MVS MV-1B Stuck at Crosshatch

Hello,

I searched on the forum for croshatch and found a few posts, in one specific post Raz mention to look in the Memory Test. I think Im looking at the right place, here are some pics, I have unibios 3.3 installed. Looks to me that the test mode is on, but not sure where to check.

2uqbsco.jpg

2uz3qcl.jpg

Thanks

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I would check your supergun (I'm assuming) because the test dipswitch is off (1) but the test button must be being pressed on the harness. Also, dipswitch 8 is the pause dipswitch, you need to turn that off as well. In fact, I'd switch all dipswitches off except 7 (which is freeplay).

Last edited:
I have connected directly from the jamma harness to a cheap rgb to vga. All harddips are set to off on the board. The wires from the harness are not connected to anything, just wires everywhere, but for sure the ground is not touching anything.

Now the behavior changed, with the game inserted I get this screen... stays like this for a few seconds, then the letters start to change colors changing to garbled graphics and finally black screen.

331pow8.jpg

Dropwire

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Now the behavior changed, with the game inserted I get this screen... stays like this for a few seconds, then the letters start to change colors changing to garbled graphics and finally black screen.

331pow8.jpg

That error appears to be a problem with the Upper backup Ram (there are 2 RAM ICs in the backup section). Could be a bad trace from the RAM, a problem with the HC32 or D4990a IC in the backup section as well.

- Did you remove the backup battery ?

- Do you have a Logic Probe to check the states on theICs?

- Have you checked the board for any broken traces or sketchy looking "Vias"?

- Have patience , coffee, maybe some alcohol ..:glee:

Also just in case you don't have it, here is the Link for the Neo Geo Dev Wiki, great resource for repair info and IC (Chip) pinouts. https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

That error appears to be a problem with the Upper backup Ram (there are 2 RAM ICs in the backup section). Could be a bad trace from the RAM, a problem with the HC32 or D4990a IC in the backup section as well.

- Did you remove the backup battery ?

- Do you have a Logic Probe to check the states on theICs?

- Have you checked the board for any broken traces or sketchy looking "Vias"?

- Have patience , coffee, maybe some alcohol ..:glee:

Also just in case you don't have it, here is the Link for the Neo Geo Dev Wiki, great resource for repair info and IC (Chip) pinouts. https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Thanks for the repply

-I didn't remove the battery yet

-I have a logic probe, but how you guys know what should be high or low? Just based on the part number?

Here are some pics of the board, I removed the Unibios. I will desolder the battery and give a board a good clean before looking for traces.

2ylwcco.jpg

28lsacw.jpg

Thanks

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
if you have a diagnostic bios, run the ram tests before doing any surgery.

Dropwire

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks for the repply

-I didn't remove the battery yet

-I have a logic probe, but how you guys know what should be high or low? Just based on the part number?

Here are some pics of the board, I removed the Unibios. I will desolder the battery and give a board a good clean before looking for traces.

Thanks

I agree with Xian, run the Diagnostic bios first before you commit to surgery.

With that being said here is some info I have regarding the HC32 and D4990a in the backup section based on reading I have taken from a know working MVS.

Use a DMM to check for good ground as well as VCC for both HC32 and the D4990a. Also when checking for continuity don't just rely on the "beep" of the meter to indicate good continuity, you want to see between .40 ohms or less to be a good "trace" the lower the resistive value the better. Hope this helps, just my 2 cents.

Logic Values (L= Low, H = High, P=Pulse)

HC32 (14 pin)
1 High
2 Low
3 High
4 High
5 High
6 High
7 Low (Ground)
8 High
9 High
10 High
11 High
12 High
13 High
14 High (VCC Approx. 4.5 ~5 Vdc)

D4990a (16 pin)
1 High (VCC & Backup Battery)
2 High (VCC & Backup Battery)
3 High (VCC & Backup Battery)
4 No Connection
5 Low
6 High
7 Low
8 Low
9 Low
10 Low
11 Pulse
12 High
13 No Connection
14 ~ (To 32.768 Crystal XT)
15 ~ (To 32.768 Crystal XT)
16 High (VCC & Backup Battery)

I agree with Xian, run the Diagnostic bios first before you commit to surgery.

Logic Values (L= Low, H = High, P=Pulse)

HC32 (14 pin)
1 High
2 Low
3 High
4 High
5 High
6 High
7 Low (Ground)
8 High
9 High
10 High
11 High
12 High
13 High

D4990a (16 pin)
4 No Connection
5 Low
6 High
7 Low
8 Low
9 Low
10 Low
11 Pulse
12 High
13 No Connection
14 ~ (To 32.768 Crystal XT)
15 ~ (To 32.768 Crystal XT)

What Im getiing:

HC32 (14 pin)
1 High
2 High
3 High
4 High
5 High
6 High
7 Low (Ground)
8 High
9 High
10 Low
11 High
12 High
13 High

D4990a (16 pin)
4 No Connection
5 Low
6 High
7 Low
8 Low
9 Low
10 High/Low Very Slow change from High to Low back and forth
11 Pulse
12 High
13 No Connection
14 ~ (To 32.768 Crystal XT) Starts High and dims to nothing
15 ~ (To 32.768 Crystal XT) Flickering High with a pitch noise

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I have an MV-1B like his (DIP-style Z80 RAM) and mine gives Backup RAM errors at random addresses. Both backup RAM chips are replaced (figured why not) and I checked the wiring of the RAMs to the CPU and BIOS, no broken connections. The control signals on the RAM chips seemed fine, not missing.

