Streets of Rage 4 Reveal Trailer

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm feeling the beard but not his outfit. Blaze looks great.

Doesn't look all that from the small game play footage but I'll wait it out and see what happens.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
The animation and hand drawn backgrounds/assets look fantastic. I love Blaze's design, and Axel looks great (although I've never been a fan of the beard so full that there are no lips look).

I ran the trailer frame by frame during the game play footage portion, and If the controls end up matching the tightness of the animation, we've got a winner. This is pretty exciting news!

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
A lot of doom and gloom in this thread, don’t forget Sonic Mania was a decent return to 2D roots, perhaps this will be too.

Really hoping they go all out on the soundtrack.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I’m cautiously optimistic.

I don’t mind the art style too much, but I’m not surprised that some don’t care for it.

This game has some big shoes to fill: control needs to be tight & responsive, animation can’t afford to be choppy, no stupid gimmicks, and the “feel” has to be right.

Most of all tho, I hope Yuzo Koshiro gets aboard to compose the soundtrack. Someone asked him on Twitter, and his response boiled down to “no comment at this time”

I’m totally on board to get this and play it, I just hope I’m not disappointed.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Dotemu....

Already know this will be shit.

HEY HEY, what are you trying to say?

French Dotemu understands how to make great rEtRo games!! They understand what will make people excited!!

This game looks AWESOME. IS there anyway I can give them money before it's out!!

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I really want to like this. The more I watch the trailer the more it feels like I'm trying to convince myself. The pallet just doesn't match the SOR vibe. Music doesn't match up.

I'm sure this is early but I hope there is more that matches up with the old. The Sonic mania approach to this would have been the right one. Think of what Sega could do giving a lot of their old franchises the Sonic Mania treatment. Shinobi, Golden Axe, Altered Beast. Oh baby!

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I like what,lizardcube did with the wonderboy the dragons trap remake.Still i just hope the gameplay turns out right given this is in western developers hands and it's not a in-house sega production.Though i wonder what did it for sega to farm out sor to another.

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Looks cool. Not a fan of the ultra hd artstyle though.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Looks like one of those Renovation Genesis covers, only this time it'll match the game. Yet, there was beauty hidden in that westernized ugliness, maybe here in this one, too. Sound sucks, though.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
At the 35 second mark, the signs in Chinese say fruit, supermarket (except it clearly looks like an entrance to an apartment building), meatbun, and hotel. It says all that except it shows zero of the hustle-and-bustle of life except a couple dudes playing majiang. That shows to me they don't care about the little details and are phoning it in. This game will most likely be mediocre.

edit: and why visibly age Axel yet keep Blaze looking the same? rhetorical question

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Actually Blaze has put on a few pounds, especially in the ass area

I definitely noticed that they thickened her up :D

In any event, game looks dope. Digging the new designs for Axel and Blaze. The art style isnt perfect but at least its 2d animation and not that 2.5d shit we've had to deal with since the PS2 era. I'm glad we're finally getting away from that.

Also its starting to seem like these dudes are gunning for Wayforwards job. If this and WJ2 turn out good, they will have some solid competition on their hands.

I like what,lizardcube did with the wonderboy the dragons trap remake.Still i just hope the gameplay turns out right given this is in western developers hands and it's not a in-house sega production.Though i wonder what did it for sega to farm out sor to another.

Oh they made that one too?! I heard that was good. Maybe these guys are already proven.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I definitely noticed that they thickened her up :D
Oh they made that one too?! I heard that was good. Maybe these guys are already proven.
Yeah it's a solid entry i have a copy of wonderboy the dragons trap for PS4.Lizardcube did good by that remake as for guard crush games i don't know i'm just cautiously optimistic at this point.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I remember SEGA pulling a Nintendo on a SoR fanmade HD remake right around the time Christian Whitehead's Sonic CD re-release came out. Somehow, the more loose, fan friendly approach on Sonic fangames, mods and hacks, doesn't apply to anything else SEGA makes. If only those guys got hired for a SoR Mania, we wouldn't have this shite.

I would pay all of the money for a Streets of Rage Remake port on a console.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I tried that a little while back and for some reason nobody could explain it would freeze a few seconds into the opening. The only suggestion anyone had was use an older version of Retropie. They've probably fixed that bug since then though, I should give it a look.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There's plenty of Beats of Rage material. The problem is most are junk. I'd love to have a curated list of qualty BoR projects.