Souls-likes

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I've finally gotten into Bloodborne, and wow, once it clicks, it really is as good as everyone says it is. Plays beautifully, maybe a little more precise than Nioh if I had to try to describe it. Every now and then I feel like the diagonal movement when locked on is kinda wonky, almost like in DS2, but it's never enough to be a major issue.

But wow I didn't realize just how much I'd come to appreciate the relative straight forward-ness of Nioh compared to Bloodsouls. Glancing through wikis for BB and seeing the requirements for character questlines, umbilical cords, etc, some of them are just out there. No way in hell I'd see a lot of that stuff without a wiki.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I was kind of the opposite:

Nioh Beta > BloodBorne > few failed attempts to play Dark Souls 1

I just found it underwhelming coming from BloodBorne. Only now I decided to give it a serious try, and now I'm in love (reached the Darkroot Garden).

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I finally finished Bloodborne last night. Consumed three umbilical cords, beat The First Hunter and the Moon Presence, got the true ending with the slug and the doll (but no trophy, which was kind of annoying but whatever).

It's a very good game, obviously, but I still prefer Nioh. So much more intuitive and it doesn't have the nasty, punishing tricks that From just can't help itself but to use (i.e. Curse, Frenzy, whatever).

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I finally finished Bloodborne last night. Consumed three umbilical cords, beat The First Hunter and the Moon Presence, got the true ending with the slug and the doll (but no trophy, which was kind of annoying but whatever).

It's a very good game, obviously, but I still prefer Nioh. So much more intuitive and it doesn't have the nasty, punishing tricks that From just can't help itself but to use (i.e. Curse, Frenzy, whatever).

Did you beat the DLC? It's one of the best DLCs ever made. It has some really cool lore to if you read up.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
. Sekiro looks like da bomb.

Was going to get nioh, but saw it and only have to wait one more week. Hope I can do better than in Bloodborne._ an abhorrent beast again... Right away? blech only like 2 pushovers between.:scratch: why would you know what a spoder man game is like unless it was ur job?

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
For trophies that require slabs, I uploaded the save file online, used one slab for the trophy, then downloaded the save file and did the same until I got them all.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I'm starting to become concerned by the apparent review embargo on Sekiro. We're two days from launch, and there are zero reviews on Metacritic. That's not always a harbinger of doom, but it sure increases the odds.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Did you beat the DLC? It's one of the best DLCs ever made. It has some really cool lore to if you read up.
I'm tempted to, but most of what I've read says that it's a pain on NG+, and I'm sort of debating if I want to try it like that or not. And I just started playing the Nioh DLC (holy hell the first half-centipede boss was not messing around), so I'll probably finish all of that first then go back and play The Old Hunters.

I'm starting to become concerned by the apparent review embargo on Sekiro. We're two days from launch, and there are zero reviews on Metacritic. That's not always a harbinger of doom, but it sure increases the odds.
It's more common than it used to be (the embargos, I mean)- Bethesda does it for all of its games (bad on Fallout 76, not so in the case of Doom, for instance), sometimes publishers do it when a game has a heavy online component.

Reasonable concern, though.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I at least played the PS3 Scholar version, without the extra BS

QHew8qp.png

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
K_127 is a true man of culture.

I am SO glad you discovered love for Dark Souls. Bloodborne is awesome but Dark Souls is the king of From Software IMO. And it has more to do with atmosphere, mood and the way the game creates an interactive experience that is unique and measurable relative to the degree of investment the player puts into it.

Hidetaka Miyazaki is the god of game development right now, IMO. Of course, Berserk is a massive influence on him and he really understands how to tap into its dark and very human themes. I'd love for them to bring him in on any future attempts to adapt it into another stab at an anime series. Somebody that can shed some insight into understanding and interpreting its vibe on a different stage.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Anyone else playing Remnant: From the Ashes? Even though it scales damage taken and received, it's pretty clearly intended to be played in multi-player given the boss fight mechanics. It's also pretty damn good at hitting that DS sweet spot of tough, borderline annoying sometimes, but always making you feel like you're getting better and will win next time.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I think I'm done with Nioh for now.

Got the platinum from the base game, plus as many trophies I could get from the DLC (90% overall, missing 10 trophies). Would have continued if it wasn't for the Destroyer of Demons trophy (redoing all missions on NG++).

Great game. I personally prefer the Souls games, but it's still equally as good. In fact, I think there is a chance one would still like it even if he / she was not into the Souls genre, but enjoy action games in general, due to the fast-paced combat.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I think I'm done with Nioh for now.

Got the platinum from the base game, plus as many trophies I could get from the DLC (90% overall, missing 10 trophies). Would have continued if it wasn't for the Destroyer of Demons trophy (redoing all missions on NG++).

Great game. I personally prefer the Souls games, but it's still equally as good. In fact, I think there is a chance one would still like it even if he / she was not into the Souls genre, but enjoy action games in general, due to the fast-paced combat.

The DLC is no joke. I finished the main game on Way of the Strong and the last mission on the last DLC still whupped me repeatedly, on base difficulty (Way of the Warrior, I guess?) until I offered a cup and got a partner who was leveled into the stratosphere.

I never did do the Ryu Hayabusa fight, though, gotta go back and beat him sometime.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Code Vein is finally out, after only a year-plus delay. It's kind of surprisingly how not-polished it is given all that extra time to work on it. The biggest issue is how vague combat feels. The weight just isn't there like it needs to be. The hitboxes are very inconsistent as well and still mess me up 10+ hours into it. There's a ton of story, and the story's not terrible, but it's not good or intriguing like DS, and the way it's told is beyond annoying- you arrive at a clearing, then you get a bizarrely long load screen, then a 30 second cutscene, then another load time, then another cut scene, another load, then fight a boss. Load times in general are awful. Level designs are not outright bad, but they're confusing and tend to have irritating gimmicks to them. Leveling is much simpler than most games in the genre. The camera devolves into a complete mess sometimes, in particular when you're fighting large enemies or in a confined space, so basically when you're already most in danger. And the partner system is odd. You get an AI partner for everything, and the encounters are definitely designed around that, but the AI is weird. Holds its own for long stretches, then will charge into a bad situation and get killed immediately, or it'll stand head-to-head with boss that's charging its biggest move and then just stand and take the hit.

Remnant was the far superior game, The Surge 2 seems better so far, also, though I've only put about an hour into the latter.

Last edited: