Japanese AES = ?

It looks like the JNX and Omega CMVS units won't be available for a bit so I'm thinking of buying a Japanese AES for now. Will I be able to play MVS and US AES carts on it? Anything else to consider before doing this?

I believe the power supply will specify 100v AC input. Is there a good source of US spec power supplies?

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Use the SEARCH. FUNCTION. This shit has been covered dozens of times here and elsewhere on the Internet. Why are you here? Did you read some online article about kool retro gaming and now you absolutely have to have a Neo Geo with real RGB output?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
It looks like the JNX and Omega CMVS units won't be available for a bit so I'm thinking of buying a Japanese AES for now. Will I be able to play MVS and US AES carts on it? Anything else to consider before doing this?

I believe the power supply will specify 100v AC input. Is there a good source of US spec power supplies?

You can use a JPN console in a USA wall socket. Trust me, I’m from Europe.

For an understanding of AES and MVS, all the pro collectors here watch Metal Jesus Rocks and The Immortal John Hancock. John even posts here sometimes, our community is truly blessed.

Here is the video which should get you up to speed.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Yes, you can play the games, but they will display in Japanese. (Some of the earliest games have no language change option)

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
You can use a JPN console in a USA wall socket. Trust me, I’m from Europe.

For an understanding of AES and MVS, all the pro collectors here watch Metal Jesus Rocks and The Immortal John Hancock. John even posts here sometimes, our community is truly blessed.

Here is the video which should get you up to speed.

This video even contains John's fantastic consolized MVS if I remember correctly.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
This video even contains John's fantastic consolized MVS if I remember correctly.

I have just watched it and can confirm his CMVS looks even cooler on the video than it did on the pictures......

Just watched the video. They seems like really nice dudes. The vid says a Japanese cart will play in Japanese in a US AES which makes me think the language is determined by the cart and not the console. So a US cart will play in English in a Japanese console?

I would switch the BIOS but it sounds like the AES doesn't have a socketed chip and I don't want to solder it in there.

madman

So a US cart will play in English in a Japanese console?
Someone already answered this for you in this exact thread. You are beyond help. Another clueless bandwagon retro "gamer."

In order to play in English both the console and cartridge must be US/English? If either the console or cart is Japanese then the language used is Japanese?

madman

In order to play in English both the console and cartridge must be US/English? If either the console or cart is Japanese then the language used is Japanese?

You are one of the dumbest people to ever log into this forum.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Just watched the video. They seems like really nice dudes. The vid says a Japanese cart will play in Japanese in a US AES which makes me think the language is determined by the cart and not the console. So a US cart will play in English in a Japanese console?

This is 100% correct. These guys have been into the Neo Geo for decades, they know what they're talking about. That's why they're making such awesome videos. Kids are so ignorant these days. Someone gotta drop the knowledge you know. I'm glad Jesus is around to help us. You should totally subcribe to their channel btw.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Okay, I'll throw out a straight answer here.

The cartridge doesn't matter, all region carts have the same internals. The language is set by the region of the bios in the system, so a Japanese system will always be Japanese, a US system will be English. Some later titles let you select your language in the options screen, but stuff earlier than about 95 did not. If you install a Unibios (and you should) you can select any region.

This is the same with MVS, home system, and CD. The system sets the language.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member

The cartridge doesn't matter, all region carts have the same internals. The language is set by the region of the bios in the system, so a Japanese system will always be Japanese, a US system will be English. Some later titles let you select your language in the options screen, but stuff earlier than about 95 did not. If you install a Unibios (and you should) you can select any region.

HEATHEN! You dare contradict the teachings of the almighty Metal Jesus?!

Pretty confusing because in the video above John Hancock says this at 2:14:

If you have a Japanese cartidge and you play it in your US console, it will play in Japanese."

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Well then, he's an idiot that should stick to his Nintendo tapes.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, they didn't bother translating Mahjong since they knew only Tweek would play it.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Pretty confusing because in the video above John Hancock says this at 2:14:

John Hancock is a dumbass who puts his family on t-shirts for money. I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him (and since you've seen him, you know the challenge).

Yeah, they didn't bother translating Mahjong since they knew only Tweek would play it.

And play it he did!