Project Hardcore - Unreleased Since 1994, Coming 2019

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Here's something cool that I just heard about today.

This game looks like it has serious potential for something that was almost completed in 1994.

A lost game coming to PS4 and PS Vita:

project-hardcore.net

"During the early 1990s, the Swedish video game developer Digital Illusions (also known as DICE) started working on their new game. Developed for Commodore Amiga, Sega Mega Drive / Genesis and Sega Mega-CD, the game was about 99% finished."

They've announced plans for a physical release and the PS4 and Vita are likely what they're talking about but because 'Big Evil Corporation' (creator of Tanglewood) has some involvement in Project Hardcore I'm hoping we might see this for the Genesis / Mega Drive.
Yeah, a long shot, but it would rock.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
you're just going to put on your shelf and never play it

ps: stupid bitch.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
^ what that guy said.

Also we all know how games that were never finished or released end up. Look at Duke Nukem Forever as the prime example.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
So they are developing it on Mega Drive hardware, then porting to modern platforms... But not releasing the MD version?

That makes no sense

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
that's similar in theme to the old project, but the graphics have been redone.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I think it looks like a pretty decent Turrican clone. Hopefully it will be good. It is always nice to see lost projects come back.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
looks sweet, but i don't think most is going to give a shit.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
There was always something a bit off about Genesis/MD games ported from the Amiga or ST. I still can't put my finger on it.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Omg, someone actually posted a non-Neo game in an appropriate section.

Good job STD...I mean TSD.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
What i believe is the reason it got cancelled was due to them cancelling all games that were not finished and this game had 2 bugs left to do but got cancelled anyway.

-SD-

Camel Slug
So Analogue Interactive are including the Megadrive version on the upcoming Mega Sg system...

Analogue Interactive said:
We're stoked to announce that every Mega Sg includes an unreleased Sega Genesis (sic) game. The only known source code of the game was stored on a dead hard drive that was *barely* recovered. In 1994, Digital Illusions (DICE) cancelled a AAA, 99% complete Sega Genesis game called Hardcore. For 23 years, Hardcore has gone unreleased. It has become one of the most sought after unreleased video games. We're thrilled to announce that Hardcore is being released for the first time ever on Mega Sg.

Hardcore is a fast paced, euro-style run'n'gun, space base thriller. We're dedicated to preserving this piece of video game history and Hardcore is included digitally on each Mega Sg system.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Hopefully they make a Neo Geo port with twin stick functionality.

Those blue "medals" looks like a place holder sprite, and whats with them floating upwards and disappearing 3 mintues after you touch them? Game looks unfinished.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Hopefully they make a Neo Geo port with twin stick functionality.

Yeah, but I wouldn’t buy it unless the cover art and spine were up to scratch and looked good on the shelf...

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Everything in Amiga games looks like a place holder sprite, and whats with them floating upwards and disappearing 3 mintues after you touch them? Amiga games look unfinished.

you might be onto something there

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Only DICE game I play on purpose, is Rally Sport 2. This looks laaaaaammmmeeeee.

GhostSeed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
10 Year Member
Physical copies are up for pre-order for the PS4 and Switch. The Vita version is only digitial now.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
So who’s had a chance to play through Ultracore on their Mega SG? Is the game any good?