Jesus

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
The law doesn't care about whether a country exists or not, he should at least have a US flag flying also. However it is outlined by that US Code flag display regulations... some local restaurant got in trouble for just having up a single flag for whatever their themed month was, but they took down their US flag to display it. I guess someone got mad at them for taking down their US flag to put up an Italy or Germany flag instead.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
However it is outlined by that US Code flag display regulations... some local restaurant got in trouble for just having up a single flag for whatever their themed month was, but they took down their US flag to display it. I guess someone got mad at them for taking down their US flag to put up an Italy or Germany flag instead.

Huh, interesting. Can you dig up the news article for that, I'd be interested in reading it.

It was very strange coming home and seeing one of the biggest, if not the biggest, flags I've ever seen being the flag of a traitorous secession right next to the highway. I guess that's what makes America a free nation, even though it's dumb as hell. The Lost Cause revisionism has truly messed up many generations of Americans. One of the biggest failings of the American public education system, easily.

I even clearly remember my 11th grade AP US History teacher saying the Civil War was fought for states' rights first and foremost, not for slavery.

...yeah, states' rights to own slaves. AP class, man!

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Huh, interesting. Can you dig up the news article for that, I'd be interested in reading it.

There was no article that I am aware of. It is possible it was brought up in one of the small local papers, but they don't have online archives of their stuff.

Civil War was about a bunch of stuff, not just one thing.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
There was no article that I am aware of. It is possible it was brought up in one of the small local papers, but they don't have online archives of their stuff.

Civil War was about a bunch of stuff, not just one thing.

Come on man. Don’t tell me this was the sock shop talking point...

Either way, I am interested to research this story.

Us flag laws are so ignored most of the time. People wearing Stars and Stripes bathing suits are due for huge fines. Sad.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Come on man. Don’t tell me this was the sock shop talking point...

Either way, I am interested to research this story.

Us flag laws are so ignored most of the time. People wearing Stars and Stripes bathing suits are due for huge fines. Sad.

Yep, and there are all sorts of variations of the flag on t-shirts and whatnot, which are also against teh rulez. I was recently reading about the laws because I was wondering why flags are drawn backwards on uniforms and planes.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The law doesn't care about whether a country exists or not, he should at least have a US flag flying also. However it is outlined by that US Code flag display regulations... some local restaurant got in trouble for just having up a single flag for whatever their themed month was, but they took down their US flag to display it. I guess someone got mad at them for taking down their US flag to put up an Italy or Germany flag instead.

Some municipalites have zoning laws, but they can't be used to stifle free speech.

The town of Preble, NY doesn't have much for zoning laws. Except for the fact that it is a dry town with two bars that were grandfathered in.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yep, and there are all sorts of variations of the flag on t-shirts and whatnot, which are also against teh rulez. I was recently reading about the laws because I was wondering why flags are drawn backwards on uniforms and planes.

Someone actually explained this to me, but in so many words, American military uniforms feature the U.S. flag, which is worn facing backward. The rule is that the blue field of stars should always be in the highest position of honor on the uniform. That position has always been the right shoulder with the flag's blue stars facing forward. - some random site.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Stars face forward because you are not allowed to turn your back to the enemy. If the stars are facing backwards, the symbolism is that you are running away. Tell that to the cop next time you get pulled over and see what happens!

US Code enforcement seems a bit weird. There is a general understanding that it only applies to the government, yet there are things in there that apply to citizens.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Stars face forward because you are not allowed to turn your back to the enemy. If the stars are facing backwards, the symbolism is that you are running away. Tell that to the cop next time you get pulled over and see what happens!

US Code enforcement seems a bit weird. There is a general understanding that it only applies to the government, yet there are things in there that apply to citizens.

My memory (I suppose this would be easy enough to look up if I could be bothered) is that it is a display code, not a criminal law. The flag code says how you should display a flag, but doesn't prescribe penalties for not following the proper display. Go ahead and fly an upside down flag or a nazi flag over the US flag, or a tattered $5 flag made in China.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
It appears there are only penalties for citizens who destroy the flag.

Whoever knowingly mutilates, defaces, physically defiles, burns, maintains on the floor or ground, or tramples upon any flag of the United States shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both.

Otherwise it is a guideline only and nothing else is enforced. The whole thing appears to be a big bag of myths and people just doing whatever. There also does not seem to be any rules about flying flags of other countries without also flying the US flag. There do exists laws by the State or even town that may have further restrictions. For example, in NY it seems you can't fly a foreign flag on public property.

Even the government just does whatever. Having the flag on a cake or on a postage stamp is not allowed.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
West

Someone actually explained this to me, but in so many words, American military uniforms feature the U.S. flag, which is worn facing backward. The rule is that the blue field of stars should always be in the highest position of honor on the uniform. That position has always been the right shoulder with the flag's blue stars facing forward. - some random site.

Because of the wonderful things he does

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member

Basically the flag goes on the right arm, and you're facing toward the enemy and charging into battle. Therefore the flag you're carrying when viewed from that side would look backwards. I never thought about it until it was randomly explained to me while I was enlisted.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member

Guile.jpg