Dropwire

Kuroko's Training Dummy
What Im getiing:

HC32 (14 pin)
1 High
2 High
3 High
4 High
5 High
6 High
7 Low (Ground)
8 High
9 High
10 Low
11 High
12 High
13 High

D4990a (16 pin)
4 No Connection
5 Low
6 High
7 Low
8 Low
9 Low
10 High/Low Very Slow change from High to Low back and forth
11 Pulse
12 High
13 No Connection
14 ~ (To 32.768 Crystal XT) Starts High and dims to nothing
15 ~ (To 32.768 Crystal XT) Flickering High with a pitch noise

Based on your screen shot, it appears the Diagnostic Bios is confirming what the UNI-BIOS was showing before an error in the upper backup ram segment. The system is sending out a series of bits and is expecting to see the same bits returned. In your screen shot the first 2 digits of are coming back incorrectly. If I am not mistaken the first 2 digits are sent to the Upper RAM chip and the other 2 go to the Lower RAM chip.

The readings you show for the HC32 and the D4990a don’t look bad, the discrepancies on some of the pins could be a broken trace or a failed RAM Chip (there are only 2).

- If you haven’t done so already I would remove the battery, clean the area, remove any left over solder flux or residue and use a meter and magnifying lens to look at the traces on both sides of the board.

- If you have a donor board you could try swapping the RAM out. If you had to buy new RAM it shouldn’t be too bad price wise, I just picked up some replacements for about $2 ~ $3 a chip including shipping on eBay. But before you spend any money I would troubleshoot further.

- just a word of caution when you begin working on these boards and your removing or changing components be careful not to create more trace damage. Use good solder flux to promote heat conductivity. Take your time cleaning the area with some good isopropyl at least 70% or better (I use a 99% Isopropyl).

Hope this helps.:scratch:

Anyone else out there please feel free to correct me if any of the above is incorrect.

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
- If you have a donor board you could try swapping the RAM out. If you had to buy new RAM it shouldn’t be too bad price wise, I just picked up some replacements for about $2 ~ $3 a chip including shipping on eBay. But before you spend any money I would troubleshoot further.

Mind sharing a link? I ended up paying as much in shipping for the replacements I needed to order recently as the chips themselves cost.

Based on your screen shot, it appears the Diagnostic Bios is confirming what the UNI-BIOS was showing before an error in the upper backup ram segment. The system is sending out a series of bits and is expecting to see the same bits returned. In your screen shot the first 2 digits of are coming back incorrectly. If I am not mistaken the first 2 digits are sent to the Upper RAM chip and the other 2 go to the Lower RAM chip.

The readings you show for the HC32 and the D4990a don’t look bad, the discrepancies on some of the pins could be a broken trace or a failed RAM Chip (there are only 2).

- If you haven’t done so already I would remove the battery, clean the area, remove any left over solder flux or residue and use a meter and magnifying lens to look at the traces on both sides of the board.

- just a word of caution when you begin working on these boards and your removing or changing components be careful not to create more trace damage. Use good solder flux to promote heat conductivity. Take your time cleaning the area with some good isopropyl at least 70% or better (I use a 99% Isopropyl).

Hope this helps.:scratch:

Anyone else out there please feel free to correct me if any of the above is incorrect.

Thanks, I have a bad MV1C worst case scenario I have some place to start. I will troubleshoot before for sure...

What's wrong with the MV1C ? I actually prefer it since it is a top Cartridge.

The game runs with a lot of glitch graphics, like blocks of weird pixels... sound works ok. The trace of pin 10 of the bios is ripped. Missing Hard Dip Switch.

Dropwire

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The game runs with a lot of glitch graphics, like blocks of weird pixels... sound works ok. The trace of pin 10 of the bios is ripped. Missing Hard Dip Switch.

If you ever want to fix it, I have a few MV-1Cs that I can pull sample readings and measurements from.

If you ever want to fix it, I have a few MV-1Cs that I can pull sample readings and measurements from.

Thanks, Im almost putting the 2 boards on ebay as is and buying a working one. I love to troubleshoot and spend time fixing but life is busy and I never have time to do, and to be honest I just want to play the damn thing lol

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Regards the stuck at the cross hatch, assuming connectivity is OK, that Neo-Buf caught my eye. I saw the same behaviour on an MV1A this week which was caused by the Neo-Buf on that board, associated with the PROG data bus connections to / from 68K. But on the 1B, not sure where that Neo-Buf sits.

Regards the stuck at the cross hatch, assuming connectivity is OK, that Neo-Buf caught my eye. I saw the same behaviour on an MV1A this week which was caused by the Neo-Buf on that board, associated with the PROG data bus connections to / from 68K. But on the 1B, not sure where that Neo-Buf sits.

Not it gives me Ram Errors... I still didn't have time to mess with the board :(