witty. It even breaks the 4th wall on occasion. The dialogue between the shopkeeper and the Messenger is rather entertaining. There are lots of nods to other franchises and riffs on gaming in general.

Gameplay-wise, at this point, it's Ninja Gaiden, equal emphasis on platforming & combat. The main mechanic is that you can jump again right after slashing an enemy, projectile, or candelabra in mid-air, and can continue to do so if you can chain attacks mid-air. Have seen a couple of new gameplay mechanics introduced already. You can buy new skills & perks at the shop.

Really digging it so far, will keep playing for sure.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
when you time shift, the game goes back and forth between 8 bit and 16 bit environments and music. That is pretty badass.

Is it though? Or is it just a cringey reference to the fact that it's pretending to be a what would have been a state-of-the-art video game from the early 90s?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Is it though? Or is it just a cringey reference to the fact that it's pretending to be a what would have been a state-of-the-art video game from the early 90s?

1.) Stop using the term 'cringey'. It's faux internet douchery and I like you too much to see you act like this.

2.) There's nothing wrong with retro game design. Hating on a game for that reason is also internet douchery.

Trust me, I know these things. I've engaged in a fair bit of it myself over the years.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
2.) There's nothing wrong with retro game design. Hating on a game for that reason is also internet douchery.

Trust me, I know these things. I've engaged in a fair bit of it myself over the years.

What exactly is "retro game design"? If this game is trying to capture a throw-back/ninja gaiden aesthetic, it fails. The main character sprite looks goofy, animates goofy (swim animation), the enemies look goofy, the music is awful.

So is it designed like a "retro game"?, well, I'm guessing it's not going to be designed like a pure action game. I'm seeing weird menus/etc. It comes across as an embarrassing joke.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
A generic catch-all for "we used pixel graphics to distract from the lack of interesting gameplay". That said, this one is quite fun.

Hahaha. Alright, and I'm not saying that it couldn't be without playing it but...

A heads up for you classic Ninja Gaiden fans out there. This one looks familiar at first, but one of the coolest elements is that you have to run through these gates in order to shift time forwards and backwards in order to progress and solve puzzles.

Would a fan of classic Ninja Gaiden truly think this looks similar to those games? Should non-linear "time shifting" and puzzles be viewed as a revolutionary way to spice up something "familiar", or should it be viewed as a padding to make a product more palatable due to the potential of the consumer feeling "cheated" having purchased a no-frills action game?

I get it, it's 2018, and if you're going to do a half-assed attempt at paying an homage to a series of three NES titles, your average person probably wouldn't want a clone, and would be happy with these foreign element gimmicks.

TO ME, a game like this spits in the face of true Ninja Gaiden fans.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Hahaha. Alright, and I'm not saying that it couldn't be without playing it but...

Would a fan of classic Ninja Gaiden truly think this looks similar to those games? Should non-linear "time shifting" and puzzles be viewed as a revolutionary way to spice up something "familiar", or should it be viewed as a padding to make a product more palatable due to the potential of the consumer feeling "cheated" having purchased a no-frills action game?

I get it, it's 2018, and if you're going to do a half-assed attempt at paying an homage to a series of three NES titles, your average person probably wouldn't want a clone, and would be happy with these foreign element gimmicks.

TO ME, a game like this spits in the face of true Ninja Gaiden fans.

I guess it depends. Ninja Gaiden has 30+ years of nostalgia on it's side and that's some pretty powerful stuff. I just went into the game looking to have some fun and it delivered. Whenever you compare your game to any classic series, it seems like you're just making it harder on yourself review wise than you should be.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
What exactly is "retro game design"? If this game is trying to capture a throw-back/ninja gaiden aesthetic, it fails. The main character sprite looks goofy, animates goofy (swim animation), the enemies look goofy, the music is awful.

So is it designed like a "retro game"?, well, I'm guessing it's not going to be designed like a pure action game. I'm seeing weird menus/etc. It comes across as an embarrassing joke.

Duh. This is what Ninja Gaiden would be like if it were a retro game. Ninja Gaiden is a 3d action game very popular. I guess ASID stands for A Stupid Idiot Dummy. Stupid stupid stupid. How would you know what it'd look like? You troll!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Hmm, looks like I may have to give this one a try after all:

Well, to be fair, there is little chance that a video would have been released with the producer/director and sound designer of the original Ninja Gaiden for NES if they would have shat on it.

Even if they gave their stamp of approval on it legitimately, it doesn't matter.

The game is clearly inspired by Ninja Gaiden and it doesn't 'spit in the face' of the fans. To be quite honest, I thought about how to respond to this comment and realized I just don't care enough about ASID's opinion to engage. Not a low key troll-this is legitimately how I feel about his comment-I just don't have the juice to type anything up.

Sylvie's an ace though. I could hang with Syvie.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Well, to be fair, there is little chance that a video would have been released with the producer/director and sound designer of the original Ninja Gaiden for NES if they would have shat on it.

Murray disagrees.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I am really interested in playing this, but kinda hooked on Dead Cells for now. I will check it out once I am sick of DC.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Its a fun game, but I feel the enemies are uninspired and are kind of just there. Only been a few that did it for me. The platforming is pretty good though

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I was not aware of this. Thanks for sharing. I will definitely check it out if/when it gets a PC release!

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
1.) Stop using the term 'cringey'. It's faux internet douchery and I like you too much to see you act like this.

1) Wrong, fuck off old man
2) wrong again old man

I showed you :cool:

Sylvie's an ace though. I could hang with Syvie.
All things considered, yep, I'm cooler than hell :cool::cool: