What are your favorite shoot em ups?

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I have really been getting into shoot em ups again. What are your favorite shoot em ups of all time?

Here are a few of mine

R type iii (snes)
Lightening force (genesis)
Aerofighters (snes)
forgotten worlds (turbografx cd)
Truxton (genesis)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Thunder Force III
Spriggan
Lords of Thunder
Musha
Sengoku Blade

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
You’re favourites of all time are mainly console ports of the arcade versions?

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
Shoot em ups that I own my favorites are:

PS1 Raiden 1 with new arranged music,
Snes Gradius 3 only problem is those damn slowdowns,
Megadrive Truxton

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

I have really been getting into shoot em ups again. What are your favorite shoot em ups of all time?

Here are a few of mine

R type iii (snes)
Lightening force (genesis)
Aerofighters (snes)
forgotten worlds (turbografx cd)
Truxton (genesis)

IMG_20180818_132405.JPG

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You’re favourites of all time are mainly console ports of the arcade versions?

So what? Do you want him to lie and say he prefers the AC originals which he's probably never played.

Anyways, anyone who lists their favorite STG's in this thread will be enabling OP's foolish oversight/lack of forum awareness. Good job RAZO/godzilla12139283928!

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Well we all know those games, but to list specific ports with no given reasons, is peculiar.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
At first it may seem peculiar, but andsuchisdeath is right: if you always played the game as a port version, you have more attachment to it, than to an unknown/less known original. You could find other reasons, too. I, for example, prefer Truxton on the Genny to the original, because of the lowered difficulty. I also prefer this port's music.

The latter is a reason, why the SCD version of Forgotten Worlds, which offers a new ast, may be preferable to some. Then there's also the fondness to use a certain controller or even a specific resolution. That's the subjective side, but from an impartial perspective, some ports are better, than their sources, like the Saturn version of Hyper Duel.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Fuck you Asid. I will post however and whenever the fuck I please.

Thunder Force III
Spriggan
Lords of Thunder
Musha
Sengoku Blade

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Now that this is in the right section, my faves:
Gradius V
Blazing Lazers
Air Zonk
Gradius III (probably more nostalgia than anything else)
Truxton

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
aids if you and I team up go for a double attack spin-by-the-rosary I think we can take Razo. We are Men of Honor who don't like outside-SNK filth in General Discussion and will fight to the swollen eye to protect that subforum's sanctity.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
aids if you and I team up go for a double attack spin-by-the-rosary I think we can take Razo. We are Men of Honor who don't like outside-SNK filth in General Discussion and will fight to the swollen eye to protect that subforum's sanctity.

This is messed up Sage, you're suppose to be my bud. Tag Teaming is only fair when I have a Partner. No Homo shit intended.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
razo choose your partner bro but i can't say who will tagteam with a heel who thinks posting non-SNK shit in GENERAL DISCUSSION is ok

where the fuck is MetalSlugVet, fuck that guy for tearing us apart, where you at homeboy, plane tiiiiiiiiiiicket

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
razo choose your partner bro but i can't say who will tagteam with a heel who thinks posting non-SNK shit in GENERAL DISCUSSION is ok

where the fuck is MetalSlugVet, fuck that guy for tearing us apart, where you at homeboy, plane tiiiiiiiiiiicket

I agree, Forum etiquette is important here at NG.com but no one is going to tear us apart because we are brothers. Asid called me out so I told him to go Fuck Himself. It really wasn't anything too crazy and it's not the first time, just another day at Neo-Geo.com . I love this place.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
I think an individual list would be very long. Too many good ones. However, I'll always come back for the games from Psikyo, Toaplan, Raizing and -to a certain extend- Cave. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of their games. Ok, maybe Sol Divide. But everyone has a skeleton in the closet ;)

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Lately i’ve been enjoying Layer Section II. Strangely relaxing sort of game.

Also i am a huge fan of Hyper Duel (i only play it in Saturn mode)

Last edited:

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
this could take a while:
for the commodore amiga, stardust and super stardust, x-out and z-out, uridium 2, project x, zynaps, datastorm, alien breed series, turrican series....and far too many to go into. :D
cops:
outzone, thundercross 1 and 2, gradius/nemesis series including salamander and lifeforce, pro gear, r-type series.....
i'll stop now, need BOOZE! :D